Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM

520 posts, read 844,230 times

Advertisements

I came across the document below, which is an "assimilation" or "cultural" guide for Chinese students.

http://www.chinesestudentsusa.net/gu...syncrasies.pdf

I found this to be quite funny:

"Physical Contact... Strangers usually try to avoid touching each other, even in a crowd - if you
accidentally brush against a stranger always say “Excuse Me” or “Sorry,” even if the
other person was responsible."

and

"Personal Space... Most Americans automatically keep a distance of about three feet from strangers and colleagues, even during conversation or when standing in line. When you enter this space, they become uncomfortable. If you find someone backing away from you, just stop moving closer. He’ll adjust to the distance that is most comfortable, and you’ll be the only one who knows what happened."

I couldn't help by think about this behavior apparent in the shoppers at some of the Chinese supermarkets. Perhaps they should give out similar guides at the customs.

That made me think of some of the strange customs of our country vs. the world.

I find it very odd that we are the only residents of the country that defines our national identity by the continent we live on, meanwhile we exclude others from that same rule. Meaning, we call ourselves Americans and some make statements like "America is for Americans," which usually means that everyone from South America, Mexico and Canada are excluded. Or use phrases such as "American Citizen." Meanwhile you'll never hear a Canadian or a Mexican identify themselves as American. We sort of claim that the continent is our nationality, and don't allow anyone who resides on the Continent to claim the same.

This is different all over the world. People define themselves as African, Asian, Middle Eastern, European belonging to many different countries, but their nationality is usually attributed to a nation rather than a continent. It's just very strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
I came across the document below, which is an "assimilation" or "cultural" guide for Chinese students.

http://www.chinesestudentsusa.net/gu...syncrasies.pdf

I found this to be quite funny:

"Physical Contact... Strangers usually try to avoid touching each other, even in a crowd - if you
accidentally brush against a stranger always say “Excuse Me” or “Sorry,” even if the
other person was responsible."

and

"Personal Space... Most Americans automatically keep a distance of about three feet from strangers and colleagues, even during conversation or when standing in line. When you enter this space, they become uncomfortable. If you find someone backing away from you, just stop moving closer. He’ll adjust to the distance that is most comfortable, and you’ll be the only one who knows what happened."

I couldn't help by think about this behavior apparent in the shoppers at some of the Chinese supermarkets. Perhaps they should give out similar guides at the customs.

That made me think of some of the strange customs of our country vs. the world.

I find it very odd that we are the only residents of the country that defines our national identity by the continent we live on, meanwhile we exclude others from that same rule. Meaning, we call ourselves Americans and some make statements like "America is for Americans," which usually means that everyone from South America, Mexico and Canada are excluded. Or use phrases such as "American Citizen." Meanwhile you'll never hear a Canadian or a Mexican identify themselves as American. We sort of claim that the continent is our nationality, and don't allow anyone who resides on the Continent to claim the same.

This is different all over the world. People define themselves as African, Asian, Middle Eastern, European belonging to many different countries, but their nationality is usually attributed to a nation rather than a continent. It's just very strange.
The country is called the United States of America. Thats why people call themselves Americans. People aren't going to call themselves USAans.
And people generally refer to the USA as "the US" or as "America". So America (the country), as opposed to North America or South America (or "the Americas") is legitimate usage. Canadians aren't Americans, they are North Americans.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:

It come from an ingrained(brainwashed?) sense of MANIFEST DESTINY Manifest destiny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remember this concept from high school us history ?

It will likely take at least a few more decades of a sinking position in the world and a shrinking white population for this ridiculous belief to be expunged from the national consciousness....along with all that silly "god shed his grace on thee" and "with brotherhood from sea to shining sea" crap.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-05-2012 at 10:43 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The country is called the United States of America. Thats why people call themselves Americans. People aren't going to call themselves USAans.
USAans doesn't exactly have the same fluid sound as "American," but it's still pretty wrong to define your nationality by the continent, yet not to allow others to do the same. Mexicans are also North Americans and so are we. The American continent is divided into North and South, it's just preposterous when people say, he's not an American, he's from Mexico City. Or that someone must become an American Citizen, but they are an American citizen, they live in America. It bothers me because it's completely illogical.

Quote:
And people generally refer to the USA as "the US" or as "America". So America (the country), as opposed to North America or South America (or "the Americas") is legitimate usage. Canadians aren't Americans, they are North Americans.
Canadians are Americans. We are also North Americans. I'm not saying that stating that people from USA are American is wrong, I'm saying that it's wrong to exclude others from that same statement if they live on the same continent as us. This just reinforces the world sentiment of our arrogance.

How about the whole idea of changing the metric system, or calling football soccer? It's just odd. It's as if from the beginning the nation was trying to completely separate itself from the rest of the world, and continues to do so by further delving into that "Americana" sensibility. I think it's somewhat advantageous for the government to create this sense of isolation. I don't think that it's an individual choice necessarily, the benefit lies in the idea of the world's reaction to this sense of isolation and superiority. The world community starts criticizing US citizens, who in turn become more defensive and thus loyalty is bred and military enrollment increases. Easier to control and manipulate people who feel attacked, alone and unique in the world.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:22 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
And yet, while everyone loves to criticize America--excuse me! I meant to say, the United States--this is the place more people want to come to than any other.

