Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 03:42 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

Room with a view - In Sight - Connecticut News

from Shippan Point, to the right of the lighthouse are the towers of Co-op City. if say one was in a boat as a passenger facing backward, on a clear day how far up the sound could you go before you could no longer see the towers?

bmwguy back in May i think you told me that this point was about 16 nautical miles. is it possible you can see them as far away as from Bridgeport on a clear day going up the sound?

why do I ask? i went to the U of Bridgeport for 2 years, lived right on the sound and always wondered about the views and if NY was visible from the sound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 05:54 PM

188 posts, read 276,921 times
whats the point of this thread ?

Old 09-02-2012, 06:12 PM

you could ask others who posted pics in the past the same question

Old 09-02-2012, 07:27 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
I've always been fascinated about how far away you can see the Manhattan skyline from..

Nice pic, btw

Old 09-02-2012, 08:07 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
On the water, you would see less than you would were you to be in a high rise, unless you were up in a crow's nest, but on deck, the view would diminish faster because of the horizon line. However, I do think that somewhere around 25-30 miles is a good benchmark, depending upon eyesight and vantage point, and the size of the object you are viewing. Of course, this is enhanced with photographic equipment, such as in the linked picture, which can make things much closer. Remember that a spyglass was used in the crow's nest for enhanced vision, such that one would not have found available on deck in days of yore. Bridgeport, say in the Sound between Sikoursky Airport and Port Jefferson is about 34nm from Co-Op City and over 40 to the ESB. I do know that you can see the Manhattan skyline not long after takeoff from Sikoursky, but on the water, you would need to be a bit closer in, especially with Co-Op City as the buildings, as large as they are in context, would tend to blend into the horizon, not unlike Manhattan's buildings do when viewed from a distance.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
On the water, you would see less than you would were you to be in a high rise, unless you were up in a crow's nest, but on deck, the view would diminish faster because of the horizon line. However, I do think that somewhere around 25-30 miles is a good benchmark, depending upon eyesight and vantage point, and the size of the object you are viewing. Of course, this is enhanced with photographic equipment, such as in the linked picture, which can make things much closer. Remember that a spyglass was used in the crow's nest for enhanced vision, such that one would not have found available on deck in days of yore. Bridgeport, say in the Sound between Sikoursky Airport and Port Jefferson is about 34nm from Co-Op City and over 40 to the ESB. I do know that you can see the Manhattan skyline not long after takeoff from Sikoursky, but on the water, you would need to be a bit closer in, especially with Co-Op City as the buildings, as large as they are in context, would tend to blend into the horizon, not unlike Manhattan's buildings do when viewed from a distance.
Standing on the upper level of the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson ferry you can not see the Manhattan skyline. You certainly need that extra height taking off at Sikorsky gives you. Another thing to keep in mind is that looking toward NYC from the ferry, there are several areas on LI which are out into the Sound, like Eatons Neck and Lloyds Neck, blocking any distant views.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 PM

thanks for all your responses.

LIP--ive always been fascinated especially with views of NY City from the Conn part of LI Sound.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:04 PM

885 posts, read 1,882,087 times
The day this was taken it was not very humid and cool for sure... I saw it and it's the clearest I've seen in a longg time.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:15 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Room with a view - In Sight - Connecticut News

from Shippan Point, to the right of the lighthouse are the towers of Co-op City. if say one was in a boat as a passenger facing backward, on a clear day how far up the sound could you go before you could no longer see the towers?

bmwguy back in May i think you told me that this point was about 16 nautical miles. is it possible you can see them as far away as from Bridgeport on a clear day going up the sound?

why do I ask? i went to the U of Bridgeport for 2 years, lived right on the sound and always wondered about the views and if NY was visible from the sound
Seems like there is something weird about the photo in the link,like it was done with some kind of special lens or something,because it makes Manhattan look closer than it does from City Island or The Throgs Neck Bridge to the naked eye.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:31 PM

ive noticed that optical illusion with the bridges in other similar pics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City