Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if other NYC residents mail service has been very slow lately. A letter mailed in Kew Gardens to Rego Park (3 subway stops approx.) took 4 days. Another important letter from Long Island City to Rego Park took a week! (All this is according to postmarks on the envelopes.) Has anyone else noticed such slow mail service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
No...but now that you mention it, I guess I have something to worry about.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,669,806 times
I can't remember the last time I sent snail mail. This must be why they are in financial trouble.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I can't remember the last time I sent snail mail. This must be why they are in financial trouble.
The PO is in a downward spiral because Washington ultimately wants to shut it down and let private enterprise completely take over . At this point it's not that they are in financial trouble because of slow service but may be just the opposite,that there is crappy service because they are not allocated the resources to operate properly.

Either way,soon it will be shut down completely,some company or companies with good lobbyists and lots of cash to bribe politicians will take it over and instead of costing 45 cents to mail something it will cost $4.50.Another triumph for the capitalist free enterprise system.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 AM

393 posts, read 782,890 times
I hate the postal service. In my neighbhorhood, they pretty much stopped trying years ago. The mail gets here but good luck getting anything that's bigger than the mailbox. They refuse to deliver packages..like straight up refuse. They never bring them..just put the pink pick-up slips into the boxes like they tried ringing the doorbell and you weren't home. Even if you ask to re-deliver several times, they just straight up won't. We always have to go pick up packages at the post office, and there is always an insane line because no one gets their mail...EVER. Sometimes they don't even bother with writing out the pink slips, so you have no idea you got a package until someone calls to inquire about it and at that point it's already been sent back. It's beyond annoying.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:24 AM

39 posts, read 150,953 times
Try giving your mailman a better Christmas tip this year

Old 08-16-2012, 12:23 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by them View Post
Isn't illegal to give the mail carrier a cash tip?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:57 PM

393 posts, read 782,890 times
Quote:
Hell no. I'm not tipping someone who can't do the bare minimum her job requires. If that's what this post office is going for by not delivering mail, it's blackmail. There is no way I'm going to reward someone for forcing me to waste hours at the post office to pick up every single package because she doesn't feel like doing her job.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 AM

387 posts, read 680,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The PO is in a downward spiral because Washington ultimately wants to shut it down and let private enterprise completely take over . At this point it's not that they are in financial trouble because of slow service but may be just the opposite,that there is crappy service because they are not allocated the resources to operate properly.

Either way,soon it will be shut down completely,some company or companies with good lobbyists and lots of cash to bribe politicians will take it over and instead of costing 45 cents to mail something it will cost $4.50.Another triumph for the capitalist free enterprise system.
The Post office is a private enity.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:50 AM

387 posts, read 680,168 times
Quote:
My last mailman was a gem, great guy. I tipped him every year. the scumbag i have now is such a prick. I just had to lodge a complaint with his supervisors. I hope he get's attacked by a pack of rouge dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City