U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 PM

387 posts, read 637,759 times

Advertisements

Another over reach my Bloomberg.

The next thing on the Mayors agenda is to limit the breast implant size a stripper can get.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 06:22 PM

96,860 posts, read 96,044,238 times
If he wanted to do something useful he should have put a stop to those giant candy bars at obscene prices they force you to buy at the movies.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,542,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indiana also welcomes New Yorkers too
one of the top 10 states in the US for Freedoms.
Plus our taxes are low and our cost of living is low.
heck cost of living in Indianapolis is 50% that of New York City. Housing values are 80% lower too.
Lots of poverty in Indiana too.

At least, this is what was told to me by Indiana folks when I was in LA.

More low wage jobs than good paying ones.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,322,001 times
And doesn't Starbucks get yanked into this with Venti and the bigger Venti sizes ( 20 and 24 oz)? Sweetened coffees appear to fit the bills of Bloomberg mania.(high sugar and calories)

Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,597,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
And doesn't Starbucks get yanked into this with Venti and the bigger Venti sizes ( 20 and 24 oz)? Sweetened coffees appear to fit the bills of Bloomberg mania.(high sugar and calories)
Yup.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,182,538 times
My understanding is that Starbucks doesn't count because it's not a carbonated beverage nor is it a sugar-based drink, but who knows. I love Bloomberg, but seriously? Fining people who hold doors open on the subway obscene amounts of money would be way more useful and make my quality of life nicer by not being delayed.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:38 PM

206 posts, read 543,089 times
I'm good to go on my Big/Xtreme Gulp from 7eleven since they're exempt.

I almost panicked since I would have lost so much weight, a new wardrobe was in my skinny future.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 PM

781 posts, read 1,126,258 times
Despite the approach, I do think it's a step in the right direction; even if I'm biased as I study public health and urban poverty.

This is an incredibly insightful PPT in PDF form for those who would like some further information:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...nds-slides.pdf

I live in Baltimore now, but, I'm a native New Yorker--as a personal anecdote, I worked quite late the other night, and the only thing open down here was a McDonald's. Hadn't been to one in a while, but, was starving hence I bit the bullet. Ordered a 'medium' value meal and honestly did a double take when the cashier handed me my drink. A medium 'soda' at McDonald's is 21 oz. - I barely drank even half before throwing out. There's no need for this type of excess. It contributes to obesity, especially within lower-income populations that rely on this type of food as a staple. Granted, Bloomberg's latest ban isn't a panacea, but, again, do think it's a step in the right direction.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:56 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,660,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn ThePoint View Post
If I owned a store, I would give away a free big cup when you buy two sodas. Id put Bloom's picture on the big cup.

A gazillion years ago in upstate NY there was a Fireman's carnival/fundraiser. They did not have a liquor license so they charged you a buck a lei and you got a "free" beer!!! You could never get away with this today due to drunk driving laws. Same deal!! good end around.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 PM

4,577 posts, read 4,371,216 times
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just popped a can of soda to celebrate this great event. For once, I am with King Mike and his lords.

Believe me, part of it indeed concerns personal freedom. But, when one uses freedom in a wrong way, it should be regulated for the benefit of others. Otherwise, why do we need a government? For those who don't take it well, please refer to the path of anti-cigarettes regulation in the past. They both meant to promote our citizens health so every citizen can live and work longer, Isn't that a great cause?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City