Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:49 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
I think this is intended for children of illegal immigrants who were brought here before they were 16 years old and therefore had no deciding voice in the matter. People who were older than 16 when they came or those who are over 30 right now can't take advantage of this. The article does have a valid point though that it's hard to pinpoint illegal aliens' ages, which I'm sure is going to be one loophole in this thing among many others.

I don't really know what to think about this. On the one hand, it's not fair to punish children for their parents' decisions. Children of illegal aliens struggle to fit in and survive, and many feel as American as other kids because they grow up here but are really handicapped when it comes to education and career opportunities. I grew up with a friend whose parents immigrated illegally from Chile when he was younger, and he lived in fear his entire life. I guess they could go back, but kids who grow up here think of the US as their home. They no longer identify with the country their parents came from but are not accepted here, so they are really sort of stuck.

On the other hand, my parents immigrated here from Europe legally when I was little, and my father pretty much put down his life to make sure that we were able to get our greencards and stay here. He spent thousands and thousands of dollars, and he had to bend over backwards to prove to immigration that he had a special skill set and therefore was not in competition with American job candidates. Legal immigration is extremely stressful and expensive, so it irks me when concessions are given to illegal immigrants who did not have to go through what my parents went through. Of course living here illegally isn't easy in its own right but still. It's all complicated.
If you're already legal, I dont see how it can currently affect you.
I could understand for people who are currently in-line for a greencard that they might get pissed off, but I dont get people who are already legal, complaining about a moot point.
And as for your father not competing with American workers, I beg to differ.
Highly skilled workers are the ones taking jobs from American born workers.
Thats why there's strong support by the public and congress in limiting HB1 visas.

Professionals dont compete with undocumented workers, its the slow-skilled workers that do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:04 AM

393 posts, read 782,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I could understand for people who are currently in-line for a greencard that they might get pissed off, but I dont get people who are already legal, complaining about a moot point.
Thats why there's strong support by the public and congress in limiting HB1 visas.

Professionals dont compete with undocumented workers, its the slow-skilled workers that do.
It doesn't affect me. However, I respect the fact that my parents sacrificed everything and put thousands of dollars into getting greencards through legal means. My dad worked so hard to make a life here legally that I honestly think that contributed to his early death. So yeah it bothers me when people who jump the border instead of going through the same strugle get breaks. Why even bother with legal immigration? That's an enormous shortcut.

You can beg to differ all you want, but my dad was asked to prove to immigration in several different ways that he was not taking jobs from American workers. However, that was years ago when the economy was a lot healthier than it is today.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:05 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:

It does affect everyone.

Over crowded schools.
Competing with people for jobs that don't belong here.
Skipping the long line of legal applicants.
Keep in mind Obama has not hired no new workers to process the untold # of applicants.
This will delay current legal immigrants in the process.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
I think this is intended for children of illegal immigrants who were brought here before they were 16 years old and therefore had no deciding voice in the matter. People who were older than 16 when they came or those who are over 30 right now can't take advantage of this. The article does have a valid point though that it's hard to pinpoint illegal aliens' ages, which I'm sure is going to be one loophole in this thing among many others.

I don't really know what to think about this. On the one hand, it's not fair to punish children for their parents' decisions. Children of illegal aliens struggle to fit in and survive, and many feel as American as other kids because they grow up here but are really handicapped when it comes to education and career opportunities. I grew up with a friend whose parents immigrated illegally from Chile when he was younger, and he lived in fear his entire life. I guess they could go back, but kids who grow up here think of the US as their home. They no longer identify with the country their parents came from but are not accepted here, so they are really sort of stuck.

On the other hand, my parents immigrated here from Europe legally when I was little, and my father pretty much put down his life to make sure that we were able to get our greencards and stay here. He spent thousands and thousands of dollars, and he had to bend over backwards to prove to immigration that he had a special skill set and therefore was not in competition with American job candidates. Legal immigration is extremely stressful and expensive, so it irks me when concessions are given to illegal immigrants who did not have to go through what my parents went through. Of course living here illegally isn't easy in its own right but still. It's all complicated.
I think parents should be charged with trafficking minors across international borders. This only encourages child trafficking & endangering minors.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
It doesn't affect me. However, I respect the fact that my parents sacrificed everything and put thousands of dollars into getting greencards through legal means. My dad worked so hard to make a life here legally that I honestly think that contributed to his early death. So yeah it bothers me when people who jump the border instead of going through the same strugle get breaks. Why even bother with legal immigration? That's an enormous shortcut.

You can beg to differ all you want, but my dad was asked to prove to immigration in several different ways that he was not taking jobs from American workers. However, that was years ago when the economy was a lot healthier than it is today.
This assumes that jumping the border is like walk across the brooklyn bridge.
A lot of people die crossing the border so to make it seem like it's a great viable alternative to legal immigration, IMO, at the very least naive and disingenuous.
Listen, we can argue about who takes jobs from Americans, but the information is out there.

I think it's safe to say that Americans don't compete with undocumented workers for who will be picking up veggies under the scorching sun, but rather compete with those immigrants that have advanced skills, and can do work with their brains instead of their muscles.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
This assumes that jumping the border is like walk across the brooklyn bridge.
A lot of people die crossing the border so to make it seem like it's a great viable alternative to legal immigration, IMO, at the very least naive and disingenuous.
Listen, we can argue about who takes jobs from Americans, but the information is out there.

I think it's safe to say that Americans don't compete with undocumented workers for who will be picking up veggies under the scorching sun, but rather compete with those immigrants that have advanced skills, and can do work with their brains instead of their muscles.

No, not really. It assumes that immigration laws are there for a reason, and adults who choose not to follow them shouldn't be rewarded. There is no such thing as a viable alternative to legal immigration...period.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
No, not really. It assumes that immigration laws are there for a reason, and adults who choose not to follow them shouldn't be rewarded. There is no such thing as a viable alternative to legal immigration...period.
I agree but things are more complicated.
Many people, including children didnt chose to come here. Yet, this is the only country they know.
Should we send them packing due to the decisions their parents made?

I think we need to strike a balance from what is fair and whats compasionate.
Its not an easy thing to achieve but obama's dream act initiave is a step in the right direction.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:11 PM

115 posts, read 306,713 times
This does not affect me because I am looking for a teaching job. Overcrowded schools should work to my advantage, but it's not.

Fundamentally, I am against illegal immigration for many reasons, but we must remember that although Americans used to do these jobs for a fair wage, there was also a time when able-bodied citizens with two arms and two legs were not allowed to make a lifestyle out of welfare.

I have worked in the restaurant business in NYC for 16 years, and the entitlement mentality of many (notice I said many, not all) Americans is astounding. I am in charge of hiring, and I have lost count of how many come in with no experience and expect to be handed a busy Friday or Saturday night shift. Oh, and then there's the ones who ask to work off the books because they don't want to stop collecting welfare/food stamps/unemployment. So we usually end up hiring LEGAL immigrants, who still don't complain and work harder. So there goes that theory of illegals not complaining because they are afraid because my workers are all legal. Sorry, but American teens are the absolute WORST and I will not hire them. Yeah, I know now people will be chiming in with stories of how hard their teen works, but that is the exception in my experience, not the norm.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I agree but things are more complicated.
Many people, including children didnt chose to come here. Yet, this is the only country they know.
Should we send them packing due to the decisions their parents made?

I think we need to strike a balance from what is fair and whats compasionate.
Its not an easy thing to achieve but obama's dream act initiave is a step in the right direction.

I definitely agree with you there. That's why I said in my earlier post that I'm not hating on this law. Kids of illegal immigrants are stuck between a rock and a hard place because of choices they did not make, and that's not fair either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: