Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that you do NOT open fire in a crowded intersection...no matter WHAT.

And that simple ruole is borne out by the fact that there are 9 people wounded who would NOT have been had the cops not opened fire.

A corollary: you do not stage a high speed chase on a crowded road for someone who has stolen a car or run a red light.

Police shhould seek to MINIMIZE damage rather than MAXIMIZE it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
The NYPD is suppose to be one of the most elite police dept in the world. Judging from this incident i have to strongly disagree. Is their any fallout from this or will it be swept under the carpet ? Also how can any of you new yorkers stand wealthy mayor bloomburg ? He seems like a idiot who is power hungry.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
I watched the video a few more times. It's a little grainy but I can see the perp turn and point his gun towards the cops. I believe that at this point they had no choice but to shoot. It may be that he was intent on committing "suicide by cop" and wasn't going to fire his weapon again but the cops had no way of knowing that and they couldn't take the chance. If the perp had dropped his weapon and laid down on the sidewalk with his hands behind his back he could have been taken into custody. A shooting in that situation would not have been justified. But instead he chose to turn and point his weapon at the cops. I believe this shooting was justified. As for the wounded bystanders, there are a number of questions. Did either of the cops have an angle at the perp with no bystanders nearby or directly behind him? Possibly one of the officers should have with held his fire. Was the number of rounds necessary? Did they continue shooting after the perp was down? Etc., etc. Hopefully there will be a fair investgation and we'll get the answers. No circling the wagons.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Again with this...??? What makes you think he had any intention to, or would have shot anyone but the guy he had a dispute with? Is there any reason at all to believe this that I am missing?

Um.. did you watch the video. The police approach him and he takes the gun out of the case and points it at the cops.

If you were in that situation, what would you think was about to happen next????????

Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglove21 View Post
neither a,b or c happened. But

d. Cops hit innocent people(some by richocet, some directly hit by bullets)

definitely did happen.

Sooooooooooo.........
i said if the cops did nothing, then a, b or c would have happened.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It seems to me that you do NOT open fire in a crowded intersection...no matter WHAT.

And that simple ruole is borne out by the fact that there are 9 people wounded who would NOT have been had the cops not opened fire.

A corollary: you do not stage a high speed chase on a crowded road for someone who has stolen a car or run a red light.

So you thought would be to do nothing other than let a gun toting maniac wander the streets until no one was around? Where might that be in midtown manhattan??????

Old 08-26-2012, 09:26 AM

802 posts, read 1,681,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
All I know is, if Im accidentley shot by COPS, I would sue to the point that I can OWN the state of NY.

The shooter hit his targt perfectly. Trigger happy nypd shot SIX innocent bystanders? Smh!
I would love to see what you could do in that situation. The cops were running up behind him and all of a sudden the murderer took out his weapon and pointed it at the two police officers. They panicked and fired off a quick burst of shots. It's unfortunate some people were hurt but lets not foolishly suggest that you could of done better in this scenario. What if the police only shot 3 times and thought the man was down, but then he shoots back and kills the two officers and also hits innocent civilians BEHIND them?

Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henna View Post
yes, what you seem to be missing is that the cops are confronting a guy with a loaded gun who has just shot one person to death.

At the time, they had no idea that the shooter had killed someone he had an ongoing dispute with. All they knew is that he shot someone. That someone could have been any random pedestrian on the street. It's insane if you think a shooter pointing a loaded gun on a busy midtown street who has already shot one person to death should be given the benefit of the doubt.

If i go outside my apartment building and a guy with a gun murders someone on the sidewalk in broad daylight, walks down the street pointing same loaded gun at cops, yes, i would expect them to shoot to kill and not assume "oh, he must have disliked the guy on the sidewalk. He probably won't shoot anyone else so let's just hang back and see what he does next."
bingo!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Yeah because running a red light or stealing a car is synonymous with COLD BLOODED MURDER

Old 08-26-2012, 07:07 PM

466 posts, read 901,632 times
Quote:

Shooting a gunman who has already committed murder and is pointing a gun at other people = seeking to minimize damage. Period. You don't give him the chance to pull the trigger if he's pointing his gun at anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City