U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM

8,747 posts, read 17,620,269 times

Advertisements

Skinnay..because I am cool like that. If you think this is bad, you should have heard the "destruction of NYC" nonsense when the smoking ban was proposed in restaurants/bars. Like holy sh%&, if you listened to people you would think all of NYC would go out of business instantly and the entire country would collapse into itself. I think it is human nature to fear things, especially change, but wow! Granted like the current soda cup restriction, alot of the hype was pushed by the smoking lobby with the same BS arguments of "freedom" and "NYC will end" to scare people into rejecting the idea.

COKE AND PEPSI DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU. They care about their shareholders, and if convincing you to drink 800 ounces of soda means $1 more in their pocket, they will do that, regardless of you/your health/society. It's that simple. And if they can't convince you to do it with fancy marketing, lies, etc, they will buy our representatives in congress to pass laws that are favorable to them. They are not a charity, they are a business and here to make money. They are not hear to teach you about good choices, or to educate you, or do what's best for you..they exist solely to make money.

Having the government push back is the ONLY leverage we have..so why fight it exactly? Geez.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,489,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Skinnay..because I am cool like that. If you think this is bad, you should have heard the "destruction of NYC" nonsense when the smoking ban was proposed in restaurants/bars. Like holy sh%&, if you listened to people you would think all of NYC would go out of business instantly and the entire country would collapse into itself. I think it is human nature to fear things, especially change, but wow! Granted like the current soda cup restriction, alot of the hype was pushed by the smoking lobby with the same BS arguments of "freedom" and "NYC will end" to scare people into rejecting the idea.
I know that I jumped for joy when the no smoking law was passed in michigan. I could finally go out to places and enjoy a drink or dinner without having to deal with smoke.
What else did that law do? it cleaned up the streets because it became more of a nuisance for people to smoke so more people stopped which meant less cigarette buds every where. Less people smoking means less lung cancer and emphysema cases. OH THE HORROR!!

also, when it comes to the pop, everyone complaining about the size, realllllly needs to go to another country. I had some friends from Canada that came here and when they ordered a small value meal they were blown away by the size of the pop. They went back up because they thought the cashier gave them a large. also, they wouldn't stop commenting about how much saltier and greasier everything was (although tastier)

and has anyone noticed mcdonalds ploy to get you to drink more pop? their straw is the widest straw out of any straw I have seen! outside of specialty straws like the ones for bubble tea.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 AM

30,335 posts, read 43,119,986 times
Quote:
And since there is a demand for 32 oz sodas..YOU CAN HAVE THAT. Nobody is stopping you..why do you believe otherwise? YOU CAN HAVE 400 OZ OF SODA ALSO. Nobody is stopping you from doing that either.

What is seriously wrong with you people? Want 400 ounces of soda? Buy lots of the 16 ounce cups..THE END. Want 32 ounces of soda...buy 2 16 ounce sodas. Even without the size restriction, we currently have no ability to get a 90 ounce cup of soda....I don't hear you complaining about Coke restricting your freedom to have 90 ounce cups? Surely there is a demand form the mega obese...so what is the solution? THEY BUY MULTIPLE CUPS TO GET 90 OUNCES.

There is a demand for molesting 5 year olds...so clearly we should be able to do that without government telling me what to do right..FREEDOM remember? Sounds like a silly comparison right? Kinda like saying "well what's next is the government going to tell me I can't wipe my a$$ more than twice in order to save trees?" And yet these silly arguments keep being made to get people to think the ban is wrong.

THERE IS NO BAN ON SODA...there is a limit on the size of a cup. We already have limits on cup size dictated by the soda companies. 90 ounces doesn't exist because soda companies say so..a restriction on size...who knew! Crazy huh!
Ehh.....the hood will adapt....they'll just go home, make a pitcher of Kool-Aid and fill it with sugar.
I don't think this soda plan will work.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-19-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ehh.....the hood will adapt....they'll just go home, make a pitcher of Kool-Aid and fill it with sugar.
I don't think this soda plan will work.
don't forget the purple drank.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 PM

Seventh there is no doubt that if you want to drink a keg of soda, nobody will stop you. Of course, we also ban people from carrying guns and shooting others, but if you want to do that you can do it also. It doesn't mean we shouldn't have these rules or restrictions because "if people want to do it they will find a way."

