Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:07 AM

55 posts, read 234,361 times

Advertisements

I heard that Jackson Heights is a nice, safe, affordable, clean, and diverse neighborhood in Queens. Is all of the above true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,971 times
Yes. Very nice and well built. It's cheap becuase it's chock full of Asian and Hispanic immigrants, but very safe.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:18 AM

11 posts, read 116,594 times
How much is the commute time to Wall street from Jackson Heights. Could you recommend a website to find places to live in Jackson Heights.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I live in Jackson Heights. It's true that there are many immigrants. That's probably why it has become a 'foodie' destination - so much incredible ethnic food. There are also lots of non-immigrants like me who have moved there for the great housing values.

I suggest that if you are commuting to Wall Street, you should focus your search on areas of Jackson Heights that are near the E/F trains. This would be the streets in the mid 70's, off of 37th Ave or 35th Ave. If you have a 5 minute walk to the express stop at 74th St., you can hop on an E or F train - those get you into Manhattan fast and you can easily switch to another train. I am not sure about the commute to Wall Street, but I am guessing about 45 minutes.

There are a bunch of good articles about Jackson Heights in the NY Times. Moving for the Food is a good one. Moving for the Food - New York Times

Another one is As Permanent a Home as Any One Can Be - New York Times

Old 06-08-2007, 10:27 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Yeah Jackson height is nice for dinner, if you like different types of hard to find South Asian and Hispanic foods.

However, I would strongly suggest against the average non-Indian or Hispanic person to even consider living there.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:49 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
However, I would strongly suggest against the average non-Indian or Hispanic person to even consider living there.
2x. Area is VERY foriegn.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:48 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Default probably good for you to stay away then

but that's not what other 'non-foreign' people are doing. If you check who is buying the apartments in Jackson Heights these days (which, by the way, go up to at least 600K) you will see that they are all 'ex-pats' from Manhattan and Brooklyn, tend to be white or 'non-foreign' and highly educated in fields like law, writing, tv production, arts, education, etc.

It's true that if you go out on the street you will notice lots of non-white faces and signs in languages other than English, so if that bothers you, you certainly should not consider this neighborhood. I would rather not have the kind of neighbor who is bothered by seeing brown faces and hearing foreign languages anyway.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:00 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,971 times
Don't worry about what the Klan patrol (Hustla/Mead) say, the precient covering Jackson heights is one of the quietist in the city. And of the crime that does happen, it's largley concentrated in East Elmhurst and parts towards the park.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:17 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
I actually go to Jackson Heights quite frequently for the Desi food. It is hard to find real good South Asian food in the city outside of Jackson Heights or (alternatively in NJ) in Edison, NJ. The glop on a plate that is served in most Indian restaurants in this area isn't anything at all like what the average South Asian person actually eats at their home. Unfortunately this country is very quick to dumb down a lot of interesting world cuisines. Probably the best example of this are the Chinese restaurants all over this area. In some neighborhoods there is a chinese take out place on basically every block, unfortunately few have any decent food.

I think a lot of you people are living in some type of fantasy land. Whenever I go to Jackson Heights I am usually one of the few white people walking the streets. I rarely have seen a white person getting on or off the 7 train there.

In fact you'll rarely see any Americans, either white or black, on the 7 train. The 7 train's nickname is the international express afterall, but a more fitting name would probably be the FOB express.

I mean the neighborhood isn't bad. It really stinks of curry and tandor dishes and whatnot, but if you can put up with that then thats fine. Nobody is going to mug you there.

If you go to Jackson Heights be sure to hit up the pan-wallah right on the corner across the street from the stairs to the subway. His sweet-pan are pretty good. They also usually have kulfi when it is really hot outside.

I really don't know too much about the Hispanic section of Jackson Heights, beyond that there is quite a presence there. So I really can't comment too much on that.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:24 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Don't worry about what the Klan patrol (Hustla/Mead) say, the precient covering Jackson heights is one of the quietist in the city. And of the crime that does happen, it's largley concentrated in East Elmhurst and parts towards the park.
I'm a klan member becuase I said the area is very foriegn. Oh well, guess i'm the first colored klan member!!!

I just backed a factual statement. I never said there was anything wrong with that, like if I really even give a ****. However many people don't like diversity (or they just don't care), and if he does like it that's fine. However he deserves to know Jackson Heights is far from a White neighborhood (isn't becoming one either).

Last edited by Hustla718; 06-10-2007 at 12:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City