Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 PM

3,937 posts, read 5,042,747 times

Advertisements

How about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,120,636 times
Quote:
Believe me, part of it indeed concerns personal freedom. But, when one uses freedom in a wrong way, it should be regulated for the benefit of others.
If you're deciding the right way and wrong way to use freedom, it isn't really freedom. "You're free do do what you want, as long as I approve" is NOT freedom.

Quote:
For those who don't take it well, please refer to the path of anti-cigarettes regulation in the past.
Cigarette smoke bothers everyone around. I still don't approve of banning smoking in private places (even if open to the public) but there's more justification to that than a soda ban. If I drink 32 oz of coke, YOU don't get fat.

So, have the lawsuits started yet?

Old 09-13-2012, 10:28 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,712,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Oh no! But that would make sense!! We can't have any of that.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 PM

781 posts, read 1,191,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Sure, how about world peace while we are at it...

Adults
• Almost 6 in 10 New York City residents are either overweight or obese.
• Almost 4 in 10 public school children (kindergarten through 8th grade) are overweight or obese.

The reality is 'personal responsibility' is not working.

If this can maybe one day lead to a decrease in the prevalence of obesity, let it be.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Sure, how about world peace while we are at it...

Adults
• Almost 6 in 10 New York City residents are either overweight or obese.
• Almost 4 in 10 public school children (kindergarten through 8th grade) are overweight or obese.

The reality is 'personal responsibility' is not working.

If this can maybe one day lead to a decrease in the prevalence of obesity, let it be.
I guess you missed the study that just came out that showed obese kids actually consumed less calories than normal-weight kids. So until we actually have the human metabolism figured out down to every freaking detail (we're not even close, FYI), any claim that compromises on personal freedom are for the good of society are just a dolled-up attempts at a power grab.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,957,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I don't care because it's not my problem anymore.

You can all go to Hell and I'm going to Texas.
OK, but watch out for those new privatized toll roads, Ya all. That can eat up a lot of soda money.

Toll Road Offers Fast Cash to Texas - WSJ.com

As far as obese kids, where are the parents? Are we going to send monitors home after school to make sure the parent(s) are doing the right thing? Or we could fine the parents of overweight kids. Life is about exercising personal responsibility. How much of the nanny state do we want?

How about some limits on booze, snacks, etc. No more than 1 snack per store visit sir. Put the twinkie's back, or do I have to call security.

Last edited by todd00; 09-13-2012 at 11:53 PM..

Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
OK, but watch out for those new privatized toll roads, Ya all. That can eat up a lot of soda money.

Toll Road Offers Fast Cash to Texas - WSJ.com
I'm not in an income bracket where toll fees would intrude on my soft drink budget. So when I'm going 85mph on a road trip to Austin on the toll roads I'll have a giant cherry limeade from Sonic in my cup holder.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post

As far as obese kids, where are the parents? Are we going to send monitors home after school to make sure the parent(s) are doing the right thing? Or we could fine the parents of overweight kids. Life is about exercising personal responsibility. How much of the nanny state do we want?

How about some limits on booze, snacks, etc. No more than 1 snack per store visit sir. Put the twinkie's back, or do I have to call security.
Assuming that a kid is over-weight due to over-eating (which is not always the case), that's not my problem. If parents don't parent well, that's not my problem either. It's not my place to tell them how or what to eat, they can face the consequences of their own actions. I don't feel bad about that one bit. Same goes for a chain smoker dying of lung cancer, you made your bed now sleep in it.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:33 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,152,463 times
Personally It's up to the individual to make choices in life not the government. If I wanted to buy a soda at any store in NYC then I should.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:55 AM

781 posts, read 1,191,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I guess you missed the study that just came out that showed obese kids actually consumed less calories than normal-weight kids. So until we actually have the human metabolism figured out down to every freaking detail (we're not even close, FYI), any claim that compromises on personal freedom are for the good of society are just a dolled-up attempts at a power grab.
The recent study I believe you are referring to is based upon NHANES data, and, has its own limitations related to study design and confounding factors, which in turn affect interpretability and generalizability. Further, younger obese children in the studied cohort were in fact consuming more calories than their non-obese, same-aged peers. That's also one study of thousands.

Soda is unhealthy. It has documented negative effects on health. You don't need to "have the human metabolism completely figured out" to discern. Go to PubMed, type in soda, soda intake, soda and weight...

Further, calories derived from carbs, proteins, sugars, and fats are not alike; i.e., 400 calories from salmon and spinach dinner, versus 400 calories from 1 liter of Coke. A biology text can explain in greater detail. Soda has an exorbitantly high amount of calories, all from sugar.

And, as I mentioned earlier, imho, this ban is one step in the right direction, but, of course not the ultimate cure all to address obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc. Physical activity, general lifestyle, overall diet, portion size, access to healthcare, preventative medicine, (often leading to the social determinants of health discussion), etc. all play a role. Baby steps...

Lastly, power grab for what? For who? With soda? Really? This is no more than a simple attempt to limit absolute excess, a concept that has been progressively force-fed to the American public by profit-driven fast food companies and soft drink makers over the past several decades, all looking to hook the vulnerable. The worse that could happen is that this ban actually ends up improving the long-term health for NYC residents. I'll trade in a 20 oz. soda for that any day.

For immediate release:
June 20, 2012

Chicago – The American Medical Association (AMA), the nation's largest physician group, voted today at its Annual Meeting to adopt policy addressing the obesity epidemic.

"While there is no silver bullet that will alone reverse the meteoric rise of obesity, there are many things we can do to fight this epidemic and improve the health of our nation," said AMA board member Alexander Ding, M.D. "Improved consumer education on the adverse health effects of excessive consumption of beverages containing added sweeteners should be a key part of any multifaceted campaign to combat obesity."

A number of studies have shown that intake of sugar-sweetened beverages has been strongly and consistency associated with increased body weight and a number of health conditions like type 2 diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages comprise nearly half of Americans' added sugar intake, and reducing consumption of these beverages is a simple way to reduce intake of added sugar and empty calories.

Entire article can be read here:
AMA Adopts Policy Addressing Obesity, Beverages with Added Sweeteners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City