Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 02:10 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Williamsburg is an interesting part of town; lots of eating and drinking options, there are a good amount of indie music venues and an increasing number of galleries.
Since I like all of those things, I would live in Williamsburg, no problem.
Usually, I find that people who bash it, were either priced out of the neighborhood or would like to live there but cant afford it.
This is especially true with younger people. Older people bash it not only because they were priced out, but also because they see the influx of so-called 'hispters' as detrimental to the charachter of the neighborhood (whatever that means to them) but you rarely see them substiantiate their criticism with statements other that "its ruined now, it suck, yada yada yada"

if you can afford it I would definitely recommend taking a look.
Yes likeminas, that's exactly what it is... And that goes for anyone who despises hipsters... we are all jealous of them... I mean who wouldn't want to live in a generic area where if you don't share their "high sense of style and fashion" or don't enjoy the art or indie scene, you are considered an outsider... We are all especially jealous of how cramped the area has become as well as it's cheap apartments that only go for 2500 and up for a 1 bedroom... I know personally, I lose sleep over it every night...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 02:16 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
I remember when Williamsburg was gritty and mostly Puerto Rican hood. I had friends who live there then in the mid 90s. That was hip. My man had a largish loft for next to nothing because he was in with the landlord, who was happy to have it rented. He was a painter/artist. Whatever Williamburg has become it's not hip. Sounds like it's just trendy now. You can keep that.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:33 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Yes likeminas, that's exactly what it is... And that goes for anyone who despises hipsters... we are all jealous of them... I mean who wouldn't want to live in a generic area where if you don't share their "high sense of style and fashion" or don't enjoy the art or indie scene, you are considered an outsider... We are all especially jealous of how cramped the area has become as well as it's cheap apartments that only go for 2500 and up for a 1 bedroom... I know personally, I lose sleep over it every night...
By national standards the whole city of NY is cramped and expensive, so other than saying that you dont like how they dress and that you dont appreciate art or indie music, do you have any criticism with substance against it?
I know some people who would argue that before the gentrification process, Williamsburg was a dangerous hell-hole, that has seen nothing but improvements in terms quality of life.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
By national standards the whole city of NY is cramped and expensive, so other than saying that you dont like how they dress and that you dont appreciate art or indie music, do you have any criticism with substance against it?
I know some people who would argue that before the gentrification process, Williamsburg was a dangerous hell-hole, that has seen nothing but improvements in terms quality of life.
First part of that sentence is a gross exaggeration... second part of that sentence is subjective...

For your eyes... The dangerous hellhole that was the 94th precinct of Williamsburg/Greenpoint... Look at the bottom to see crime rate back in the 90s...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs094pct.pdf

Now take a look at another insanely dangerous hood... The one im living in right now that apparently if Williamsburg was hood, well then gosh Ridgewood must've been like Juares, Mexico...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs104pct.pdf

The 104th covers a larger area but the areas that were covered were Middle Village, Maspeth, and Glendale as well as Ridgewood and you can do that research yourself but aside from both borders of Glendale and maspeth that either bordered Ridgewood/East Williamsburg or Ridgewood/Bushwick... majority of that crime came from Ridgewood... So I ask you again, where was this hood that you speak of... Oh, once again, subjective babble...

Also, in terms of your by national standards comment... Another case of fluff arguments... We are not comparing Queens, NY rents to Bumbleweed, Iowa... There is no comparison there, and to make that case is just idiotic... But compare Williamsburg rents to other places in this city, where do you think it'll rank...

Just to let you know, on average, two of the highest average rents in the borough of Brooklyn go to Brooklyn Heights and Williamsburg... And you can put it next to any other borough other than Manhattan and it'll rank right up there either near or at the top... Do you just type gibberish hoping people will just take your subjective opinions and clear lack of historical knowledge as fact...

Old 08-30-2012, 03:09 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas
Williamsburg was a dangerous hell-hole, that has seen nothing but improvements in terms quality of life.
Williamsburg was not a dangerous hellhole. That is a GROSS exaggeration.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:37 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,767 times
The part of Williamsburg that was a dangerous hell-hole was certainly not the hipster haven part of that neighborhood.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:39 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,536 times
Anon1, your belligerent tone is both amusing and telling of how a nerve was touched. Just don't make it personal. Ok?
Back on topic; NYC is the most densely populated city in the U.S. and as such it's has the most expensive real estate. Williamsburg is one the most densely populated neighborhoods in NYC, so it's not surprise that is an expensive one. This is simple supply & demand, 101 economics.
People want to move there, and there's limited living space. Again simple supply and demand economics.
As for williamsburg being a hell-hole, it's well documented that the neighborhood had many social issues with crime.
Let me quote from this Wikipedia article;

"After World War II, the economy sagged. Refugees from war-torn Europe began to stream into Brooklyn, including the Hasidim whose populations had been devastated in the Holocaust. The area south of Division Avenue is home to a large population of adherents to the Satmar Hasidic sect. Hispanics from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic also began to settle in Williamsburg. But with the decline of industry and the increase of population and poverty, crime and illegal drugs, Williamsburg became a cauldron of pent-up energies. Those who were able to move out did, and the area became known for its crime and other social ills.[13][14]"

Williamsburg, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

btw, I don't even know how the stats you linked support anything other than what I said about crime going down after the gentrification process.

