Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:22 AM

7 posts, read 20,373 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to NYC in three weeks to start a new job and I am getting a little nervous about surviving haha. I managed to find an apartment with a roommate in the UES for $1350/month (including utilities/internet/etc.). My salary is 43k before tax, with ample opportunity for overtime. I realize that I need to tame my "highroller" habits (no more cabs, drink less...) and I'd appreciate any advice regarding budgeting and living smartly in the city. And...if you think I'm a fool to move to the city with this salary, let me know, too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 01:20 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdj57 View Post
Hi,

I am moving to NYC in three weeks to start a new job and I am getting a little nervous about surviving haha. I managed to find an apartment with a roommate in the UES for $1350/month (including utilities/internet/etc.). My salary is 43k before tax, with ample opportunity for overtime. I realize that I need to tame my "highroller" habits (no more cabs, drink less...) and I'd appreciate any advice regarding budgeting and living smartly in the city. And...if you think I'm a fool to move to the city with this salary, let me know, too. Thanks!
I think you're a fool to make only $43K and pay $1350 a month for something you don't own...to add insult to injury, pay $1350 a month for something you dont even rent outright...your rent should be more like $950-$1100

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I think you're a fool to make only $43K and pay $1350 a month for something you don't own...to add insult to injury, pay $1350 a month for something you dont even rent outright...your rent should be more like $950-$1100
I'll second that ! It's more than what I pay to own my apartment and my income is considerably higher.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:51 AM

110 posts, read 300,044 times
You should really look for a cheaper apartment. You can totally find a roommate in an outer borough for $550~$950.

I lived by myself on $37k, you have to make sure you don't order out too much.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:17 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
At your income, you should be paying no more than $1000 on rent. Your rent does include utilities (are you sure it includes electricity too?) but I still think $350 is high for your share utilities in a roommate situation.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,448 times
That is WAY too much for someone making that much. We also don't know, will you have a car, what is your debt situation, how much will you go out and eat, 401k contributions, health insurance. Everything is FAR more expensive in this city. You would be better off finding a roommate situation in Astoria or FH then paying 1350 for the UES (which isn't that exciting anyways). If you search, you could possibly find a studio for 800-1000 and actually have your own space.

I would be looking around right now because you don't make enough to live that Manhattan lifestyles. Now 60k, then you can really start looking into Manhattan if that's what you want.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 AM

15 posts, read 34,298 times
It's great that everyone says he's paying way too much rent, but from how I read the original post, he's probably already agreed and may be stuck. The question now is, how does he make it work on his salary and rent?

Old 09-01-2012, 09:51 AM

7 posts, read 20,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
That is WAY too much for someone making that much. We also don't know, will you have a car, what is your debt situation, how much will you go out and eat, 401k contributions, health insurance. Everything is FAR more expensive in this city. You would be better off finding a roommate situation in Astoria or FH then paying 1350 for the UES (which isn't that exciting anyways). If you search, you could possibly find a studio for 800-1000 and actually have your own space.

I would be looking around right now because you don't make enough to live that Manhattan lifestyles. Now 60k, then you can really start looking into Manhattan if that's what you want.
I will not have a car and I am fortunate to not be in any debt. The benefits at my job will take care of health/dental insurance and I am still trying to figure out the 401k deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznmore View Post
It's great that everyone says he's paying way too much rent, but from how I read the original post, he's probably already agreed and may be stuck. The question now is, how does he make it work on his salary and rent?
Yes, unfortunately, I have already agreed. I really wanted to try and live in Manhattan while I was young and would appreciate any advice on making it work. If people think that it is impossible....well, I guess I will try and figure something out...Although, with OT I could make potentially $50-60k. I'm just not sure how exaggerated opportunities for OT was.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:24 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
Depends on what you mean by survive.

Can you obtain food and shelter in the 5 boros for that? Yes.

The problem is, you will be low status. If that doesn't bother you, then you'll be fine.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
You will be taking home about 2500-2600 a month after taxes on that salary. So if your rent is 1350 that means more than half your take home pay will go to rent. So yes it will be rough to survive on, but not impossible. Your biggest expenses will be food. I suggest making your own breakfast and brown bagging it for lunch as well. Another way is to take public transportation vs cabs anywhere. Also cook dinner instead of going out to eat, this will save a lot also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City