Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:22 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,123 times

Advertisements

do they not sell these around here?

the #1 bad thing about new york is the trash filled side walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Again with this. Didn't you address this in another thread.

If you don't like it there are plenty of other cities to live in.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,525 times
I'm just guessing here, I could be wrong:

1) Having to put the trash cans back may not seem like a big deal, but mutliply that by each business. I believe there are separate, commercial trash companies vs. DSNY handlng it. Still, it would mean an increase in what private waste removal charges. Business would be stretchin pick ups. Garbage sitting around for longer periods of time isn't good for health/sanitation

2) Sidewalk space. Manhattan's pedestrian population expands considerably during business hours. From both commuters (people who live in outer boroughs and suburbs or other cities) and day tourists (close enough to travel to Manhattan back within one day vs. staying overnight). I see the trash bags usually anwhere from early evening to early morning. Let's say a business gets it's garbage picked up at 2 am. And the business doesn't open 'til 10. Garbage cans would be sitting out there, blocking already crowded sidewalks. Or the owner would have to come in early or pay someone to come in early to take them in. Then there's the matter of where do you store them? Given Manhattan rents, space is literally at a premium. And depending on what the business is, they may not have the space facilities to wash them out periodically.

3) I think I recall reading how the city has reduced the number of trash cans over the concern they could be used to hide bombs. Not sure, but I do notice less trash cans, especially in areas likely to be targets. The empty garbage cans would be one more place to hide bombs. So security is probably a concern as well

Old 09-12-2012, 01:56 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

You seem to have too much time on your hands, or you're just very naive. It's stanky here in case you haven't figured it out, welcome to NY.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:07 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

LMAO! I promise you all this is NOT me. Although he/she is like-minded obviously. Only I would siuggest the more sturdy cans found in some places like San Francisco where there is no detached lid that can/will fall/blow off. Those containers would make NYC much more appealing and much less rat-infested!

Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
[quote=ohiogirl22;26052513]Again with this. Didn't you address this in another thread.

If you don't like it there are plenty of other cities to live in.[/

Is NYC so great so that new comers have to learn to suck up its trash culture?

Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post

City ain't gonna change for no whimper-snappers. Newcomers can put up or move, they should have done their research (watching SATC doesn't count, try Taxi Driver).

Old 09-12-2012, 02:42 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
youngtraveler, you should run for mayor!!! OMGosh! all of your complaints would be resolved and NYC would be the most perfect place ever to live in!!!!

IBL

Old 09-12-2012, 02:50 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times

Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,525 times
[quote=leoliu;26063076]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Again with this. Didn't you address this in another thread.

If you don't like it there are plenty of other cities to live in.[/

Maybe I'm just used to it, but it doesn't really seem that dirty to me. The trash bags are mainly an evening night/thing. I may see some when I'm leaving work (6pmish and later) or if I'm in Manhattan early in the am (before 7-8am). The streets in most of Manhattan get less crowded in the evening hours. There may be a few areas where the sidewalks are narrow/crowded where you have to worry about avoiding the garbage, but it's generally not a problem. I've gone out after work at varying times at night and I've never had trouble with stepping into garbage. Most people put it by the curb, leaving the sidewalk clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City