Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:25 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
Whoever thinks Grimaldi's pizza is good must have dead taste buds. That pizza is missing something and that absence leaves it almost tasteless. There is a pizzeria in Park Slope that has the taste Grimaldi's is missing. If only I could remember it's name.
Giusseppina's maybe? That pizza is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Pizza is so generic, imo, that "New York Style Pizza" really doesn't mean anything. Perhaps it did at one point many, many years ago before there was a Sbarro's in every mall from Long Island to Honolulu. The pizza in NYC is virtually indistinguishable from pizza everywhere else.

I prefer Chicago style. It feels like I'm getting a meal rather than a nice little snack.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Pizza is so generic, imo, that "New York Style Pizza" really doesn't mean anything. Perhaps it did at one point many, many years ago before there was a Sbarro's in every mall from Long Island to Honolulu. The pizza in NYC is virtually indistinguishable from pizza everywhere else.

I prefer Chicago style. It feels like I'm getting a meal rather than a nice little snack.
You post your location as Brooklyn, NY and you actually wrote this??

Although the fact that you consider what they serve at Sbarro's "pizza" makes your judgment a bit suspect after all ...

Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You post your location as Brooklyn, NY and you actually wrote this??
Yep. I sure did. The quality is not any different from what you find elsewhere. Pizza is generic as all f***.

Quote:
Although the fact that you consider what they serve at Sbarro's "pizza" makes your judgment a bit suspect after all ...
Who said I considered Sbarro "real pizza?" My point was that "New York Style" pizza is what gets served up at most pizza parlors across America whether the shop owners know it or not. It's not some exotic cuisine like Doro Wat. And in some of these places, the pizza is actually quite good.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Yep. I sure did. The quality is not any different from what you find elsewhere. Pizza is generic as all f***.

Who said I considered Sbarro "real pizza?" My point was that "New York Style" pizza is what gets served up at most pizza parlors across America whether the shop owners know it or not. It's not some exotic cuisine like Doro Wat. And in some of these places, the pizza is actually quite good.
You really need to eat at some GOOD New York pizza places! Try some of the ones mentioned on this thread! It is disturbing to know that you live right here and think this way. Sure there is plenty of "ho hum nothing special" pizza floating around in NY, but there IS truly great pizza here too that you cannot find just anywhere in the country. I was talking to a relative who is coming to visit for Xmas and she cannot wait to get here and eat all our amazing NY food, including PIZZA!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
You really need to eat at some GOOD New York pizza places! Try some of the ones mentioned on this thread! It is disturbing to know that you live right here and think this way. Sure there is plenty of "ho hum nothing special" pizza floating around in NY, but there IS truly great pizza here too that you cannot find just anywhere in the country. I was talking to a relative who is coming to visit for Xmas and she cannot wait to get here and eat all our amazing NY food, including PIZZA!
Eh. I feel like I've had a broad enough sample that I can confidently say that it's not much different than the pizza in other cities. I grew up in Philadelphia so I've been eating NY Style Pizza my whole life. It's frankly overrated.

If I had relatives visiting from out of town, the last place I would take them would be a pizza joint, especially considering all of the non-watered down, non-generic ethnic food the city has to offer.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Eh. I feel like I've had a broad enough sample that I can confidently say that it's not much different than the pizza in other cities. I grew up in Philadelphia so I've been eating NY Style Pizza my whole life. It's frankly overrated.

If I had relatives visiting from out of town, the last place I would take them would be a pizza joint, especially considering all of the non-watered down, non-generic ethnic food the city has to offer.
You wouldn't give them a choice?

Maybe it's just the people that visit me and my friends, but everybody from out of state and/or out of the country want to eat GOOD NY pizza at least once on their visit! So I take them there. (Just like I've been to the Empire State Building ten zillion times.)

Old 12-11-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't give them a choice?
I wouldn't think to suggest it. If they asked, I would oblige, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make sure they had something that's probably similar to what they've tasted in their hometown.

Quote:
Maybe it's just the people that visit me and my friends, but everybody from out of state and/or out of the country want to eat GOOD NY pizza at least once on their visit! So I take them there. (Just like I've been to the Empire State Building ten zillion times.)
The thing about New York pizza is that no one can ever articulate what exactly makes a New York style pizza what it is.

I can tell you what a Philadelphia Cheesesteak is. And if someone prepares it wrong, I'm quick to get in that a-- like a drill sergeant.

"Nope, chop those onions and mushrooms all the way up. Let em carmelize."

"No, no, no. The mayonnaise goes on the roll first. Then the provologne goes in. Then you put the roll on top of the meat for a few minutes."

"You gotta use more water, fam."

It's like grits. Tender love and care required.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:35 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,313 times
Gaby's pizza is great on hillside ave.Also go to Gertz Plaza Mall and go to the pizza shop.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM

630 posts, read 994,095 times
The best pizzas are found in Phoenix, Dallas, Orange County, Seattle and Chicago. NY pizzas and it exact taste and texture can be found in Bute Montana, Dallas, Tex, Denver, Colo, Portland, Ore, Orange County and so many other cities like San Antonio. They're real authentic NY pizzas, and the restaurants owners are from Manhattan, Brooklyn and Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City