Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 AM

424 posts, read 974,014 times

Advertisements

After moving from a bug free apartment I recently moved into a turn of the century apartment in Astoria that unfortunately has a bit of a roach problem; as do most of the apartments on the wall to wall block. Should have known better when I asked looking at the place and asked if they're were any bugs and she mentioned "sometimes" she'll see roaches in the kitchen. They're small thankfully but still very annoying to deal with.

Now I'm seeing them in my room occasionally and I'm trying to keep them out and from getting into my things, which I've worked so hard to get. I'm especially worried about my bed. Caulking any cracks and holes, which I can see, in the wall helped limit the ways they can enter but saw one this morning and think they may still be able to get in under the door or another way I haven't thought of.

What's the most effective way to keep them out of your room? Have heard conflicting info about Borax, I'm leaning towards the group that thinks it's toxic and harmful the more I read about it. I'm sure many NYer's have dealt with this and short of moving away have found a way to deal with them, somewhat. Speaking of moving if anyone knows of or has a roach free apartment for rent in a neighborhood with a reasonable commute to Midtown please let me know, I don't think it's wise to stick it out at my current place and run a greater risk of them getting into my things, plus they're frustrating and expensive to deal with. My friend is renting in a roach free building in Harlem (he's actually never seen any bugs there) so I now know they exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 AM

61 posts, read 207,771 times
MOVE ! I saw this book on a infomercial that uses household product to rid bugs. Chemical and natural products might slightly lessen the amount of roaches you see but this will not stop them . No matter how clean you are if everyone else is nasty in the building they can still enter your apartment. It sucks . Sorry this happen to you.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
starve them out until you move.
let them go next door.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
After moving from a bug free apartment I recently moved into a turn of the century apartment in Astoria that unfortunately has a bit of a roach problem; as do most of the apartments on the wall to wall block. Should have known better when I asked looking at the place and asked if they're were any bugs and she mentioned "sometimes" she'll see roaches in the kitchen. They're small thankfully but still very annoying to deal with.

Now I'm seeing them in my room occasionally and I'm trying to keep them out and from getting into my things, which I've worked so hard to get. I'm especially worried about my bed. Caulking any cracks and holes, which I can see, in the wall helped limit the ways they can enter but saw one this morning and think they may still be able to get in under the door or another way I haven't thought of.

What's the most effective way to keep them out of your room? Have heard conflicting info about Borax, I'm leaning towards the group that thinks it's toxic and harmful the more I read about it. I'm sure many NYer's have dealt with this and short of moving away have found a way to deal with them, somewhat. Speaking of moving if anyone knows of or has a roach free apartment for rent in a neighborhood with a reasonable commute to Midtown please let me know, I don't think it's wise to stick it out at my current place and run a greater risk of them getting into my things, plus they're frustrating and expensive to deal with. My friend is renting in a roach free building in Harlem (he's actually never seen any bugs there) so I now know they exist.
Go to an old Chinese shop. Ask for Chinese chalk....draw a line on your floor at the door jam. It works, they won't cross it. Use it anywhere, I wouldn't use it near pets, and not sure if it is toxic to humans, you'll have to research that yourself....but it does work. My Mom used to use a combination of sugar and comet, sprinkled on areas where she saw them...worked

Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 AM

110 posts, read 300,044 times
Amazon has this great roach bait gel that works awesome. It comes in a pack of 2 and it's like $15. Look for "Advion Roach Gel Bait".

I've had small roach problems in two different apartments and it always kills them instantly. Roaches will come from other apartments every few months in my current apt, but it's way better than every day.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
You can't keep them out of your room. You can only do one of two things:

1.Try to ensure that they die soon after entering your room.

2.Try to coax your landlady into springing for pest control.

Or do you mean keeping them out of your apartment? I assume you mean you're renting a room in someone else's apartment.

I'd find a good pest control company and persuade your landlady to give the place a thorough going over. (Sorry, I don't have anyone to recommend at the moment.) Perhaps you can offer to split the cost. But first ask the super if the building has a pest control company on retainer - some buildings have a guy that will come every month, for free. In my experience, borix acid is considered completely safe. The problem is that you have to sit around and hope that the roach walks on it.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Find out what roaches like to eat and plant whatever that may be in your neighbor's place.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moccawaii View Post
Amazon has this great roach bait gel that works awesome. It comes in a pack of 2 and it's like $15. Look for "Advion Roach Gel Bait".

I've had small roach problems in two different apartments and it always kills them instantly. Roaches will come from other apartments every few months in my current apt, but it's way better than every day.
This and some related products work well, As well as being adamant about keeping clean. No piled up papers should be around either as these pests will make it their hotel. Roaches multiply very quicky as well so jump on this right away. If your neighbors/roommates are dirty you will see some here and there-The defense is not making it club med for them. I have extremely dirty neighbors, Including that wanker that throws trash out of his window even and very rarely see roaches by following the above. best of luck.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:45 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Roaches...just another thing that makes NY City so great.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:52 PM

282 posts, read 575,438 times
Sounds stupid but I have always used Raid Roach spray and Roach Motels--if you just a some little roaches here and there, the combination does the trick. Spray the spray under the fridge, sinks, next to oven, etc. and put the motels where you can't spray--under your bed, in the cabinets, etc. And keep things clean. You should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City