Is Williamsburg known for its crime now or for being a hub for new businesses, art, and music?

So my original question still stands unanswered.
Other than not liking how they dress, how they talk, how they walk or how they priced some poor puerto rican out, why do you dislike them so much?
Any criticism of substance?

Old 08-30-2012, 03:41 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,845 times
This is all focusing on the northwestern part. The area around the Graham stop is actually still pretty quiet and residential. Most apartments are overpriced but if you get a good deal it's a perfectly nice place to live.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Anon1, your belligerent tone is both amusing and telling of how a nerve was touched. Just don't make it personal. Ok?
Back on topic; NYC is the most densely populated city in the U.S. and as such it's has the most expensive real estate. Williamsburg is one the most densely populated neighborhoods in NYC, so it's not surprise that is an expensive one. This is simple supply & demand, 101 economics.
People want to move there, and there's limited living space. Again simple supply and demand economics.
As for williamsburg being a hell-hole, it's well documented that the neighborhood had many social issues with crime.
Let me quote from this Wikipedia article;

"After World War II, the economy sagged. Refugees from war-torn Europe began to stream into Brooklyn, including the Hasidim whose populations had been devastated in the Holocaust. The area south of Division Avenue is home to a large population of adherents to the Satmar Hasidic sect. Hispanics from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic also began to settle in Williamsburg. But with the decline of industry and the increase of population and poverty, crime and illegal drugs, Williamsburg became a cauldron of pent-up energies. Those who were able to move out did, and the area became known for its crime and other social ills.[13][14]"

Williamsburg, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

btw, I don't even know how the stats you linked support anything other than what I said about crime going down after the gentrification process.

Is Williamsburg known for its crime now or for being a hub for new businesses, art, and music?

So my original question still stands unanswered.
Other than not liking how they dress, how they talk, how they walk or how they priced some poor puerto rican out, why do you dislike them so much?
Any criticism of substance?
Wow, there really is no hope for you... The point of the link was to show you that relative to NYC, Williamsburg (Not southside or East Will but rather Northside) was not hood by any means at all... It was an industrial working class area that dealt with its issues like any working class area did... This including Ridgewood, Bensonhurst, Brighton Beach, Woodhaven, Elmhurst, Woodside, Richmond Hill, etc. I could keep going... All these areas were working class but none were considered hood and Williamsburg was no exception... But people that have lived in NYC for five years want to rewrite history and tell natives about their city...

I'm sorry... it's not gonna happen here... The facts need to be brought back to these arguments... and for the record, using wikipedia as a source only shows how you couldn't find any legitimate articles to confirm your point...

Last point... the reason why there is so much dislike towards a specific type of hipster (the Northside Williamsburg kind) has nothing to do with how they dress, what they like, or how they act... I could care less what they do as long as it doesn't affect me... What bothers people so much is the attitude that you seem to share with them... The ridiculous arrogance that everyone wants to be like them, that anyone who isn't like them or doesn't share their values is a hater or doesn't understand them, and how we have to part the red sea and accept dominance over a neighborhood once they move in... Because they are that important...

Cooper Park BBQ • The Brooklyn Paper
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/...ums-from-tots/
Horrible Brooklyn Heights Snobs Rant Against Hot Dog Vendor: Gothamist

Old 08-30-2012, 04:05 PM

10 posts, read 10,975 times
Default Regarding Williamsburg

I have lived in NY for all my life. WIlliamsburg is a cute little spot in brooklyn, but severely over priced and lacks real culture. Yes I said it. All you see there is your typical yuppie and people who for the most part live off of their parents and live there to say they lived in brooklyn. But it has alot of upside. There are many restaurants in a concentrated area as well as lots of bars. People for the most part are friendly. McCarren Park has gotten cleaner and better. You have lots and lots of little shops and no major chains except for subway and dunkin donuts, this makes it feel like its own little town. Parking is decent and there is never an empty street in that area, you are always bound to find people in the streets walking at anytime of day.
Here is what I dont like about it and you have every right to disagree with me if you want. It lacks any actual ethnic or true cultural diversity. It is mainly white/caucasion people with a handful of african americans and hispanics. The area is slowly dying because of all the new condos that are being built at the waterfront and is now becoming just another manhattan. The rent is getting higher and higher and its not like the apts are any better than they are in the typical "hood". I was born and raised in Bushwick and it has been getting better and better. Certain areas are not too good, but if you want to live in nY and in brooklyn, check out other areas that are close to it. You dont need to live in williamsburg to experience it. Sometimes it better to be able to visit it and appreciate it fully than to live in it and take it for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City