Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,837 times

Advertisements

C-D and all other forums need to be careful. There should be a limit to the number of threads discussing this ban, because us private citizens clearly don't know any better. Government knows what's good for us, so they need to tell us the number of discussion threads we can start about any particular subject.

Watch it people, that's all I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,202 times
smh the mayor is about to make ny
stricter than the bible belt. tourists
won't want to visit afterwhile.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:04 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
C-D and all other forums need to be careful. There should be a limit to the number of threads discussing this ban, because us private citizens clearly don't know any better. Government knows what's good for us, so they need to tell us the number of discussion threads we can start about any particular subject.

Watch it people, that's all I'm saying.

Wait a min - do you hear a helicopter outside your window

Old 09-17-2012, 11:43 AM

3,516 posts, read 5,699,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Where goes gument intervention stop?
What language is this? If you are going to comment on government intervention, at least use proper grammar so we don't get more government intervention.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
It is a slippery slope indeed and we know how government shouldn't be in our business telling us what to do...who do they think they are saying 8 year olds can't buy and consume vodka? My kids are FREE to drink as much as they want since 4 years old! That's freedom from the government! The government has no right prevent my kids from being 12 and driving a truck....THATS MY CHOICE AND NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS. And they can't tell me I need a license, insurance, or any of that nonsense. FREEDOM.

Who's with me? Let's get government off our backs...and get back to being FREE. Right?

And now for those who live in reality...the reason why the government regulates the above "freedoms" is because we live in a society, and we know that as a society, we do not want 8 year olds hooked on vodka as it becomes a SOCIETAL problem. If we allowed corporations to dictate, they would be selling vodka infused similac. We know that we do not want 12 year olds driving trucks, and neither do we want people drinking and driving, or without licenses or insurance...because it becomes a SOCIETAL problem. If we let corporations dictate, there would be escalades for 5 year olds. See the difference between "freedom" and "You can't tell me what to do" and a societal problem? What you do affects others....and until you are truly free and your choices don't affect others, then we can talk about all those "freedoms."

Bloomberg is doing the right thing, as the giant sodas are not only unncessary, they are part of a bigger SOCIETAL problem which TAXPAYERS are stuck paying for (that's you and me!). So you can allow corporations to run the show, dictate portions based on their profits, OR you can have government dictate portions based on the $$$$ (financial and health) to our society. Unfortunately as a SOCIETY we cannot choose for ourselves in any reasonable way (although you personally may), so government must step in.

What's the problem here? Buy 15 12 ounce sodas and shut up...and those who are unable to make the better choices have an easier way to choose better. THE END.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:03 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Given the absurdity of this ban, it doesn't take a slippery slope argument as this one has set the bar extremely low.

A slippery slope argument would be that they will eventually ban drinking fluids of any kind.

A realistic argument is that if they are going to regulate the portion sizes of an item they find to be unhealthy that they may next apply it to sweets, potato chips, alchohol and so forth. That is not a slippery slope argument but rather one of parallels.

In short, you're position is that you are ok with the city having the right to restrict your food consumption, portion sizes, food content etc. as they deem fit with regards to your health.

Oh well, that's your tax dollars at work. Remember that next time you get a bill.
You can buy two sodas. Check the math 2x.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
The city has yet to restrict any food consumption. But yes I am ok with the city regulating the food content..unless of course you want bleach, rat poison, or any other garbage in your food so the companies can save a buck? If it says chicken..I kinda want it to be chicken and not pidgeon = government regulations.

I kinda want to know that when I get a on a plane that the pilot is certified, the plane is safe, and I have a very good chance of arriving alive and safe = government regulations.

So yeah...I am ok with government regulating lots of things including our food....if you don't agree...please move to India, Afghanistan, etc...and enjoy all the freedom from government rules and regulations. I hear its great!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:21 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You can buy two sodas. Check the math 2x.
One would have hoped you'd have noticed we are addressing the other items NY has banned besides just soda.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The city has yet to restrict any food consumption.
Transfats.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Buy 15 12 ounce sodas and shut up...
That's a fascinating response to people complaining about the government passing laws that affects their choices with regards to their bodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City