Also, I'm not quite sure what this thread has to do with the New York City forum.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Quote:

How about the whole idea of changing the metric system, or calling football soccer? It's just odd. It's as if from the beginning the nation was trying to completely separate itself from the rest of the world, and continues to do so by further delving into that "Americana" sensibility. I think it's somewhat advantageous for the government to create this sense of isolation. I don't think that it's an individual choice necessarily, the benefit lies in the idea of the world's reaction to this sense of isolation and superiority. The world community starts criticizing US citizens, who in turn become more defensive and thus loyalty is bred and military enrollment increases. Easier to control and manipulate people who feel attacked, alone and unique in the world.
For most of its history the U.S. actually WAS pretty seperate from the rest of the world, separated by two great oceans on ether side, and a huge prairie and a mountain range between the East and the West. We developed in reative isolation from the rest of the world, and weren't really a major world player until WWI.

The many linguistic peculiarities developed I think because we were relatively isolated. For half our history it was a major journey to get from NYC to San Francisco or from Boston to Texas, let alone Mexico. And going to Europe (as opposed to the one-way trip this way that most immigrants took) was pretty much limited to saliors or the rich.

So lots of our culture reflects that history rather than any sense of arrogance. We dont refer to ourselves as Americans as a diss to those in Argentina or Canada, but rather becuase as the nation developed there was so little contact with the rest of the "Americas" that it wasn't an issue for anybody. Used colloqiuially, as most Americans do, I don't think there is even now. But in formal written English I do know that some publications ban "Americans" as a synonym for U.S. citizens for precisely the reaosn you state. But in everyday use, I have heard no one really complain about it or misundersttod what is meant by it.

OTOH, talking with a Englishman or a Venezualan about football? Now THAT can be confusing!

Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM

You're right Fred. My mistake, it doesn't have anything to do with NYC. I was just interested in the opinions of New Yorkers... if they do find certain oddities. As for coming to the US, it's true, but many are leaving as well. For the most part people have been coming here for economic opportunities and for the general tolerance and acceptance of various immigrant groups. This is no longer the case. Immigrants and immigration are on a very tight rope, and the national budget is on a shoestring. Those who come here for those two aspects don't usually rave about the great quality of life, but rather complain about the long hours, reduced socialization and a very demanding job market. This is of course my observation.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
For most of its history the U.S. actually WAS pretty seperate from the rest of the world, separated by two great oceans on ether side, and a huge prairie and a mountain range between the East and the West.
That is what I used to think as well. Much of the mainstream literature supports that theory as well. However, I'm starting to realize that not everything happened spontaneously, much of it was indeed planned. For political, commercial and economic reasons. Certain groups were pushed in certain areas, others were disenfranchised, manufacturing plants were moved into isolated regions, districts are redrawn. Much of this happened systematically.

And Canada, as well as South America are also isolated, but many of the progressive nations have people who are much more aware of their surroundings and the rest of the world than many of the people in the States. The educational system alone is very specific about the sort of curriculum it follows, and the history that it teaches. The news are very specific about their broadcasting content. Sure one has a choice, but it's like moving upstream, and many large corporations and the government makes sure that there is only one stream going steadily in one direction. One can look at voting disenfranchisement in this country, or the Tammany Hall alone as this manipulative political machine which influenced the masses, not to mention our very own Robert Moses who was very very deliberate about his political and social planning.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
The short name for United States of America is America. Hence, "Americans".

"The Americas" is not the same. Nor is North American, etc. America is a subpart of North America. The continent is not "America". So you going off on a rant about excluding others is whats illogical. There is no continent called America. Its either the AmericaS, or North America etc. if you want to list it. If you're saying "America" when you actually mean "North America", thats your sloppiness, but its a specious argument. No need to start encouraging the conspiracy theorists here about exclusion etc.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
"The Americas" is not the same. Nor is North American, etc. America is a subpart of North America. The continent is not "America". So you going off on a rant about excluding others is whats illogical. There is no continent called America. Its either the AmericaS, or North America etc. if you want to list it. If you're saying "America" when you actually mean "North America", thats your sloppiness, but its a specious argument. No need to start encouraging the conspiracy theorists here about exclusion etc.
Hmm...

Quote:
"AMERICA, second largest isolated landmass of the earth, comprising the two continents of the western hemisphere. America is a common designation for either or both North America and South America, for the western hemisphere as a whole, and for the United States of America. The entire western hemisphere is often called the Americas. The word first appeared in Cosmographiae Introductio (Introduction to Cosmography), edited and published in 1507 by the German cartographer Martin Waldseemüller. The name was derived from Americus, the Latinized given name of the Italian navigator Amerigo Vespucci, whose expeditions to the New World are described in the work. As used by Waldseemüller, the term America specifically referred to the lands that were explored by Christopher Columbus, Vespucci, and other early explorers of the West Indies and the NE coast of the southern continent. The Flemish geographer Gerardus Mercator first used the word to indicate all the western hemisphere on a map of the world published in 1538.
Copyright © 2002 World Almanac Education Group, Inc. Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia
Source: Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia
Accession Number: AM082400"
What was that about my sloppiness?

Last edited by Entangled; 09-05-2012 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City