Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 AM

579 posts, read 942,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Not like the one that is proposed.

I think the skating rink is a great idea because it will be a destination point. There is nothing like it in the area. If they had brains, they would turn into something like Chelsea Piers. Look at how successful the ones in NYC and Stamford are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 10:18 AM

791 posts, read 1,429,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
A mall or shopping center when create a HUGE loitering/hangout problem with the local teenagers and young adults. Especially with Walton HS right there. I think the ice skating rink is the way to go.
I tend to agree. There is already a huge shopping district on Fordham Road, about a mile away. Also, the jobs generated by retail tend to be low wage and dead end.

What I personally would like to see is some kind of complex devoted to small manufacturing businesses. However, that is unlikely, due to the anti-manufacturing bias of Bloombucks and his rich cronies.

If municipalities are going to give tax breaks, etc. to businesses in return for them locating there, it needs to be assured that the NYC taxpayer derives some benefit, direct or otherwise. Typically, such candy is handed out by politicians to their friends who support them financially.

Another chronic problem are local "community groups" (ha, ha) who won't sign on to anything unless their pet "consultants" are retained. I don't wish to condemn all such groups - some are good, but all too often they are nothing but legal extortionists who contribute diddly.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,648,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I think the skating rink is a great idea because it will be a destination point. There is nothing like it in the area. If they had brains, they would turn into something like Chelsea Piers. Look at how successful the ones in NYC and Stamford are.
I'm bumping this up! I like the Chelsea Piers concept.......multiple uses, as opposed to just an ice rink!

Say the armory in the news, today!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,329,201 times
Yes apparently they agreed to a deal, but have not announced which yet. I am just happy they are doing something and moving forward. Having this building abandonded for another 20 years because of idiotic politicians would be an epic disaster and 100% due to Ruben Diaz jr. He had to get something done otherwise it would be an albatross around his neck and end any future plans of his....which is why he is so blindly pushing fresh direct to come to the borough. At this point he is overcompensating for his Armory blunder by siding with ANYONE that offers any job. Yet another idiotic move by an idiotic borough president....you wanna know why the Bronx sucks? Our elected officials are to blame for much of it...thanks Rubencito!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,001,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Yes apparently they agreed to a deal, but have not announced which yet. I am just happy they are doing something and moving forward. Having this building abandonded for another 20 years because of idiotic politicians would be an epic disaster and 100% due to Ruben Diaz jr. He had to get something done otherwise it would be an albatross around his neck and end any future plans of his....which is why he is so blindly pushing fresh direct to come to the borough. At this point he is overcompensating for his Armory blunder by siding with ANYONE that offers any job. Yet another idiotic move by an idiotic borough president....you wanna know why the Bronx sucks? Our elected officials are to blame for much of it...thanks Rubencito!
Hi

Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,243,741 times
I read in the paper today that the ice skating rink won the right to develop the armory. Great news for the Bronx. It will be officially announced in a few days. Once built, the plan is to have the New York Islanders use the rink to hold their practices once they move to Brooklyn to the Barclays.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,437,686 times
Mayor Bloomberg announces plans to transform historic Bronx armory into the world's largest indoor ice sports complex * - NY Daily News

Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 AM

770 posts, read 1,126,795 times
About time. A multi-use facility is the way to go. We used to do track meets inside the Armory in the wintertime.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 AM

1,423 posts, read 2,538,874 times
Quote:
Either development is better than an abandoned site for another 20 years, and I think everyone can agree to that. I personally don't like the ice skating idea...I think this huge site would be more useful having multiple uses, like the open air market, restaurants, small businesses, movie theater, and basically "town square" feel under Young Woo's vision.

But at the end of the day, let's just get a deal done and move forward. If it is an ice skating rink it will probably be the best in the world. Either way....let's just pick one and move forward! So long as neither of these deals have a supermarket they should get done..the last deal was killed because Morton Williams did not want competition and they had Ruben Diaz by the throat....I wonder why he yielded to them hmmm $$$$$

Of all the ideas that could be used to promote development, nutrition, wealth creation, etc. they chose an Ice rink? Young Woo's idea would have fit a void in that area. How many ppl use an Ice skating rink? Sure, it will see a steady stream of clients initially. Give it 2 yrs and watch the the ghetto riff raff make their way there and create a vibe that will make a majority of ppl stay away. I'm hoping for the best, but I doubt it.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 AM

1,423 posts, read 2,538,874 times
Quote:

All the blame cannot be pushed onto the politicans solely. It's the voters themselves who vote blindly based on stupid perceptions like a common religion, common ethnicity, common language, etc. When voters start smartening up and realising they should vote for the best candidate based on merit and what they can do for the Bronx as a whole, that is the only time the Bronx will truly move forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City