Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 01:31 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,461,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I have never, ever had the slightest desire to attend this parade. In fact I make an effort to avoid going anywhere near it. I think it's the potential issue of the guys being cat-call like annoying. However, what's funny is that I have played mass at carnival in Trinidad. It was so much fun and an amazing experience. I think it's the atmosphere that makes the difference. In NYC people can be aggressive and rude. Throw in women in beaded bikinis and alcohol, you have the potential for a hostile environment. Some people just won't know how to act. However, when you do this on a tropical island where the festivities are part of their cultural identity and the whole country is focused on the event, it's a different feeling. I don't know, now that I've actually played mass, maybe this will be the year I check out the NYC parade. Maybe my pov will be different.

You do raise some interesting points. My biggest problem with the carnival is the generation shift. In the 80s and early 90s it was dominated by Trinidadians who were carrying on a cultural tradition. Many being hard core carnival participants back in T&T, or avid supporters of the mas camps here in NYC.

Now it is dominated by NY raised or born kids of Caribbean descent, who are "playing West Indian for a day", but whose cultural reference point and attitude is very different. I suspect that the same can be said for the Puerto Rican Day parade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 02:14 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,637,490 times
I go all the way back to 1978, when my godfather, who's business was on Park Place and who lived on Prospect, would take me up the block to Franklin and Eastern Parkway to watch "Jump-Up!"

Back then, there was a whole lot of space on EP to run and 'jump up' on! Now, with 2 million/year, one cannot even move on the Parkway, with so many folk! I also used to watch the parade from Grand Army Plaza, when I lived in Park Slope. Having said that, if one is going to watch, GAP is the best area to watch it; all the floats are coming in, and one can easily exit via Flatbush Av, Prospect Park West or Union Street to get away from the crowd!

Some folk tried to have it banned after the '91 Crown Heights riots. That initiative failed. Too much for the city's economy!

Old 08-15-2015, 02:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,493,965 times
Thanks for telling me, now I know when to avoid NYC.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:37 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,223,173 times
Looking forward to the parade as always this time of year.

I might drink a rum or three.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:43 PM

30,457 posts, read 17,882,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You do raise some interesting points. My biggest problem with the carnival is the generation shift. In the 80s and early 90s it was dominated by Trinidadians who were carrying on a cultural tradition. Many being hard core carnival participants back in T&T, or avid supporters of the mas camps here in NYC.

Now it is dominated by NY raised or born kids of Caribbean descent, who are "playing West Indian for a day", but whose cultural reference point and attitude is very different. I suspect that the same can be said for the Puerto Rican Day parade.
Was the parade ever really dominated by Trinidadians "carrying on a cultural tradition?" Particularly at any point in the 80s and 90s where over one million people were taking part? There just don't seem to be that many Trinidadians in that category to have "dominated" anything.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:33 PM

31,880 posts, read 34,374,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Was the parade ever really dominated by Trinidadians "carrying on a cultural tradition?" Particularly at any point in the 80s and 90s where over one million people were taking part? There just don't seem to be that many Trinidadians in that category to have "dominated" anything.
Not only that but TNT carnival is also full of non-Trinis and the children and grandchildren of Trinis who come to the island to "play West Indian for a day." These people represent a huge boon to Trinidad's economy.

A lot of old heads complain about all carnivals anyway. Many think it's nothing but lude and inappropriate behavior (a lot of truth to that) and that carnival has ventured away from its its roots.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:15 PM

857 posts, read 1,193,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

alot of the younger participants in the parade within the last 2-3 years are like 2nd 3rd and in some cases 4th generation west indian.....when i used to go 10 years ago it was a mix of american raised and FOB caribbean people......even those american raised (many cases american born) participants would speak some kind of caribbean accent so for a parade thats in the middle of a concrete north american jungle u got some kinda vibe from it.......you dont get those kind of vibes anymore..........

the best carnival i been to outside the caribbean was caribana in Toronto....the caribbean tradition is nowehre near as watered down, its safer, more fun and west indian migrants in toronto are not as ghettoized as NY west indians....

Old 09-07-2015, 05:03 AM

7,852 posts, read 7,743,051 times
Two stabbed and one killed at j'ouvert this morning. sad and predictable

Old 09-07-2015, 07:25 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,883,703 times
I'm going this year but I'm out before 6pm to avoid catchin bullets

Old 09-07-2015, 07:28 AM

105,682 posts, read 107,645,851 times
you have to watch the parade from the no shooting section .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City