Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times

Advertisements

And since there is a demand for 32 oz sodas..YOU CAN HAVE THAT. Nobody is stopping you..why do you believe otherwise? YOU CAN HAVE 400 OZ OF SODA ALSO. Nobody is stopping you from doing that either.

What is seriously wrong with you people? Want 400 ounces of soda? Buy lots of the 16 ounce cups..THE END. Want 32 ounces of soda...buy 2 16 ounce sodas. Even without the size restriction, we currently have no ability to get a 90 ounce cup of soda....I don't hear you complaining about Coke restricting your freedom to have 90 ounce cups? Surely there is a demand form the mega obese...so what is the solution? THEY BUY MULTIPLE CUPS TO GET 90 OUNCES.

There is a demand for molesting 5 year olds...so clearly we should be able to do that without government telling me what to do right..FREEDOM remember? Sounds like a silly comparison right? Kinda like saying "well what's next is the government going to tell me I can't wipe my a$$ more than twice in order to save trees?" And yet these silly arguments keep being made to get people to think the ban is wrong.

THERE IS NO BAN ON SODA...there is a limit on the size of a cup. We already have limits on cup size dictated by the soda companies. 90 ounces doesn't exist because soda companies say so..a restriction on size...who knew! Crazy huh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 01:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
And since there is a demand for 32 oz sodas..YOU CAN HAVE THAT. Nobody is stopping you..why do you believe otherwise? YOU CAN HAVE 400 OZ OF SODA ALSO. Nobody is stopping you from doing that either.

What is seriously wrong with you people? Want 400 ounces of soda? Buy lots of the 16 ounce cups..THE END. Want 32 ounces of soda...buy 2 16 ounce sodas. Even without the size restriction, we currently have no ability to get a 90 ounce cup of soda....I don't hear you complaining about Coke restricting your freedom to have 90 ounce cups? Surely there is a demand form the mega obese...so what is the solution? THEY BUY MULTIPLE CUPS TO GET 90 OUNCES.

There is a demand for molesting 5 year olds...so clearly we should be able to do that without government telling me what to do right..FREEDOM remember? Sounds like a silly comparison right? Kinda like saying "well what's next is the government going to tell me I can't wipe my a$$ more than twice in order to save trees?" And yet these silly arguments keep being made to get people to think the ban is wrong.

THERE IS NO BAN ON SODA...there is a limit on the size of a cup. We already have limits on cup size dictated by the soda companies. 90 ounces doesn't exist because soda companies say so..a restriction on size...who knew! Crazy huh!
Has anyone else wondered--if I can't buy a 20 oz cup but I CAN buy four 16 oz cups, then what exactly was the purpose of the ban? It seems counterproductive to limit me at 16 oz. but not limit how many 16 oz. cups I can buy at one time.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:17 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Has anyone else wondered--if I can't buy a 20 oz cup but I CAN buy four 16 oz cups, then what exactly was the purpose of the ban? It seems counterproductive to limit me at 16 oz. but not limit how many 16 oz. cups I can buy at one time.
This is more about changing an industry-engrained habit, imho, than it is about 'gaming' the system and the opportunity that remains of buying multiple cups of soda. If you are grabbing a value meal to go, or, walking back to your apartment with dinner, I doubt carrying multiple cups of soda is going to be quite practical or convenient, all for the sake of a few more ounces of precious soda.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:40 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
It distinguishes A) passively going for huge sugar doses versus B) actively seeking them out. Because a good proportion of people, including many uninformed, thoughtlessly do A), this measure should reduce A), without stopping those who wish to do B).

Everyone's getting their panties in a twist.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM

Pretty much...muchado about nothing. The whining and "freedom" rhetoric is particularly bad because of Obama in office and the election year. The same nonsense is driving an increase in gun sales..Obama has not done anything to restrict gun ownership, or even remotely made a passing reference to it..but that doesn't stop the gun lobby and companies from pushing the lie and shouting "freedom!" in order to...drumroll please...SELL MORE AND MAKE MORE MONEY. Same applies to the soda companies..nobody is banning soda or alleging to...but the soda lobby and companies are pushing the lie and shouting "freedom!" in order to....drumroll please...KEEP THE GRAVY TRAIN GOING AT OUR EXPENSE.