I don't think the singular soda size restriction will "work". But it isn't just about the soda size restriction, it's about the smoke ban/tax on cigarettes, the elimination of transfats, reduced sodium, calorie counts, fresh food carts in low income nabes, 1 million new trees, bike lanes everywhere, etc..which together DO make an impact on our health. These are all small steps which together make an impact.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:52 PM

10,096 posts, read 17,882,892 times
Quote:
COKE AND PEPSI DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU.
I don't know about Pepsi, but Coke does. First they taught the world to sing (even if they failed to buy the world a Coke), then they offered a Coke and a smile, then they brought back Coke Classic after that horrible New Coke thing.

Naa, seriously, of course these corporations don't care about me. So what? Neither does Mayor Bloomberg. If I _don't_ want to buy a large Coke, I can buy a small Coke, or no Coke at all. Coke will do absolutely nothing to me or anyone else in retribution. But if I DO want to buy a large Coke, if I do so Mayor Bloomberg will send in some city inspectors to fine the place I bought it from. I find that to be the greater harm.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 PM

559 posts, read 1,063,798 times
When I see morbidly obese people, I wonder. There was a recent article in The New Yorker about super-strong men who can do amazing feats of weight-lifting. These folks have to put in a lot of effort to build up their weight: they're constantly ingesting food. How do these obese people do it? Do they spend every waking minute eating? And I've heard that thighs chafe and ache. Don't they ever realize that the chafing and aching is a sign to let up on the eating and ingesting of high-sugar, high-calorie substances?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
When I see morbidly obese people, I wonder. There was a recent article in The New Yorker about super-strong men who can do amazing feats of weight-lifting. These folks have to put in a lot of effort to build up their weight: they're constantly ingesting food. How do these obese people do it? Do they spend every waking minute eating? And I've heard that thighs chafe and ache. Don't they ever realize that the chafing and aching is a sign to let up on the eating and ingesting of high-sugar, high-calorie substances?
They don't give up because there is always someone out there that is bigger and stronger. So they need to keep getting bigger and strong so they can be the biggest and strongest.

Being the best/biggest/fastest/whatever is not a great life to have if you think about it. If you want to be the best once and then after that say finally... now i can be normal again, that would be awesome, But these people spend their whole lives trying to be the greatest. They know nothing else so the circle continues. Someone gets better, then they have to train more. Whatever sacrifices they make is worth it in the end.

Also, a little bit of baby powder goes a long way with chafing!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM

40,048 posts, read 33,134,578 times
Quote:
I don't think the singular soda size restriction will "work". But it isn't just about the soda size restriction, it's about the smoke ban/tax on cigarettes, the elimination of transfats, reduced sodium, calorie counts, fresh food carts in low income nabes, 1 million new trees, bike lanes everywhere, etc..which together DO make an impact on our health. These are all small steps which together make an impact.
That's true. But this whole thing is about one other issue, as well: our Mayor's desire to tell people what to do. Drinking big cups of soda is just as unhealthful anywhere else on the planet as it is in New York...but has one other Mayor made any noise about it at all? No, because nobody else displays the sheer, unmitigated disregard for their constituents as our Mayor does.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:46 PM

I think the underlying issue is that the Mayor understands that the way the system is set up, the cards are stacked against the average person, and stacked way way way against poor people, particularly poor urban people of color. He is trying to do what he can to make a difference based on the limited levers he can pull. He cannot ban soda, but he can limit the size. He cannot ban fried foods, but he did take out the transfats..and on and on.

I think a Mayor who displays sheer, unmitigated disregard for his constituents simply wouldn't care what people do, what they eat, and tell his constituents, directly or indirectly: I don't care, drink 800 ounces of soda, smoke yourself into lung cancer at 50, and eat yourself into a heartattack at the age of 40. Our Mayor is choosing to actively make a difference...how you can allege then a disregard for his constituents is beyond me.

I understand that you greatly detest the Mayor, but your dislike of him is illogical and makes no sense based on the reasons you give. He disregards his constituents but then does what he can to help them make healthier choices? That doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City