Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 AM

17 posts, read 49,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I am a native Midwesterner and am curious about NY attitudes towards Midwestern transplants. Why does it seem like there is so much hate? In NYC people call out my 'Michigan accent'... something I've never experienced anywhere else. I'm told I sound nasal, high-pitched, and annoying. Wish that were a joke. Ironically, this was mentioned by someone originally from Ohio.
I have news for you, kiddo - those people who 'call you out'?
They are transplants themselves.
REAL NYers, like myself, who are born and bred here don't act like that, we leave that for the pretend hipsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,422 times
I have no problems with people moving to the NYC area from elsewhere. Unless they adopt snobbery of their own and look down at the "bridge and tunnel crowd." Which is a disparaging term some people in Manhattan use for people from the outer boroughs and suburbs. When someone who's not even from the greater NYC area uses this, I find it silly considering they're not orignially from here.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:21 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
If you're nice to me then I'm nice to you. I keep my opinion of annoying accents to myself.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:06 AM

684 posts, read 825,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
I have no problems with people moving to the NYC area from elsewhere. Unless they adopt snobbery of their own and look down at the "bridge and tunnel crowd." Which is a disparaging term some people in Manhattan use for people from the outer boroughs and suburbs. When someone who's not even from the greater NYC area uses this, I find it silly considering they're not orignially from here.
Being from London, I loved New York City. It's a wondrous city and not at all 'snobby' as I consider it.

In the time I was there, I was offered several fake watches by several people(One of whom was so friendly that I purchased one just because of how very New York the story would be), rode at breakneck speed on a rickshaw through the streets, smelled raw sewage throughout Central Park(It was in June) and had a homeless person threaten to cut out my heart because I 'Shouldn't be talking like that'. I still have no idea what I shouldn't be talking like.

I also saw a rather brilliant Broadway performance, sat in the midst of families in Central Square at midnight and enjoyed dinner at the Brooklyn Diner.

Granted, all of my time was spent in Manhattan, but I don't think I could live there for years and still see everything I wanted to.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:49 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I hate transplants who will refuse to go out to dinner unless the location is in Manhattan (below 96th Street of course). I hate transplants whose parents pay their rent and don't understand why you don't live in Manhattan. I hate transplants that will turn down a date with a guy because he lives in an outer borough. I HATE transplants that dare call people "bridge and tunnel" and sneer at them in disgust. However, if they are here to see the REAL New York and realize that Manhattan does not compromise the whole city, then I welcome them with open arms.

given the concerns people seem to have with gentrification in Brooklyn, in Astoria, etc shouldnt people be happy that they don't want to go outside Manhattan?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:52 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Yeah, it's only the midwestern transplants that turn their nose up at certain things/places/people that annoy the crap out of us.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
The only transplants that are despised are the ones with their nose up in the air, or the ones that are here a week and they think they know more about the city than we do. I don't know which ones are the most annoying, the snobs or the know it all's?

Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM

106 posts, read 352,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
The only transplants that are despised are the ones with their nose up in the air, or the ones that are here a week and they think they know more about the city than we do. I don't know which ones are the most annoying, the snobs or the know it all's?
I find the ones who mask their insecurities with false confidence are more likely to have their nose up in the air and mingle only with themselves/ hipster transplants. I've come across some like those in the past, for the most part transplants I've met are pretty friendly. No reason to have an over inflated ego.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody69 View Post
I find the ones who mask their insecurities with false confidence are more likely to have their nose up in the air and mingle only with themselves/ hipster transplants. I've come across some like those in the past, for the most part transplants I've met are pretty friendly. No reason to have an over inflated ego.
I have met a ton of these types but it mostly exist in female Transplants in general but also amongst trustfund wealthy background male Transplants. I met one Transplant she was from Florida and lived in Midtown she had no native New Yorker friends all of her friends are Transplants. I was the only native New Yorker she ever conversed with on a one one basis. She told me about Tampa New Yorkers who move there only socalize amongst ex New Yorkers and a good portion of Tampas job market is dominated by New Yorkers. While here in NYC she refered herself as a gatorgirl. I also known a black girl from Nocal bay area.I suggested that she should live uptown in Harlem or the heights in order to get to Columbia in quick time. She said hell no, she said she is not trying to get shot. Then she said white people are crazy to move to those areas. This type of attitude seems to be all over the place. A buddy of mines who i went to school with here in Mott Haven dreads visiting Anacostia section of Washington DC which was like Harlem back in the day. He may have to move to that area to be close to work for a walkable commute. Many transplants have inflated egos to bring their egos down is is through alcohol, cocaine, weed, or X. If the economy gets better within the next four years maybe less generation y will stay in their hometowns and work instead of Megan's from Winchester falls Iowa moving to Williamsburg or Carla from Williamsburg Brooklyn moving to LA for her big break. Or Joey from The Bronx moving to Seattle as a game developer vs Caleb from Redmond moving to NYc to for iphone app development.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-04-2012 at 08:45 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 11:51 AM

6 posts, read 10,766 times
Default Midwestern Hipsters are Very Annoying

They come in droves to New York and Boston and act like they are cultural messiahs, when in fact the good majority are talentless hacks living off of mommy and daddy's rent checks.

If I hear one more art damaged hipster chick from Indiana tell me she's a poet, I'll puke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City