Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:40 PM

27 posts, read 42,130 times

Advertisements

I have an interview to be a part-time waitress in Manhattan in a few days...but have zero experience waitressing. Any advice on what I should really know for a first timer?

I'd really love some tips on how to act like a proper waitress, order memorization, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 03:43 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
I hope your interview is at a low-end, low-key place.

Presumably you will write things down, so no memorization.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:48 PM

545 posts, read 909,139 times
Just be cute and flirty, you'll make lots in tips.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:14 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,723,126 times
I can only offer advice as a customer not an employer.

Try to learn a lot about the food you're serving in case the customer has questions about it (ingredients, preparation) because some customers ask these questions due to digestive issues or allergies.

Don't slack on drinks, and check your tables. I hate it when my glass is empty and the waitress/waiter ignores me to the point where I have to frantically wave them over for another cocktail. If the people at your table are making eye contact with you (not in a flirtatious way) it probably means they need something (drinks, another dish, check, etc). Markup on drinks is high and it's where restaurants make a LOT of their money, if you pay attention to that detail your boss will be happy with you.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:12 PM

I'll definitely remember that. It's good to have the perspective of the customer I'm supposed to be taking care of. Thank you!

Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,001,404 times
Smile a lot, be engaging, and a bit vivacious - will make a ton of difference on the tips.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:58 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,492 times
Waitress. No experience. Manhattan.

Know your menu- study it and know everything on it. Study the drink and wine lists. Know the specials for each night. Know them. Know fun places in the area in case tourists ask you, "What's good around here".

I hope it's a small place, not too busy. You'll need to learn fast, and be able to hustle- the name of the game is sell meals- all with a smile/personality, and make them happy. The more charming and outgoing you are, the more you'll make. Make the customer feel like they're the President of the United States. A good waitress with excellent service in Manhattan can earn HUGE money.

Soon as you get experience, and can hustle like crazy, apply to a bigger place, like Hotel W., Nubo, or 230 Fifth.

Outdoor Rooftop Bar, Club, Restaurant NYC New York | 230 Fifth

Good luck !

Old 08-19-2012, 07:13 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,487 times
It helps to be hot. Show a lot of cleavage when appropriate, flirt a lot. All of the things feminists fought for in times past.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,723,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
It helps to be hot. Show a lot of cleavage when appropriate, flirt a lot. All of the things feminists fought for in times past.
That only works if your customer is a table full of guys, or lesbians. Count on having straight ladies and couples from time to time- sadly the cleavage factor won't effect the tip amount for those tables.

It helps if the restaurant serves good food, cleavage doesn't atone for a bad meal unless you're working for hooters. If the food is crap (even though it's not your fault), good service might mean the difference between no tip and a big tip since some customers withhold tips as a way to punish a restaurant for serving bad food- but they might think twice if their waitress did a wonderful job. I have been to places with food so horrible I couldn't eat more than a couple of bites and sent the dishes back, but left a huge tip because the waitress/waiter was great and I wasn't going to punish them for the idiots in the kitchen.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:59 PM

The place I'm interviewing for is a small Asian place near Madison Sq Garden. Hopefully since its a small place I can just pick it up quickly by watching the other waitresses there. Thanks for the advice so far guys, you've made me slightly less nervous about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: