Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 05:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times

Advertisements

Those London stations looked like HOSPITALS compared the our grimy subway stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's no penalty for littering in NYC's subways. That alone is an issue.

While they certainly do need to devote more time for cleaning, at a certain point those who litter need to be held accountable.

No it is NOT. That kind of nonsense is blaming the victims.. The problem is that the word CLEANING is NOT in the vocabulary of the MTA. Patrons do not yet layers of grime on all the walls and ceilings of the stations. Patrons do not put grime on every fluorescent tube in the system.

One might blame a patron for tossing a soda can on the tracks but when that same can is visible in the same spot for a month or two, blame for the littler is transferred to the morons too lazy to remove it.
When they close a subway line for "repairs" for a weekend, as they do with every line eventually, that track and all it's stations should emerge IMMACULATE on Monday morning.

Blaming patrons for a lack of upkeep is tedious nonsense.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
No it is NOT. That kind of nonsense is blaming the victims.. The problem is that the word CLEANING is NOT in the vocabulary of the MTA. Patrons do not yet layers of grime on all the walls and ceilings of the stations. Patrons do not put grime on every fluorescent tube in the system.

One might blame a patron for tossing a soda can on the tracks but when that same can is visible in the same spot for a month or two, blame for the littler is transferred to the morons too lazy to remove it.
When they close a subway line for "repairs" for a weekend, as they do with every line eventually, that track and all it's stations should emerge IMMACULATE on Monday morning.

Blaming patrons for a lack of upkeep is tedious nonsense.
Yes it is the patrons fault, even more so if they know the MTA staff rarely cleans the tracks.

The problem of the litter will stop if patrons stop throwing the litter, and to expect people to get down on the tracks daily to take care of the problem is ridiculous. FINE the patrons, with penalties up to $500 and if not paid arrest them. Then have the MTA clean the stations and do a better job of upkeep.

Of course all this does cost money, but the city and state can budget that.

The stations are getting cleaned due to orders from Cuomo, so it would likely take the state to levy fines on the patrons (the city would have to cooperate with the enforcement).

Old 09-14-2016, 09:05 AM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
I don't think "people" clean track. I think they have a vacuum train that does that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I have to say I've never seen people cleaning the tracks and I've taken the subway at all sorts of weird hours. I have seen the vacuum train a handful of times though.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:42 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I don't think "people" clean track. I think they have a vacuum train that does that.
From what I've read, they're putting 500 people on the tracks now to clean because the vacuum train they have currently doesn't work well. I also thought they had people clean during FASTRACK closures.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:55 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Short answer NO.

I don't understand why other countries can take care of their stuff and here in NYC we have animals, who trash trains, litter the tracks and stations. Its disguising. Seriously no concern, no manners. How are people raised to think this is ok?
I'd like a law that for everytime you throw trash on the track or leave your trash on the train, your iPhone gets thrown on the tracks.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:06 AM

If NO passenger went into the subway system for an entire YEAR, the filth would still be there and then we would all know who is to blame.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If NO passenger went into the subway system for an entire YEAR, the filth would still be there and then we would all know who is to blame.
No, the MTA always cleaned more frequently than a year. Not very frequently, but more frequently than that.

It is not okay for people to be too lazy to through their trash in the garbage. Not at all, but NYC never passed or enforced littering laws.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:16 AM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
So, maybe they should raise the fair $0.50 and use the money to pay for more cleaners?

Old 09-16-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
So, maybe they should raise the fair $0.50 and use the money to pay for more cleaners?
I'd be fine with that. It's going to go up in 2017 anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City