Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I am a native Midwesterner and am curious about NY attitudes towards Midwestern transplants. Why does it seem like there is so much hate? In NYC people call out my 'Michigan accent'... something I've never experienced anywhere else. I'm told I sound nasal, high-pitched, and annoying. Wish that were a joke. Ironically, this was mentioned by someone originally from Ohio.
It's not hate; it's curiosity. If someone says something to me about a Brooklyn accent, my standard reply is, "Accent? What accent? I don't have an accent--you do!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 08:37 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I hate transplants who will refuse to go out to dinner unless the location is in Manhattan (below 96th Street of course). I hate transplants whose parents pay their rent and don't understand why you don't live in Manhattan. I hate transplants that will turn down a date with a guy because he lives in an outer borough. I HATE transplants that dare call people "bridge and tunnel" and sneer at them in disgust. However, if they are here to see the REAL New York and realize that Manhattan does not compromise the whole city, then I welcome them with open arms.

Yeah, this. These types have no idea.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:27 AM

420 posts, read 823,615 times
They're generally boring yet supremely self-centered and narcissistic.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:40 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
I am a native Midwesterner and am curious about NY attitudes towards Midwestern transplants. Why does it seem like there is so much hate? In NYC people call out my 'Michigan accent'... something I've never experienced anywhere else. I'm told I sound nasal, high-pitched, and annoying. Wish that were a joke. Ironically, this was mentioned by someone originally from Ohio.
This sounds like a comment from someone who was picking on you, didn't like you for some reason, or wanted to try to prove how much better they are than you.

I suspect the comment could have consisted of any kind of insult -- like your clothes being ugly, your nose too big, your job not cool enough, your neighborhood not hip, etc. This person probably just chose the first insult he/she could think of.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:33 AM

188 posts, read 276,859 times
Quote:

i dont know you but i hate you already

Old 08-31-2012, 12:23 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
I don't hate anybody unless they hate me.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Sounds more like transplant vs. transplant hate to me.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:45 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
As a native NY'er, I think fellow native NY'ers are a-holes. I love nice midwestern tranplants a lot more. At worse they are passive-aggressive, unlike rude a-hole natives.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:03 PM

106 posts, read 353,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
As a native NY'er, I think fellow native NY'ers are a-holes. I love nice midwestern tranplants a lot more. At worse they are passive-aggressive, unlike rude a-hole natives.
Not really. As a native, the other natives I've met over the years are actually very chill and easier to get along with. Somehow i also become friends with natives easily.

As for the OP. I really have nothing against transplants or midwesterners...all my co-workers are from the West Coast or Mid west. My only bad experience was with this group of recent midwestern transplants a few years ago that I found to be rude and self-absorbed...ya know, the pretentious hipster type. After living here for a few years, I'm sure they've mellowed out and have become more chill.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
NYers are stuck up and Midwesterners are laidback, very!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City