Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,837 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning to move to NYC in a few months, most likely early next year. I've zoned in on Brooklyn specifically the Greenpoint/Bushwick area. I also don't mind living in Bed-Stuy/Crown Heights either but um... i've heard some safety issues there. I'd like to know which of those areas I mention is the best when it comes to commute time to lower Manhattan ( working there), which one is the safest, which one is the most non-native english speaker friendly( still learning the basics )and which one is the most affordable.

Can I survive in Greenpoint/ East Williamsburg/ Bushwick/Bed-Stuy/Crown Heights with a monthly around $2500 salary? Is this sum realistic?I would most likely rent alone and I won't have a problem living in a studio. Also, I am not really that out-going so I don't think I'd have alot of those extra expenses. Food wise, well, I am very picky but my diet is pretty cheap. I rarely go shopping, most likely once every 3 months or whenever I have extra money to buy clothes etc. Overall, I am pretty thrifty and I don't spend like a typical 20-something year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,134,785 times
Since some of your housing choices are prety dismal I think you can survive on $2,500/$30,000...lot's do. The secret is not blowing too much on rent and Bed-Stuy/Crown Heights seems to fit the bill.<ouch>
But then you gotta pay a lot of taxes...only the very rich escape them.

It ls not going to be easy, kiddo.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 AM

520 posts, read 845,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toNYCigo View Post
Hello,

I am planning to move to NYC in a few months, most likely early next year. I've zoned in on Brooklyn specifically the Greenpoint/Bushwick area. I also don't mind living in Bed-Stuy/Crown Heights either but um... i've heard some safety issues there. I'd like to know which of those areas I mention is the best when it comes to commute time to lower Manhattan ( working there), which one is the safest, which one is the most non-native english speaker friendly( still learning the basics )and which one is the most affordable.

Can I survive in Greenpoint/ East Williamsburg/ Bushwick/Bed-Stuy/Crown Heights with a monthly around $2500 salary? Is this sum realistic?I would most likely rent alone and I won't have a problem living in a studio. Also, I am not really that out-going so I don't think I'd have alot of those extra expenses. Food wise, well, I am very picky but my diet is pretty cheap. I rarely go shopping, most likely once every 3 months or whenever I have extra money to buy clothes etc. Overall, I am pretty thrifty and I don't spend like a typical 20-something year old.
Where are you moving from, if you don't my asking?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
Where are you moving from, if you don't my asking?

I am from East Los Angeles. Right now, I make about the same and I can budget my salary well enough to have some savings at the end of the month. It sounds like I won't be able to do that in NY

Old 08-23-2012, 12:56 PM

545 posts, read 909,606 times
$3,000 if you are careful with your money.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:16 PM

175 posts, read 353,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
$3,000 if you are careful with your money.

^Moonwatcher speaks the truth.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,615,225 times
Is that $2500 a month before or after taxes? Because NYC eats 28-30% of your paycheck.

On the low end, if you mean before taxes, you will be taking home around $1800-$2200 a month. Which means you will need to live with roommates unless you like spending half your salary on rent.

If that number is after taxes, then you can potentially find an apartment for $1000-1200 in those areas, but it will likely be a studio apartment in a basement.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:48 PM

917 posts, read 2,006,824 times
What language do you speak?

You can get a studio in crown heights for 1000 or less. Now it's not the best area depending on the block you live on. If you take the 3 or 4 train you can get to lower manhattan in like 20 mins or so. Just mentioning crown heights because that's the area I'm most familiar with.

With Bed-stuy the commute is about the same if you take the A or C trains. It may not be the safest but it's not as bad as it used to be.

If you make 2500 after taxes then you may be able to depending on if you have credit cards, loans,etc. I'm assuming your single with no kids right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City