Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM

18,357 posts, read 31,432,361 times

Advertisements

I feel for you, I rather have LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,233,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbliss View Post
I was planing to move to LA but now It seems like I will be moving to an apartment on manhattan instead. I was counting on palm-trees and waking up, doing yoga on the beach every day and now i cant do that.. Please tell me good things about NYC vs LA? I want to know how it is to live on manhattan/NYC.
lmao!!! are you me?!?! same position you're in to the last bit! im in manhattan! hahah. this place is the complete opposite of LA fyi.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 PM

87 posts, read 139,980 times
NYC a concrete overpriced jungle with amazing art and music scene. There are neighborhoods for every lifestyle. Check out Alphabet City, The Village, Tribecca, China Town, Little Italy and be sure to visit Hoboken NJ.
Just my opinion.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,464,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I feel for you, I rather have LA.
me too. But she might love NYC, so time will tell.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:42 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,499,597 times
My advice? Dont rent or buy in Manhattan. WAAAAAY overpriced and overrated. Nothing glamorous about renting a studio apt for $2-3k a month. Instead look into the outskirts of the city such as Astoria, Long Island City, Brooklyns Northside, etc. All are within a 10 minute train ride into the city for about half the price of living in the city. If you can find an area that's suitable for owning a car, do so and whenever you have the itch for a beach day, hop in the car and head out to one of the many beaches in Long Island. Many people here will suggest not getting a car, but I myself have lived in NYC all my life and have had a car since im 19yrs old (33 now). The freedom of getting up and jumping into your car for a wknd trip to the beach or just a drive to somewhere on a nice summer evening is priceless. Nothing glamorous about NYC's transit system either. ESPECIALLY on the wknds. Plus the money that you can save by not living in Manhattan will free up some $ for a car. . Those are just my 2cents. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,832,279 times
They DID and maybe still DO have Palm Trees in the Winter Garden of the WFC, the big glassed dome space. They didn't do really well and by the time of the attack on the WTC they were looking kind of scorched and shabby.
I presume they have replaced them since.
(I haven't been back since 9/11...too many tourists.)

I rremember the trees being much taller...Hmmm. Maybe they replanted a shorter variety?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 AM

18,357 posts, read 31,432,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
new york city has less nightlife then LA? First time im seeing or hearing this.

That is because you are living under a rock.

i come the era of mega clubs, NY has no nightlife compared to yesteryear !

Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,180,064 times
Sure it does, it just changed what kind of night life. Just like the times change so does the night life

Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM

3,932 posts, read 5,034,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
new york city has less nightlife then LA? First time im seeing or hearing this.
There's no comparison of the two-

The nightclubs, parties, raves, events at LA are top tier.

NYC nightlife has declined so smaller, very overpriced, lounges- constantly plagued by government intervention.

NYC had its heyday 10-20 years ago in the nightlife scene. Those who went out will agree, it has NEVER been the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City