Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times

Advertisements

Sobro you must love your lose of individual freedom.

Do you know why NY ranks last?

NY has the highest taxes in the nation.
Public spending public welfare, hospitals, electric power, transit, and employee retirement.
Strictest gun laws in the country
Strict smoking laws
Lives are dictated because of loss of loss of personal & economic freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 02:51 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
As much as I'm not a fan of Bloomie, your statement is incorrect. This analysis is based on the STATE, not the CITY. Bloomie's rant of changing things pertains to the city, as that is his jurisdiction, not the state. The analysis refers to the state's spending, taxes, income, welfare, transit, hospitals, and a slew of other factors but nothing regarding NYC. His soda law is limited only to the city and the insane tobacco tax is limited to the city. You should include Cuomo in your thanks, as he governs the state.
I disagree.

The city is within the state. So all of New york is affected.
Taxes here are high.

You must admit freedom is being lost here & I think the city is leading the way for the state.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:59 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't think anybody disagrees with that statement, however if you choose to eat yourself into a heartattack at the age of 40 and then taxpayers have to foot the bill because you don't have insurance or can't afford it, YOU ARE NOT FREE AND YOU ARE INFRINGING ON OUR FREEDOM TO SAY YOU DID IT TO YOURSELF TOO BAD. If you like to smoke yourself into lung cancer at the age of 50 but don't have insurance or can't afford it, YOU ARE NOT FREE AND YOU ARE INFRINGING ON OUR FREEDOM TO SAY YOU DID IT TO YOURSELF TOO BAD.
How does freedom to smoke and eat stop anyone from saying "I told you so" if their health goes south?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:01 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
What does high taxes have to do with freedom? Are you more free when you pay less taxes? If so, move to Mexico..the tax rate is 5%..VERY FREE.

Public spending public welfare, hospitals, electric power, transit, and employee retirement...all things TO TAKE CARE OF PEOPLE. Want the freedom to be destitute living on the streets, with no reliable electricity and no safety nets if you lose your job or are old? If so, move to Nigeria, there are zero of these things.... VERY FREE.

Strictest gun laws in the country. If you prefer places to live with no gun control, you will enjoy life in Afghanistan..tons of guns for everyone at any age to do whatever they want with them... VERY FREE.

Strict smoking laws. Nobody is keeping you from smoking, but they are stopping you from INFRINGING ON MY RIGHT NOT TO BREATHE YOUR SECOND HAND SMOKE. Remember, you like freedom so long as it doesn't infringe on other people's rights, so you should like strict smoking laws.

Lives are dictated because of loss of loss of personal & economic freedom. I dunno what this sentence even means....you are far more free and able to be successful when everyone is playing fairly and by the rules = regulated. If you don't want regulations, and want companies and people to be free to run rampant and do whatever they want, India would be a great place for you...very free from regulations and you are free to be exploited, cheated, and injured by anyone, any business, at any time. Can't imagine why India isn't on top with so many freedoms?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
If New York state is a nanny state, within that state NYC is a Walled Garden or a Playpen of some sort.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:04 PM

458 posts, read 616,251 times
Please don't argue with SobroGuy, he's a Yellow Dog Democrat. It won't get us anywhere. We've had plenty of similar discussions here already.

Oh and for reference guns are totally banned in Afghanistan and civilians will be thrown in jail if found with a gun. You are not allowed to carry any kind of weapon whatsoever, even knives.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
What does high taxes have to do with freedom? Are you more free when you pay less taxes?
That depends on what the taxes are used for and how high they are.

Quote:
Public spending public welfare, hospitals, electric power, transit, and employee retirement...all things TO TAKE CARE OF PEOPLE. Want the freedom to be destitute living on the streets, with no reliable electricity and no safety nets if you lose your job or are old? If so, move to Nigeria, there are zero of these things.... VERY FREE.
The "safety net" is an illusion. People game the system and many of those who need the help never get it. I was destitute once, and was denied social services on account of my race. The "system" I thought I was paying into with taxes under the assumption it would be there for me, too, if I needed it was a sham. **** that, I'd rather keep my money rather than taxes for that scam.

Infrastructure is another thing. But I'm not a fan of forced charity (read: theft) when I can't have any say where my money goes.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:11 PM

I am actually completely independent, and not a Democrat. They are just as bad as the other party (well almost). My point has nothing to do with politics, and all to do with reason and logic. Is it a coincidence that those countries with the most regulations and workers protections are the ones we are always pointing to with the highest education, longest life expectancies, healthiest, safest, strongest economies, comprehensive safety nets, health care, etc: European economies, Japan, Australia etc. And those defined as "free" using All American's definition, with few/no regulations, little/no worker protections, limited/no gun controls, no safety nets, etc are all 3rd world countries: India, African countries, southeast Asian, etc.

It sounds great to spin nonsense rhetoric of "freedom", but the reality is we know what happens when we dismantle regulations and eliminate worker protections, safety nets etc under the guise of "freedom"...if you want to become INDIA say so. I would prefer to be Germany.

Alkonost: You are spinning more rhetoric. People aren't getting help from safety nets? HUH! You were denied assistance based on race? RIGHT. Lemme guess what else: JP Morgan Chase really cares about customers, that is their sole goal, and earning money isn't even on the radar for them, if you let the Food industry regulate themselves, they will do a better job because they have only the customer's interest at heart, and of course we should "unleash" Wall St because they work better unregulated. Did I miss anything?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I am actually completely independent, and not a Democrat. They are just as bad as the other party (well almost). My point has nothing to do with politics, and all to do with reason and logic. Is it a coincidence that those countries with the most regulations and workers protections are the ones we are always pointing to with the highest education, longest life expectancies, healthiest, safest, strongest economies, comprehensive safety nets, health care, etc: European economies, Japan, Australia etc. And those defined as "free" using All American's definition, with few/no regulations, little/no worker protections, limited/no gun controls, no safety nets, etc are all 3rd world countries: India, African countries, southeast Asian, etc.

It sounds great to spin nonsense rhetoric of "freedom", but the reality is we know what happens when we dismantle regulations and eliminate worker protections, safety nets etc under the guise of "freedom"...if you want to become INDIA say so. I would prefer to be Germany.
Grass isn't greener over there. Europe isn't doing so well, and hasn't been for a long time. Our current recession would be an economic field day for them. My family left Europe for a reason, and any straggling family members who opted to stay behind sorely regret it and would sell their left nut and their mother for a green card.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:19 PM

I agree that the grass isn't greener..my question was simple: Do you want all the REAL freedoms and become India, or do you want the heavily regulated freedoms of Germany....which would you choose to live in forever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City