Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think that the stereotype of rude New Yorker is totally off-base, but I saw something particularly endearing. An elderly woman crossing midtown Madison in a wheelchair apparently had dropped her coin-purse. Four or five people, including a Con Ed guy working at the corner, were squatting in the middle of the street picking up coins for her while cars detoured around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Personally, I think that the stereotype of rude New Yorker is totally off-base, but I saw something particularly endearing. An elderly woman crossing midtown Madison in a wheelchair apparently had dropped her coin-purse. Four or five people, including a Con Ed guy working at the corner, were squatting in the middle of the street picking up coins for her while cars detoured around them.
Love it!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
personally i think the stereotype comes more from the various accents and swearing and crowded walking spaces than actual lack of kindness

i think the constant close interaction makes us more likely to reach out to strangers, including being nice or helpful

the stereotype is ten million people who won't look each other in the eye... but try getting someone's attention in the suburbs. you can't. everyone is in a car! much more isolated

so we might have some rough edges but i find it to be friendlier than many other cities

of course, i'm biased...

Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 AM

127 posts, read 261,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post

the stereotype is ten million people who won't look each other in the eye... but try getting someone's attention in the suburbs. you can't. everyone is in a car! much more isolated
Great point

Old 08-22-2012, 09:17 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,226,693 times
In addition, I see plenty of ppl giving up their seats to the elderly, prego women and ppl with kids in general on the subways. At least on the 6 and the 7 subway lines....

Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
from what I noticed:

New Yorkers come off as a bit rude in the sense of impolite rather than unfriendly. People are helpful, but they don't like having their time wasted, a bit of a "no-nonsense" attitude; low tolerance for anyone that comes off as incompetent.

It's not that obvious when I lived in Long Island, which had a bit of the same culture. Up here in Western Massachusetts, it's definitely noticeable.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 AM

428 posts, read 969,953 times
That’s really nice. Except. One incident doesn’t make New Yorkers the best people in the world. I don’t want to sit here and bash, but just to clarify, when people say New Yorkers are rude (and they are), they mean things like this:

The impatience is ridiculously. People get downright nasty during commutes. They yell stuff out just b/c the person in front of them isn’t going fast enough for their liking. That’s flat out rude.
Approach cashiers at stores and see how many of them look you in the face and acknowledge you. You won’t find many, let alone ones that will say hello.
How many coworkers say Good Morning to you when you walk in the office? Most keep walking.

Yes, people might chip in to help each other out on the street, but rudeness is there. Every day.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:40 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,129 times
There is a difference between being polite and being kind. A polite person can say hello, please and thank you while completely screwing you over, but a kind person will pick up coins for an old lady. If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose kindness.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 PM

428 posts, read 969,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
There is a difference between being polite and being kind. A polite person can say hello, please and thank you while completely screwing you over, but a kind person will pick up coins for an old lady. If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose kindness.
Right, but the city as a whole does not live like that daily. We all live here and know the reality. The reality is that New Yorkers live around so many ppl and have become impolite and rude over the decades. Sorry. It's just the way it is. People in other less populated cities will pick up the coins, do good deeds yet they'll still find a way to be polite, acknowledge people and say hello.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Right, but the city as a whole does not live like that daily. We all live here and know the reality. The reality is that New Yorkers live around so many ppl and have become impolite and rude over the decades. Sorry. It's just the way it is. People in other less populated cities will pick up the coins, do good deeds yet they'll still find a way to be polite, acknowledge people and say hello.
I don't consider us at all impolite or rude. I think that we are realistic. We don't put up with bull****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City