And so many of the public cannot see the truth of all of this. You rather have corporations dictate based on what's best for their profits, while government is trying to give you a little more control and level the playing field, do something that helps you ultimately, and you whine/complain.

I expect this from the rest of the country, but then you realize that we are just as bad as the "flyover country"...if not worse in many cases.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 09-18-2012 at 03:08 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
i guess everyone will go back to lugging 2 litres around lol.
at least they get to share it with someone if they want.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
Soooooo, will they ban all the insane amounts of coffee we drink in this company? There is far more calories in a Venti Coffee/Sugar drink then most soda has.

No matter what Sobro says, it's setting precendent. If they can ban certain sizes of soda, what's next? Certain size guns? Certain size cars? Certain amount of gas? Certain amount of food? When does it end for people that pay taxes and benefit society?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:12 AM

Banning children from buying alcohol, banning drinking and driving, banning dangerous/deadly toxins in our foods, banning unsafe/dangerous products, banning 8 year olds from driving, I mean the lists go on and on. I take it you were complaining when the "evil" government banned arsenic from foods? It sets precedent! FREEDOM! Where does it end? If they can ban arsenic from foods, what's next...telling me how much TV I can watch! I heard now they are trying to ban cow feces from being in our ground beef....HOW DARE THEY!

Sounds ridiculous right? Well that's the same lame argument skilldeadly is using. How dare they ban sex with 5 year olds....what's next..they are going to tell me how many hours a night I can sleep! FREEDOM! Where does it end!

You are welcome to live in a "free" world..free of those pesky government regulations and restrictions. I believe that world is called India. Enjoy!

As it stands now, soda is NOT banned, just simply the large cup sizes. How is that any different than the current situation? It isn't..except that instead of corporations dictating cup size based on their own profits, the government is pushing back and dictating cup size based on what's better for PEOPLE. One side is strictly based on profits, the other is at least ALLEGING to be on the side of people, has science to back up its claims of the unhealthy effect of consuming large quantities of the product. So which do you prefer? Oh right none of that matters...FREEDOM! That's the answer! Freedom to let corporations to decide what's best that is.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:18 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Banning children from buying alcohol, banning drinking and driving, banning dangerous/deadly toxins in our foods, banning unsafe/dangerous products, banning 8 year olds from driving, I mean the lists go on and on. I take it you were complaining when the "evil" government banned arsenic from foods? It sets precedent! FREEDOM! Where does it end? If they can ban arsenic from foods, what's next...telling me how much TV I can watch! I heard now they are trying to ban cow feces from being in our ground beef....HOW DARE THEY!

Sounds ridiculous right? Well that's the same lame argument skilldeadly is using. How dare they ban sex with 5 year olds....what's next..they are going to tell me how many hours a night I can sleep! FREEDOM! Where does it end!

You are welcome to live in a "free" world..free of those pesky government regulations and restrictions. I believe that world is called India. Enjoy!

As it stands now, soda is NOT banned, just simply the large cup sizes. How is that any different than the current situation? It isn't..except that instead of corporations dictating cup size based on their own profits, the government is pushing back and dictating cup size based on what's better for PEOPLE. One side is strictly based on profits, the other is at least ALLEGING to be on the side of people, has science to back up its claims of the unhealthy effect of consuming large quantities of the product. So which do you prefer? Oh right none of that matters...FREEDOM! That's the answer! Freedom to let corporations to decide what's best that is.
why do you have to be one of the only people on this thread that actually makes sense and isn't blowing this out of proportion?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:20 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Soooooo, will they ban all the insane amounts of coffee we drink in this company? There is far more calories in a Venti Coffee/Sugar drink then most soda has.

No matter what Sobro says, it's setting precendent. If they can ban certain sizes of soda, what's next? Certain size guns? Certain size cars? Certain amount of gas? Certain amount of food? When does it end for people that pay taxes and benefit society?

Yea, arms are arleady controlled. You cannot, is it happens, buy rocket propelled grande launchers in NYC. Now while some see this as an unconscionable infringement on a God-given right which will lead to a slippery slope down to where Mr. Bloomberg tells you which way you have to face your bed, others think this entirely reasonable. When does it end, smh. (The stupidity I mean).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City