Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 PM

25 posts, read 112,701 times

Advertisements

Hey guys:

As my company will be moving me and my wife and I to NYC in just a few months we are scrambling to figure out the “ins and outs” of the city.* Seeing as my wife has taught in inner city schools for 3 years, she is looking into teaching in the NYC area. During this process we’ve run into two BIG questions: how is teaching in NYC and what OTHER OPTIONS would be wise to explore within the corporate-type / services-oriented professional world.

Does anyone know what the current job market looks like for NYC teachers – namely those that are younger?* Is it extremely difficult to break in as a new teacher given the job environment these days?* Do younger teachers typically get thrown into the “rougher” inner city schools or does my wife have a chance to work in a decent neighborhood?

Also – anyone know anything on what may be required to start teaching in NYC as far as licenses/testing goes?

Another route I have mentioned, given we will be moving mid-year, is to look into other occupational fields as she has been cautiously contemplating making the switch from teaching into the private sector.* I encourage her to follow her passion, but after watching her go through the typical inner city school scene (working nights and weekends on lesson plans, spending personal money on school supplies for her students, and assault threats from both the students and their parents) I am strongly encouraging her to consider other options that may fit her skill set and organized personality.

Anyone have any ideas here for professional private sector occupations for a former teacher?* I’ve suggested certain areas such as Human Resources, Corporate Training/Development and certain areas of Consulting; however, I am struggling to elaborate further.* Can anyone help me here with what sort of job opportunities we should explore for her in NYC?

Thanks to you all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
there is little hiring going on. you may have to spend many years as a sub.

you do need a masters in education now.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:09 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david927 View Post
Hey guys:

* I encourage her to follow her passion, but after watching her go through the typical inner city school scene (working nights and weekends on lesson plans, spending personal money on school supplies for her students, and assault threats from both the students and their parents) I am strongly encouraging her to consider other options that may fit her skill set and organized personality.......
This is exactly what she will encounter daily in NYC.Chances are nearly 100% that she will be assigned to a school in an iffy or worse neighborhood. That being said,there is new hiring going on for the first year in a while.I am mentoring one of 4 new teachers in my school.

If she has inner city experience I think she might have a good chance of getting hired.

Teaching in NYC can be extremely rough but it is also extremely rewarding.Typically,about 30% of new teachers don't make it through the first year and 50% bail out by the 3rd or 4th year.

Aside from the daily grind,the biggest negative about NYC teaching is that the pay scale is a good 20% below that of most of the surrounding counties.This doesn't help the drop out rate among the teachers for obvious reasons. Most of the ones who survive the first few years then try to switch to suburban districts.

Despite all the problems and chaos I love my job,love my kids and love going to work every(almost) day !

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-11-2012 at 05:22 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 05:10 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
What city are you guys moving from?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:23 PM

81 posts, read 175,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is exactly what she will encounter daily in NYC.Chances are nearly 100% that she will be assigned to a school in an iffy or worse neighborhood. That being said,there is new hiring going on for the first year in a while.I am mentoring one of 4 new teachers in my school.

If she has inner city experience I think she might have a good chance of getting hired.

Teaching in NYC can be extremely rough but it is also extremely rewarding.Typically,about 30% of new teachers don't make it through the first year and 50% bail out by the 3rd or 4th year.

Aside from the daily grind,the biggest negative about NYC teaching is that the pay scale is a good 20% below that of most of the surrounding counties.This doesn't help the drop out rate among the teachers for obvious reasons. Most of the ones who survive the first few years then try to switch to suburban districts.

Despite all the problems and chaos I love my job,love my kids and love going to work every(almost) day !
I would second this, and I would also say it depends on license/ grade/ subject area. Some are more in demand than others. Most demand is in middle school, least in elementary. If you are an elementary teacher however I would imagine there is more opportunity for "private" teaching, preschools, nannying, etc.

On a personal note, I just survived my first year teaching in NYC. "Survived" is really the only word I can use to describe my experience. Year 2, so far so good knock on wood...

Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee09 View Post

On a personal note, I just survived my first year teaching in NYC. "Survived" is really the only word I can use to describe my experience. Year 2, so far so good knock on wood...
Congratulations !

Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is little hiring going on. you may have to spend many years as a sub.

you do need a masters in education now.
That's not what I've heard. There is a bit of turnover though because people don't stick with it...I have several friends who are teachers in NYC including one girl who came from San Diego, none had trouble finding work.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 PM

81 posts, read 175,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Congratulations !
Thanks!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 PM

25 posts, read 112,701 times
Thanks for the feedback!

My wife is an elementary school teacher so it sounds like it might be a bit difficult (or likely to end up in a rough 'hood).

What do private school teacher salaries look like in NYC area for K-3rd grade?*

Any ideas on private sector careers that are easier to get into with a former background in teaching?

Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david927 View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

My wife is an elementary school teacher so it sounds like it might be a bit difficult (or likely to end up in a rough 'hood).

What do private school teacher salaries look like in NYC area for K-3rd grade?*

Any ideas on private sector careers that are easier to get into with a former background in teaching?
Elementary kids are usually not that bad though so the working in rough areas is not as much of a concern...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City