Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:11 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am happy people speak their opinions here..that's the point of city-data really. However, when you throw out your opinion, you have to expect others to do the same, especially when they are basing their opinions on anecdotal nonsense. You should note that the NYTimes, when it comes to anything real estate, white, or transplants, is purely fictional and for entertainment purposes only.
you mean like the article on bed stuys white population, that somehow overlooked the hasidim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 12:26 PM

520 posts, read 844,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
My daughter likes to dress like that, I think its fine.
Say no more... I understand.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
pretty much brooklynborn.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,787 times
As for gentrification, I think it may have been Denis Hamill, not 100 percent sure, who wrote a column sometime in the 90s talking about the gentrification of Park Slope/Windsor Terrace. The author was faced with having to move out of the neighborhood he grew up in and when he was talking about it to someone else at a store, someone he could tell wasn't from there by her accent arrogantly told him to get roommates. He pointed out he had [wife + kids] number of roommates already. Did a quick Google for it, but it may not be online or I may have the wrong columnist.

I know both people who've been there for generations and people who moved there as part of gentrification. For the most part, they co-exist and are polite/neighborly, but you do have people in each group who stereotype the other and get obnoxious.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Agreed. But the fundamental question for me is: Since when did we promise/guarantee that you will live somewhere for life, at whatever it is you could afford? In the real world, you live where you can afford, and if rent goes up and you can no longer afford it, you move. The end. I am not sure why this is a problem or somehow wrong/racist or whatever else people shout. You know what happens when I can no longer make my mortgage payments? The bank forecloses and I move. The end...and life goes on.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
While I agree with most of the complaints in this thread, I think New Yorkers do sometimes unfairly single out the Midwest. While there are plenty of transplants from the Midwest, I don't think they're the majority. Many come from the west coast, other parts of the east coast, or the affluent suburbs of NYC itself. The Midwest is not a wealthy region, comparatively. America's wealth is concentrated on the coasts.
I believe this is true. I would imagine the number of Midwesterners in New York is comparatively small. Chicago seems to have much more pull for Midwestern migrants in comparison. And Midwesterners have to take their fair share of flak from the coasts, but then again I've heard Midwesterners dish as well.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,309 times
I'm from NYC I hate accents like that no offense but it depends what your used to I'm from a hood with mostly people with deep voice or regular so that's what I'm used to so when I hear a accent like that talking to me to just "please stop talking"not tryin to be rude but that's how I was brought up (well how I brought myself up my mom hated when I did that to people I didn't know)I'm not really a type fake person I tell u what's on my mind.But not a snitch. Ok got off topic anyway not all new yorkers hate that accent I do.I hate when people think all. Nycers are the same its like anywhere else in USA (except its better lol)they have different opinions.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:06 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Agreed. But the fundamental question for me is: Since when did we promise/guarantee that you will live somewhere for life, at whatever it is you could afford? In the real world, you live where you can afford, and if rent goes up and you can no longer afford it, you move. The end. I am not sure why this is a problem or somehow wrong/racist or whatever else people shout. You know what happens when I can no longer make my mortgage payments? The bank forecloses and I move. The end...and life goes on.
100% true. If you can't afford to live in a certain area, you don't live there. If the rent gets too expensive, you move to some place you can afford. There is no law that says you must live in the same place forever. People assume they are entitled to the place they grew up.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:23 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
100% true. If you can't afford to live in a certain area, you don't live there. If the rent gets too expensive, you move to some place you can afford. There is no law that says you must live in the same place forever. People assume they are entitled to the place they grew up.
That's true but it alos means that the ethnic neighborhoods New York used to be famous for will dissappear.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,729 times
I think NYers are tolerant compared to other places I have lived. I think they embrace out of stater people and foreigners or don't give a damn.

In the other places I have lived outside Metro NY everyone is obsessed with "where are you from?" "are you from NY?" "Boy you have a real NY accent," and so on.

I don't really care where a person is from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City