Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 04:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,020 times

Advertisements

I have tenets but have not paid rent for past 5 months. I have been telling them to move out if they can not afford to pay. I don't remember have a lease with them. I got a letter from city stating that basement is illegal; bath and kitchen are to taken out. For so I have not taken any action but I want to take out sinks for both kitchen and bath. And also remove door for all room.. What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 07:09 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,221,455 times
Have they ever had a lease or ever paid rent? Even if they have paid rent in the past, the lack of lease means they're automatically month-to-month. Since they haven't been paying rent, you can easily get them evicted through housing court. But it is absolutely baffling that it took you five months to even look into your options, and that will hurt you at housing court as the judge is going to have trouble believing that you just let squatters live there for five months without a lease or rental payments.

Talk to a housing lawyer.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 PM

25,351 posts, read 36,900,734 times
You cannot charge them rent for an illegal apartment. PERIOD They owe you nothing, not now nor from the date they moved in.. Be grateful that they haven't sued for all back rent, which they might still do.
You must get rid of them but I am not sure of the mechanics.
Tell the tenants to move (on paper) becasue they are living in all illegal apartment.

If they don't go, perhaps call the DOB and tell them you want to get rid of tenants living illegally in your basement. Perhaps some landlords here who have experience with illegal apartments can help more in getting rid of your "tenants."

I am pretty sure the City can evict them quickly if the place is unsafe for human habitation.

When they are gone, pull out the stove, take out the door (you can leave a slop sink) and DON'T rent the place again. Maybe put in washers and dryers for your tenants?

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-18-2012 at 01:26 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,122 times
How did you make out ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: