Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 PM

10 posts, read 15,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by browngirl3333 View Post
Check out post : Safest/Most Dangerous places in Brooklyn (last page)

Hope you find some useful info from this post.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Glad to hear you were able to survive in NY on a student budget and are looking to return. Hope it goes well for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:12 PM

10 posts, read 15,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Like I suspected. Your daughter and her friends want to be able to drink after work and not have a long commute home. Why doesn't everybody just admit that this is the reason why they want a short commute.
LOL - that is not their reason for wanting to be close to Manhattan at all! Though I know it's hard to believe, not all college students/young 20 somethings are into the drinking and party scene. Though I can't speak for the other three girls, my daughter doesn't drink and would be much more interested in getting a frapachino at Starbucks with some friends than doing a pub crawl.

She and one of the roommates are carrying a heavy course load at an academically rigorous college and both will also have to be working part-time jobs to pay their rent. Neither set of parents can just foot the whole bill for them. My daughter got excellent academic scholarships to pay for much of her tuition but has to keep her grades up to maintain her scholarships. The college is in lower Manhattan so they wanted to be near a direct line to that area and no more than 30 minutes away so as not to spend anymore time than necessary on the commute since they will have so many demands on their time.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 AM

46,001 posts, read 34,988,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amomof4 View Post
I keep hearing positive things about Franklin and west of there but keep hearing a lot of very negative things about the eastern part of CH. My husband was actually with the girls when they were apartment hunting in CH on a couple different days and then made a trip with them at around midnight to check out the neighborhood at night. His impressions were that the Rogers/Bedford/Franklin area seemed fine - lots of people out and about jogging, walking the dog, etc. but that when they walked toward the east it seemed to start changing after Nostrand.
So he advised them to stay west of there.
Sounds like you guys have done your homework and have properly checked out the neighborhood in person.I hope she has fun at her bee place, and there is a great little Mexican place on Franklin with some good cheap food and delicious sangrias.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 AM

36,891 posts, read 38,801,914 times
They can live in the somewhat less beloved New Jersey on the other side of the Hudson. You can get pretty decent prices in fairly safe neighborhoods with easy access into downtown Manhattan (depending on where in downtown Manhattan they need to be--are they going to pace?).

Anyhow, that northwest corner of crown heights is alright, but it does get progressively or quickly worse if you go in any direction but west or northwest.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 AM

46,001 posts, read 34,988,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
They can live in the somewhat less beloved New Jersey on the other side of the Hudson. You can get pretty decent prices in fairly safe neighborhoods with easy access into downtown Manhattan (depending on where in downtown Manhattan they need to be--are they going to pace?).

Anyhow, that northwest corner of crown heights is alright, but it does get progressively or quickly worse if you go in any direction but west or northwest.
West is Prospect Heights and Northwest is Clinton Hill and Fort Greene, are you sure you mean that direction cause both of those neighborhoods are nice and rather expensive these days.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 AM

33,333 posts, read 46,774,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amomof4 View Post
LOL - that is not their reason for wanting to be close to Manhattan at all! Though I know it's hard to believe, not all college students/young 20 somethings are into the drinking and party scene. Though I can't speak for the other three girls, my daughter doesn't drink and would be much more interested in getting a frapachino at Starbucks with some friends than doing a pub crawl.

She and one of the roommates are carrying a heavy course load at an academically rigorous college and both will also have to be working part-time jobs to pay their rent. Neither set of parents can just foot the whole bill for them. My daughter got excellent academic scholarships to pay for much of her tuition but has to keep her grades up to maintain her scholarships. The college is in lower Manhattan so they wanted to be near a direct line to that area and no more than 30 minutes away so as not to spend anymore time than necessary on the commute since they will have so many demands on their time.
For 20 minutes more they can get a really great, much safer and (maybe even cheaper) neighborhood in Bay Ridge.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,804,797 times
Quote:

The area you mention is not the best area for single young females to be
travelling alone. Check out mill basin area and marine park also I heard Bay ridge
is a safe neighborhood but not for blacks.

Lol I'm black and I live in Bay Ridge, this area isn't waspy.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:55 PM

28 posts, read 123,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
Lol I'm black and I live in Bay Ridge, this area isn't waspy.
hey sweetchas,

Sorry I should have put that in quotation, I just quoted what I was told.
Anyway, I am so glad you responsed can you suggest and share which areas in Bay Ridge are k and how long have you lived there?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2012, 02:51 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,783,158 times
Quote:
hey sweetchas,

Sorry I should have put that in quotation, I just quoted what I was told.
Anyway, I am so glad you responsed can you suggest and share which areas in Bay Ridge are k and how long have you lived there?

Thanks
Like I was telling a previous poster, Bay Ridge has become increasingly diverse over the last decade or so... I'll let sweetchas tell you which areas are better than others, but visiting the area, it just seems like a solid working class area with a blue collar white majority...

Old 09-04-2012, 04:25 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,775,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browngirl3333

The area you mention is not the best area for single young females to be travelling alone.
Urbanlife78 says it is. He would know he's from Portland, OR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browngirl3333

heard Bay ridge
is a safe neighborhood but not for blacks.
Not true at all. I live in Bay Ridge!

Last edited by makossa; 09-04-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City