Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You're saying that all these people who were not from the US were identifying your regional US Southern accent and hassling you about it? Very strange.

Lol. They were a combo of the two percenters (US born citizens in NYC) and the second generation immigrants who'd apparently learned from observing the locals that if you want to fit in and become a real NYer you must learn to be rude and snootily despise all things "southern" as soon as you detect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 11:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Lol. They were a combo of the two percenters (US born citizens in NYC) and the second generation immigrants who'd apparently learned from observing the locals that if you want to fit in and become a real NYer you must learn to be rude and snootily despise all things "southern" as soon as you detect it.
Hmm. Now you're including "second generation immigrants" (who are actually natural born Americans) as part of the 98% that you met who don't speak English well and aren't Americans?

That's weird too. Something about your story doesn't add up, or you just like exaggerating to make your complaints sound worse.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:32 AM

75 posts, read 107,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
How do you get to be 21+ years old and still think that people like you are "regular folk" and others are weird and scary? That's how small children think.
I never said that people in New York or immigrants, or people who spoke a different language were scary. What I did say is that in New York City nearly everyone I meet is cold and distant and abrupt and rude. I suspect that much of the reason for this is the huge range of people, tight spaces, 100s of languages, culture clashes and mistrust. The media tries to tell us that immigrants from all over the world share a common bond and all love and respect each other because they share an immigrant experience. I find the opposite. I think most immigrants (who dominate NYC) are mistrustful of people who are different than themselves (pretty much everyone) and put up a wall and only are friendly and open to people from their home country. White people born in America are more conditioned by political correctness and upbringing to be open to strangers different than themselves. People from overseas were not impacted by this upbringing or political correctness.

Back in Athens GA most people are fifth generation Americans and have common bonds and culture, so they are open to each other in most cases.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:06 AM

428 posts, read 969,699 times
With as rude as some people are being to this new person, how is it even a wonder that people think this way of NYers? You’re proving their point by acting this way. SMH.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 AM

428 posts, read 969,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I never said that people in New York or immigrants, or people who spoke a different language were scary. What I did say is that in New York City nearly everyone I meet is cold and distant and abrupt and rude. I suspect that much of the reason for this is the huge range of people, tight spaces, 100s of languages, culture clashes and mistrust. The media tries to tell us that immigrants from all over the world share a common bond and all love and respect each other because they share an immigrant experience. I find the opposite. I think most immigrants (who dominate NYC) are mistrustful of people who are different than themselves (pretty much everyone) and put up a wall and only are friendly and open to people from their home country. White people born in America are more conditioned by political correctness and upbringing to be open to strangers different than themselves. People from overseas were not impacted by this upbringing or political correctness.

Back in Athens GA most people are fifth generation Americans and have common bonds and culture, so they are open to each other in most cases.
I understand. People that have lived here all of their lives don't see it b/c they're jaded. But it's true. For such a cultural city, I've never seen people stick to their own kind like people here. Like you said, there are tons of cultures, but some appear very distrusting and create cliques/stick to their own. It's not something you would expect from this type of city.

And for the people that say, well why did you even come here then? Well, that part isn't exactly advertised about NYC. You learn that when you live here. And if you don't notice it, it's probably b/c it's all you've known and you've become jaded.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 AM

393 posts, read 782,682 times
Quote:

So go back to Athens. This city has way too many people anyway. I don't really get why you are complaining. Can't you find a job back there? Even if it doesn't pay as much, the cost of living is cheaper and you'll be happier. From reading your responses, you just don't get this city, which is fine. It's not for everyone just like the south isn't for everyone. Also, you are dead wrong about immigrants. I lived in Queens for a number of years and have found plenty of newcomers who were friendly and outgoing once you showed that you were the same way. You've already made up your mind based on preconcieved notions that you clearly grew up with, so why not go back to a place where you'll fit in??

Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
you just have to get used to it.
i mean what else can you do?

Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Man up punk!
Nobody forced you to come to NYC.
Don't like it???? Get to stepping then.
Unless your trapped due to the confines of having kids, your nuts for staying someplace you hate so much.

Not to sound mean, BUT....
Who cares about you and your tale of woe?
Nobody. Put NYC and all the people on top of one another and POOF ! you become yet another victim.
It's not for everybody. In fact, it's not for most.
And you proved that.

Goodbye.
Your apt will be rented out in 30 days and this city won't remember your name in 31 days.
That's just how it is.

Queen - Another One Bites The Dust - YouTube
'Nough said.

This guy sounds a lot like a self-named user called "jobless and broke".

Just go back to your little backwater town already.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:04 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
I am miserable in New York City!
Has all your whining and crying on here made you feel any better? Are you looking for validation? It's probably not New York or New Yorkers that are making you miserable, it's you! What you put out there people give back, humans are more perceptive than we even realize. You're probably putting out a bad vibe because you're culture shocked and people are picking that attitude of yours up.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Have to rep Regular Folk

Quote:

Regular Folk is exactly right! It's hard for people to understand her on this thread because they're filtering everything through politically correctness! Guess what? People from other countries immigrating to the US are not politically correct and do not think in such a way. They are honest about how they feel about those different from them. From my many friends, neighbors, and associates from all over the world in NYC, I assure you the majority of them here in the US still believe in the caste system (India for example), class system (Chinese, Jamaicans, for example), ethnicity/complexion (for example: Cubans over other latin Americans, Puerto Ricans over Dominicans, all Spanish-speaking people over Mexicans for some unknown reason, white skin hispanics over dark skin hispanics) for themselves personally even if they don't voice it publicly. I remember having a convo a few years ago with my then roommate, a Jamaican man. He made the comment that he can't stand White people in general to smile at him because it looked so fake and they are so phoney. I told him that I would rather someone smile at me than glare. I explained to him that it's their, White Americans, culture to smile, act friendly, and be nice to people you don't know. It's really American culture to act this way and it's silly to think that other cultures act the same or even desire to do so just because they moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City