U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,021,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Makossa I think Bloomberg genuinely cares for NYC and wants to take it to the next level, and leave his mark on it. He sees alot of the major problems and proposes his own solutions, where most Mayors or elected officials do nothing...which would you prefer a do nothing Mayor or someone who at least tries to implement change?

And I completely agree with Mobilevisitor's above post...that's exactly what the restriction is about.

Yes, he just LOVES to tell us what to do. I want a Mayor who makes sure women aren't being raped in our parks. I want a Mayor who ensures our children aren't being shot in the streets. I want a Mayor who tries to help alleviate the high rents. I want a Mayor who forces the MTA to be accountable for how much they truly spend of our money.

I DON'T want a Mayor who decides what is healthy and not healthy. We are adults. I'm not a child who should be told what I can and can't have. We have alcohol and cigarettes which have CLEAR health risks but they are ignored. I should be able to eat what I want, when I want, and how much I want. Just the same that I should be able to work as much as I want. Or have sex as much as I want. Or drive as much as I want. The whole point of this country was to create an atmosphere where people were free from a King and Queen dictating how I should live my life, then paying them money to live lavish lifestyles.

I'm all for education and adding calorie counts on menu's is a good idea. But restricting the size of items is stupid. It just drives costs higher for things that people want as a money grab. Aren't things in this city expensive enough?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 09:21 AM

17,499 posts, read 29,463,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Yes, he just LOVES to tell us what to do. I want a Mayor who makes sure women aren't being raped in our parks. I want a Mayor who ensures our children aren't being shot in the streets. I want a Mayor who tries to help alleviate the high rents. I want a Mayor who forces the MTA to be accountable for how much they truly spend of our money.

I DON'T want a Mayor who decides what is healthy and not healthy. We are adults. I'm not a child who should be told what I can and can't have. We have alcohol and cigarettes which have CLEAR health risks but they are ignored. I should be able to eat what I want, when I want, and how much I want. Just the same that I should be able to work as much as I want. Or have sex as much as I want. Or drive as much as I want. The whole point of this country was to create an atmosphere where people were free from a King and Queen dictating how I should live my life, then paying them money to live lavish lifestyles.

I'm all for education and adding calorie counts on menu's is a good idea. But restricting the size of items is stupid. It just drives costs higher for things that people want as a money grab. Aren't things in this city expensive enough?

I agree totally with this post.

Also, since when has Mayor Bloomberg become a health expert? Does he have a degree in health?

I rather my sons drink a large sugary drink while going to school, rather than getting shot by a gun.

Don't we think removing guns from school is much more important then some ******* telling us we cant have large sodas?

So now we have the soda thing, lets see what will be next?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:29 AM

8,747 posts, read 17,617,772 times
Skilldeadly, as soon as you find a Mayor who has the ability to eliminate crime, drugs, unhappy marriages, stale milk, bad commercials, and long lines at the shake shack, please let us all know! Until then let's stick with reality.

The Mayor doesn't decide what is healthy and what isn't. DOCTORS DO, and they state quite clearly what is and isn't healthy..soda being one of them. A good Mayor TAKES THAT ADVICE AND TAKES ACTION...a bad Mayor DOES NOTHING. He was hired to do a job, and he is doing it...why are you complaining? Oh right.."cuz nobody can tell me what to do!." That attitude gets you far in life..good luck with that.

PS: YOU CAN EAT WHAT YOU WANT, WHERE YOU WANT, AS MUCH AS YOU WANT. YOU CAN DRIVE AS MUCH AS YOU WANT. YOU CAN HAVE SEX AS MUCH AS YOU WANT. YOU CAN WORK AS MUCH AS YOU WANT. So what are you talking about? More "freedom" nonsense...it sounds good to shout "freedom" but it means nothing as your freedoms to do any of those things are not taken away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM

30,335 posts, read 43,108,407 times
Especially with children - the problem is they dont go out to play anymore. Its all about the Internet now. Couch potatoes. Ask any of these kids in elementary school when's the last time they climbed a fence.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-25-2012, 02:11 PM

17,499 posts, read 29,463,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Especially with children - the problem is they dont go out to play anymore. Its all about the Internet now. Couch potatoes. Ask any of these kids in elementary school when's the last time they climbed a fence.

Didn't you know?

Fence climbing was banned because kids can fall and break their legs, or cut themselves.

C'mom, get with the program!!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 PM

2,867 posts, read 4,578,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Didn't you know?

Fence climbing was banned because kids can fall and break their legs, or cut themselves.

Nanny states and nanny laws are emasculating the American male.
CHECK THIS VIDEO OUT!!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 PM

30,335 posts, read 43,108,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Didn't you know?

My son has his own computer...and he's 3! But I make sure he plays in the park too and I take him to the boardwalk. I smile when he picks up a stick.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 AM

40,048 posts, read 33,127,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
And yet, as important as exercise is, the Mayor hasn't proposed to ban computers for people under the age of 18. Very strange!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:54 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,654,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Diabetes is largely genetic and not caused by obesity. Skinny people have type 2 as well. Ignorant ****.

+1 rate

Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 PM

781 posts, read 1,124,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
+1 rate
Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: No, it does not. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors. Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories, whether from sugar or from fat, can contribute to weight gain. If you have a history of diabetes in your family, eating a healthy meal plan and regular exercise are recommended to manage your weight.

If you are going to make a point, at least make it an educated, fully descriptive one, especially for those that do not know as much on the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City