Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 11:08 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times

Advertisements

People have been coming to my front door asking for signatures about Fracking in NY State. My huge dog would not allow me to get the proper information, so does anyone know what this is all about? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 11:18 AM

86 posts, read 247,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
People have been coming to my front door asking for signatures about Fracking in NY State. My huge dog would not allow me to get the proper information, so does anyone know what this is all about? Thank you,
I think its when liquid is forced into the ground to build up pressure to release natural gas. I dont know much about it but Im originally from Youngstown Ohio where they started fracking recently. Its very controversial and supposedly causes a lot of environmental damage. Youngstown has had quite a few small earthquakes since fracking started and a lot of people think they were cause by fracking. Also, a lot of people think it causes water pollution to underground water sources.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:47 PM

466 posts, read 902,068 times
I'm from Arkansas and there's been a big natural gas boom in the north central region of the state thanks to fracking. It's brought a lot of jobs and money into that part of the state, but there have been dozens of very small earthquakes in that same area (I think the biggest was around 4.0 on the Richter scale, but I could be wrong). Some people have raised questions about groundwater contamination, but I have no clue whether that's a legitimate concern.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:35 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Pennsylvania has a lot of it and NY has previously forbidden it. The new push is to allow it in NY first near the PA border.

For a good look at Fracking, rent the important documentary film GASLAND (streamable from Netflix.)

Highlight of the movie is flames shooting out of people's water taps.

I think the NYC Watershed is too valuable a resource to risk fracking up. Half of the state's population depends on it for drinking water...9 million of us. Poisoning it would be catastrophic.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:19 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Kefir King is right, as usual. Check out the movie Gasland, as an easy way to pick up preliminary information. Fracking can potentially be catastrophic to the water supply. It's serious and worth learning about.

Or start with links:

Gasland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gasland: A film by Josh Fox

Old 08-19-2012, 01:25 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
I say; No FraCKing way!

Old 08-19-2012, 03:47 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
For a good look at Fracking, rent the important documentary film GASLAND (streamable from Netflix.)

Highlight of the movie is flames shooting out of people's water taps.
Too bad that was a problem long pre-dating fracking in that area.

‘FrackNation’ Filmmakers Posted Billboard to Debunk | Video | TheBlaze.com

Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 AM

159 posts, read 204,636 times
I, for one, find the claims of frack-quakes to be quite hilarious. I've been living on frac sites for about 6 months (24hr security work), and have not felt a single earth quake. I don't know what others are claiming, but that's my first hand experience *shrug*. Have felt detonations at rock quarries quite a ways away, but nothing from down below Honestly, the idea that fracturing some rock 5000+ft down could cause an earthquake of any size seems kinda laughable to me, but I'll admit I'm not an expert. I have no firsthand experience with water supplies as ours is trucked in, but that too seems like a pretty far fetched claim. There's a whole hell of a lot of geological study and engineering that goes into these operations, it's actually quite amazing to be around!

That said, I can't imagine why they'd be bothering to expand to NY anytime soon, we have quite a stockpile right now. From space you can actually see the oil fields in North Dakota lit up like a big city at night - because of all the natural gas they're just burning off as a waste product there. That's the only reason I'd be questioning expansion into my backyard - that IS still a finite natural resource that's being wasted because of a lack of infrastructure to get it to market :\ If it was coming to a neighborhood near me I'd demand appropriate infrastructure to be part of the deal or no deal - but I wouldn't be rejecting it on any of these other claims I've heard others insist on so far.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Isn't that wonderful: Becasue water burned in 1669 it's nothing to worry about when flames come out of our water taps.

Marvelous that SOMEBODY is not bothered by earthquakes.

Terrific...and all meaningless.

(Hands up from those paid by Gas or Petro companies.)

The New York Water supply is one of the most valuable resources in the United States and it should not be tampered with by greedy fools.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Kefir King is right, as usual. Check out the movie Gasland, as an easy way to pick up preliminary information. Fracking can potentially be catastrophic to the water supply. It's serious and worth learning about.

Or start with links:

Gasland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gasland: A film by Josh Fox
Potentially is the key word here. Done correctly--and I'm the first to grant that it isn't always done right--fracking is a cheap way to get an enormous amount of natural gas (Read: fuel for power plants) that will last until better power sources are developed and made economical. And in depressed parts of the nation like upstate NY, central Pa, or North Dakota, it's an enormous source of jobs and economic activity.

But the big question is what do we use to fuel our power plants? Nobody wants nuclear, too dangerous. Nobody wants coal, too dirty and polluting. Nobody wants wind, those huge mills are too unsightly off the coast, too unreliable. Nodoby wants to string wires to bring in power from somewhere else ca'cause who wants those big towers in the backyard? Nobody wants pipelines bringing oil from Canada.

I am far from an apologist for the oil/gas industry. Generally, in fact, I think they're pigs. But we hve to get power from somewhere and fracking--if done right--is the best bet in the short-term. And despite the scare tactics, most of the time it is done right with no pollution of water levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City