Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:04 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,448 times

Advertisements

About 3 weeks ago, we applied for a sublet in an apartment building in Briarwood. We had a short timeline because another apartment fell apart given our credit scores and we needed a place by September 1st. We found a place on CL for 1350 and it was a great deal. The people that own the apartment have lived there for 16 years. Their son was moving out end of the month for college. In their posting they stated Sept 1st available. When we worked it out, they stated September 5th on the lease of which we signed and have a copy of. We had to move all our stuff to a storage place and live at my GF's parents in LI during this time. I only have Wednesday available to move our stuff in. That's the contracted lease date.

Now we have them stating they tried hard but couldn't get everything out. They had stated before they would be moved out and clean up and redo the floors when we looked at it. They also failed to mention the elevators would be out for 6 weeks (this is a 6th floor top apartment and we have a baby). We paid over 500 dollars in application fees and such. They are nice people and very friendly so we don't want to upset them, but we are very annoyed.

We spent about 500 dollars on getting a uhaul, a storage space, another uhaul, moving guys, and plenty of gas driving our stuff around. Now they want to store their extra boxes in one of the rooms. If it was like 3 boxes, I wouldn't care but I doubt it will be.

Should I ask for the application fees back and let them keep the stuff there? Should I tell them they need to get their stuff out of there (storage or a friends house or something?)? I don't want to be a jerk but with those two things combined it's become a nightmare for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Came today, move in day and still the apartment is filled with stuff. We have to move everything in.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Ugh, this stinks. Make them pay for your storage since you are accomodating THEM. Why couldn't they just move the stuff out to storage? How long is your lease?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:01 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
They should have moved their stuff to storage. I would definitely discuss some sort of financial consideration for you.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:52 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Hmm. Not to judge, but anyone can "act" nice. If they were truly nice they'd put themselves in your shoes. Have a heart to heart talk with them on the #1 issue to let them know how you roll. ie " treat others as you wish to be treated " and that you expect this, then ask for atime table and document in a spiral notebook

Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 AM

I know, I am so upset with all this because this is the move from hell. They took the boxes from the living room freeing up more space for us. Tonight they say they are taking out the boxes from the dining area. At this point the 2nd bedroom is still full of stuff and they have little trinkets and shelves. There are paint cans in the one large closet. They stated they held on to them in case we want to repaint areas.

The thing that annoys me is that they want a 1350 security deposit when the floors were never done. They never cleaned. A huge hole of paint in the soon-to-be baby's room. I'm not picky, I don't expect perfect, but I do expect it to be tidy.

Should I continue to avoid giving them a check? Cut down the security deposit amount since we will be doing everything to clean and fix up the apartment?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I know, I am so upset with all this because this is the move from hell. They took the boxes from the living room freeing up more space for us. Tonight they say they are taking out the boxes from the dining area. At this point the 2nd bedroom is still full of stuff and they have little trinkets and shelves. There are paint cans in the one large closet. They stated they held on to them in case we want to repaint areas.

The thing that annoys me is that they want a 1350 security deposit when the floors were never done. They never cleaned. A huge hole of paint in the soon-to-be baby's room. I'm not picky, I don't expect perfect, but I do expect it to be tidy.

Should I continue to avoid giving them a check? Cut down the security deposit amount since we will be doing everything to clean and fix up the apartment?

Congrats on the "soon-to-be" baby!

If they insist on the security deposit, give them the check along with a checklist of items that were not promised and have them sign it with you. I did that when I moved into one of my apartments. Your LL delivered an apartment that was not repaired or cleaned as promised so you shouldn't bear the brunt of it when you move out. You don't want to re-do the floors now that you're in. The smell is horrible. If anything, maybe put down rugs and ask if they'll pay for it.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Congrats on the "soon-to-be" baby!

If they insist on the security deposit, give them the check along with a checklist of items that were not promised and have them sign it with you. I did that when I moved into one of my apartments. Your LL delivered an apartment that was not repaired or cleaned as promised so you shouldn't bear the brunt of it when you move out. You don't want to re-do the floors now that you're in. The smell is horrible. If anything, maybe put down rugs and ask if they'll pay for it.
I meant more of my daughter now. Hope not another one on the way just yet!

That's a very good idea about the rugs. They want 80% coverage for the co-op, so we need them. They did nothing to get the floors done. It's funny too because he thinks letting us use his parking spot in the building for a month (since he paid for it) is enough. It says clearly in the house rules for the building that he can't provide us with his parking spot even if he paid. I would love to have a spot in the building but I don't need a nosy neighbor reporting us to the board and getting us kicked out. Plus he was moving out large items on the weekend, a big no no.

We took pictures of the state of the apartment when we got there on the 5th. I will continue to document the dates when I spoke to him and the verbal agreement that was made. We have spent hundreds of dollars because of them, and it's not even in move in ready state. Storage unit to store our stuff, uhaul 2 times, and LIRR passes since I have to commute to work from her parents plus babysitting because we needed to move esssentially 2 times.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:40 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
I commend you for your patience. But unless the lease allows him to keep his property in the apartment, he's taking up space that you're paying for.
Ask for a discount in rent for the inconvenience, and since the apt, apparently is not in moving-in condition, you might want to ask to start the lease a little later. Say Sept 15.
You say the guy is nice.
That might very well be the case.
But he's also pretty inconsiderate and/or irresponsible for not doing things right.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I meant more of my daughter now. Hope not another one on the way just yet!

That's a very good idea about the rugs. They want 80% coverage for the co-op, so we need them. They did nothing to get the floors done. It's funny too because he thinks letting us use his parking spot in the building for a month (since he paid for it) is enough. It says clearly in the house rules for the building that he can't provide us with his parking spot even if he paid. I would love to have a spot in the building but I don't need a nosy neighbor reporting us to the board and getting us kicked out. Plus he was moving out large items on the weekend, a big no no.

We took pictures of the state of the apartment when we got there on the 5th. I will continue to document the dates when I spoke to him and the verbal agreement that was made. We have spent hundreds of dollars because of them, and it's not even in move in ready state. Storage unit to store our stuff, uhaul 2 times, and LIRR passes since I have to commute to work from her parents plus babysitting because we needed to move esssentially 2 times.

LOL...OH!! I thought you meant your gf was expecting. That's crazy about the parking spot. If he paid for it what difference does it make if you use it? Unless they refund him back the difference for days he didn't use the spot.

The parking spot cannot "replace" the promise of a new floor, them moving out timely and handing over a clean apartment. If they own the apartment, why didn't they put down rugs if it's required by the co-op board?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: