Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:19 AM

576 posts, read 1,547,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny8630 View Post
Just wanted to put it out there, I'm going to FBF tomorrow to start the CDL Training. Once I pass, how likely am I to get into one of these classes?
You've got no chance bro! noneeee.. haha j/k . If maybe we knew your number we could give you an idea.. but thus far even like 2500 is cutting it close. so they like hired around 1960 for the august class give or take ... so if its 2 to one itd be like up to 2360 hired and if its 3 to one itd be up to 2560 but really no one knows 100%.. either way they most likely will hire again before list expires February 2014 so really dont give up if you are like way higher up in the list.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 AM

184 posts, read 338,867 times
as I posted before something tells me that you Tier 6 guys may one day be able to buy back and enter Tier 4....if not I can see that whole garbage of your pension being reduced by 50% of your social security eventually nullified........you young guys will def not have a life for the first couple of years.....you will hate this job until you gain some stability.....you will also hate this job if you are used to making money because snow and o.t. is NEVER guaranteed....snow like two years ago is an anomaly and happens like once every decade...do not live outside the means of your base pay if possible....but once you are at top pay and are either making the truck everyday(if that's what you like) or in a nice tissue you may not love your job but you will be quite content.....there are many places/units to go in this job and DO NOT listen to the people around you telling you that its not good or you won't like it.....chances are they have some ulterior motive....e.g. if you think you would like the broom then try and go there and give it your best....you may not like it but at least you made your own decision....you will ***** and moan about nights/details...working 4 weeks straight during a bad storm but its ok because even the most senior guy did at some point (don't let them fool ya) because its easier to do the grind when you have choices of what you want to do or can go emergency/sick when you just don't feel like doing it or have a personal event to attend.....just ***** and moan to the new guys with you because the old jacks will give you ****....at the end of the day leave the job at the garage and don't let it become your life like these 25-30 year veterans who stay because they have nothing better to do....in an ideal world most people would rather being doing something else but in time you will realize that it aint that bad and you have made the right choice.....you WILL get hurt/injured at some point regardless of how safe you are because that is the nature of the beast just take your time to heal and do not rush back because you only have one body.....even if your are on probation the worst they will do is extend you. Five out of the seven new guys including myself that I came on with went lodi/sick for legit reasons and none of us got extended or fired....have the doctor notes to back your play......you Will get into accidents especially during bad weather but as long as you are not dirty you will be fine....that PAP Wagon will come and your name will be on it.......GOOD LUCK and GODSPEED..... remember do not listen to these fools and form your own opinions

Old 08-19-2012, 09:36 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,394,077 times
1 more week till the July class becomes sanitation workers.....best of luck to all of you.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 AM

97 posts, read 165,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
1 more week till the July class becomes sanitation workers.....best of luck to all of you.
thx, im sure alot of people are glad to see us coming also. Looking forward to friday when we get assigned to a district.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:21 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,394,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELTING? View Post
thx, im sure alot of people are glad to see us coming also. Looking forward to friday when we get assigned to a district.
We will be happy to meet you all. But first person we show something to that says "oh but in Floyd Bennett they told us we should...." gets a hoist oil bath :-)

Old 08-19-2012, 03:06 PM

473 posts, read 932,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
You are all ready sanitation workers. Next week you will be in your new districts, 30 days later reality strikes. Good luck and be safe.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:03 PM

65 posts, read 139,880 times
You will all learn more in your districts in 1 week than you did in a month at fbf. Not everyone on this job has motives against you. You will be able to tell the bean shooters from the guys who actually do want to help you. Soak it all in. Listen and learn. Dont be the guy who was just hired but knows as much as the 20 yr men already somehow. Always look out for yourself no matter what. Hopefully you have a good shop steward that will look out for you.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:33 PM

8 posts, read 13,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemsone View Post
You've got no chance bro! noneeee.. haha j/k . If maybe we knew your number we could give you an idea.. but thus far even like 2500 is cutting it close. so they like hired around 1960 for the august class give or take ... so if its 2 to one itd be like up to 2360 hired and if its 3 to one itd be up to 2560 but really no one knows 100%.. either way they most likely will hire again before list expires February 2014 so really dont give up if you are like way higher up in the list.

Crap....I was hoping for November or something....I'm 2770. Hopefully you're right and they start up again before 2014.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:02 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwings View Post
Here are somethings I believe have changed,
No 3/4 pay if hurt on the job, OT is capped for pension( I think it's 15,000 a year so if you make 100k a year and your base salary is 70, only 85000 counts when you get your pension. Also once you start collecting S.S. they take half of what you make in S.S. out of or pension check. If I remember correctly one of the ladies at hr said they are trying to change that.
I guess there are some other thing, buts thats what I really know.
I didnt hear that about S.S and your pension checks. Is there for just the new guys or both?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,052 times
tier6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City