Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:35 PM

40 posts, read 171,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you have a point, but that's government work
like corrections officers and council members
for example. that doesn't sound so exciting.
These days correction officers are driving Maseratis!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 05:38 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
I was relaxing/napping on the Great lawn and got woken me up with the little I'm selling candy speech today.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:48 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Vending/selling (commercial activity) is prohibited, therefore law breaking, unless authorized.

See: mta.info | Rules of Conduct
who cares. people litter on the streets every second. Do the police go insane about that? i dont see the outrages of those laws, even though their against the law as well.

i sense serious hypocrisy. I personally have no issues with it at all. Its not like your giving them free money. Your buying candy from them which means your getting for what you pay for.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:50 PM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
who cares. people litter on the streets every second. Do the police go insane about that? i dont see the outrages of those laws, even though their against the law as well.

i sense serious hypocrisy. I personally have no issues with it at all. Its not like your giving them free money. Your buying candy from them which means your getting for what you pay for.
You're assuming the candy wasn't stolen from somewhere else first.

The point of enforcing certain laws (like littering in the subway) is to keep the rat population down. Outside its harder to enforce or even control.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
You're assuming the candy wasn't stolen from somewhere else first.
And why can't we make that assumption?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
If you buy these candy packets at Costco, how much does one package of skittles or M n M's cost? I am just wondering what their markup is.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:29 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ you have a miserable job like that?

lol...even the average joe can do better than that
most of the time, because you can do bad by yourself.

--

it would be no good if you had to beg for money
that you don't even get to keep tho, if that's
what is going on with those kids.
I don't understand what you are saying.

My point was that plenty of people as in average joe blows are able to get out of poverty. You said no one does. I know of a lot of people who were successfully able to make it out of poor families into the middle class because of becoming teachers, police officers, corrections, anything under the broad umbrella of civil service. I never said my work was miserable or that Government work in general was miserable. What the heck are you talking about?

Old 08-18-2012, 11:32 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you buy these candy packets at Costco, how much does one package of skittles or M n M's cost? I am just wondering what their markup is.
I have a bj's membership but I never buy candy so I don't know what a box of candy goes for. But I would think since they sell for a dollar most of the candy that they make about 50-70 cents on each bag of candy. I'll try to check what the boxes cost next time I'm out there and I'll report back.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
And why can't we make that assumption?
You know why.
Think of the mindset of his statement.
Therein you'll find your answer.
I wonder if they were little white kids selling them would there be so much hatred.
Hmmm......

Old 08-18-2012, 03:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
One of my friends does this at school. I think he said he makes about $13 a box. (There's probably 25 bags in each one, so that's a 100% markup). I mean, if they're $1 each, that's about what they cost in a regular store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
You know why.
Think of the mindset of his statement.
Therein you'll find your answer.
I wonder if they were little white kids selling them would there be so much hatred.
Hmmm......
Believe me, I know the answer. I just wanted to see if he had a good response to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City