Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 11,249 times

Advertisements

I plan on visiting New York for the first time. I will be flying into Newark and staying there as I cannot afford a hotel in Manhattan. What is the best mode of transportation for going to Manhattan? Once there, can I take the subway anywhere I would like to go? Empire State Building, Times Square, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:55 AM

43,341 posts, read 44,052,401 times
Yes, you can take the subway anywhere in Manhattan.

Where exactly are you staying in Newark? Some NJ hotels offer a free shuttle service to Manhattan. Otherwise, you can take a NJ Transit train from Newark's Penn Station into Manhattan.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 AM

3,798 posts, read 4,648,830 times
Prior to going on your trip look online for a subway map. Find out a handful of places you want to go and which subway station they are near. The subway system can be very confusing for many so the more familiar you're with it prior to visiting the better off you'll be.

You can buy a 7 day pass for 29 dollars I think? Depending on how much you use the subway it might be beneficial to get that. I think each fare is 2.50.

My advice on paying the 29 dollars. If you think you're going to ride the train 10 times or more then go ahead and just get the unlimited pass. You may not use 29 dollars worth but the time you'll save having to get a new pass each time will be worth a few bucks. The machines can be busy depending on what station you're at and sometimes you'll miss the train because of having to get a new pass. Plus, the less you take money out of your wallet/pocket the better IMO.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,889,818 times
Make sure you start doing your sightseeing early so you can be back in your hotel room by sun down.

You dont wanna be wandering around like a tourist after dark in Newark.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,225,986 times
Just be careful and watch out for kids with big puffy hair and sleeveless vests with no shirts.

Warriors, Come Out to Play - The Warriors (7/8) Movie CLIP (1979) HD - YouTube

Old 09-11-2012, 02:46 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,063,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Prior to going on your trip look online for a subway map. Find out a handful of places you want to go and which subway station they are near. The subway system can be very confusing for many so the more familiar you're with it prior to visiting the better off you'll be.

You can buy a 7 day pass for 29 dollars I think? Depending on how much you use the subway it might be beneficial to get that. I think each fare is 2.50.

My advice on paying the 29 dollars. If you think you're going to ride the train 10 times or more then go ahead and just get the unlimited pass. You may not use 29 dollars worth but the time you'll save having to get a new pass each time will be worth a few bucks. The machines can be busy depending on what station you're at and sometimes you'll miss the train because of having to get a new pass. Plus, the less you take money out of your wallet/pocket the better IMO.
It is $29.00 and very useful to get around. The subways are fast and major attractions have stops right near them. Also, Many of the machines do not work, Or may take money and give nothing but a reciept with a number to call in which they mail you a refund. I am still waiting for my refund.. that I lost returning from my 2010 return from Las Vegas at the Port Authority no less! I was left with $50 for the next 4 days because it cost me double due to buying another card. Try to go to a live person if you can, Please.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,992,142 times
Hopefully your hotel is on a bus line that connects to PATH, which you can take from a few points in Newark to downtown Manhattan. However, it's no given that the bus or your walk from the hotel won't be sketchy.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 AM

18,372 posts, read 31,475,415 times
just so you know newark nj is a crappy neighborhood. I wouldnt stroll around there.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:18 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,084,681 times
I strongly recommend going to airbnb.com and search rooms to stay in while you're there. You should be able to find a nice room in a place in Manhattan for $80 or less per night. Finding a decent room for even $50 a night is doable, especially if you include Brooklyn in your search. It will give you MUCH better options than staying in a hotel in Newark, which I guess even there will run you at least $80 a night.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 11,249 times
Okay, so I take it Newark is NOT a good place to stay. Everything I've checked in Manhattan is upwards of $200 to $250 a night. I have only 2 full days to sightsee. Will this be enough time to see Empire State Building, Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Center and Grand Central Station? I'm not a shopper and basically just want to sightsee. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: