Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times

Advertisements

So while I was taking the subway home the other day, I noticed something that boggled my mind.

A guy with a guitar came onto the train and then after it started moving he started playing. The guitar was extremely out of tune and needed to be restrung if it ever wanted to get back in tune. He was Hispanic looking so I'm assuming he was singing in Spanish.

When he was singing and playing guitar it sounded really bad(from a musical standpoint. Not a what he was playing and singing wasn't my cup of tea way). And then I looked over and I saw people with a completely disgusted face reaching into their pocket to give the guy money like they were being forced to. One of the people that gave him money was wearing a suit coat that was falling apart, so I know he wasn't financially well off to just be giving money away.

So my question is, why do you give people money that you don't want to to?

I can see giving money to someone or a group of people that performed something that you really enjoyed, but when you don't enjoy it... why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 07:32 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Maybe they figure that if they give him some money he'll go away. If this is the case then someone could play the bagpipes on the subway and make a fortune.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ lol yeah to get him to shut up.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:57 AM

that could be true, but they waited until he was done to give him money!!

I'm going to go get some bagpipes

Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 AM

6 posts, read 9,448 times
Bum came in subway yesterday. Said he was vietnam Marine vet. Asked for money. Then sang the Marine Corp Hymn

I dont give money to people in the subway

I gave him a donation

Semper Fi

Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 AM

393 posts, read 782,947 times
I very rarely give money to people because 1. I'm not rich and need all of my money to take care of housing and food 2. I rarely carry cash and 3. If I gave money to everyone who asked, I'd be broke in a day.

I know we are talking about the subway, but the other day I went to the drug store and literally like 8 people asked me for money within a 5 block radius. If I gave them all a dollar, I'd be out 8 dollars, and I'm certainly not going to carry a pouch with quarters in it to dole them out to strangers on every block. One guy actually followed me aggressively saying "what not even a dollar? Ugh not even a dollar??" That really pissed me off. You could just hear hatred and disgust in his voice. Like I have millions to spare and am being stingy over a dollar. Give me a break, I don't have any extra money either.

The numbers of people who are asking for money on the street and on the subway has definitely gone up, at least in my experience. I don't blame them for being in the situation they are in and understand that life really sucks sometimes, but I seriously can't afford to give my money out either. In NY, everyone but the super rich is on a tight budget. It's very annoying and it makes me uncomfortable (in circumstances where they are aggressive).

Old 09-14-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
I very rarely give money to people because 1. I'm not rich and need all of my money to take care of housing and food 2. I rarely carry cash and 3. If I gave money to everyone who asked, I'd be broke in a day.

I know we are talking about the subway, but the other day I went to the drug store and literally like 8 people asked me for money within a 5 block radius. If I gave them all a dollar, I'd be out 8 dollars, and I'm certainly not going to carry a pouch with quarters in it to dole them out to strangers on every block. One guy actually followed me aggressively saying "what not even a dollar? Ugh not even a dollar??" That really pissed me off. You could just hear hatred and disgust in his voice. Like I have millions to spare and am being stingy over a dollar. Give me a break, I don't have any extra money either.

The numbers of people who are asking for money on the street and on the subway has definitely gone up, at least in my experience. I don't blame them for being in the situation they are in and understand that life really sucks sometimes, but I seriously can't afford to give my money out either. In NY, everyone but the super rich is on a tight budget. It's very annoying and it makes me uncomfortable (in circumstances where they are aggressive).
also, I really think that the people that just sit there asking you for change should really get a talent. I'm much more inclined to give someone a dollar if they provided me entertainment than just asking for money and me giving it to them. I have to pass by the same guy every single day to and from work and all he says is "cchhaannggeeee" and thats it. If you have all the free time this guy has, why not go learn how to do something that will earn you more money. The common response to that is that he won't be able to buy an instrument or anything to learn a talent with. Well it still takes money to make money!

I had an acquaintance from school that was homeless for a while. He learned how to play 2 different instruments and made more money by "performing" than he did at his previous job he lost. andddd this was in DETROIT! also, he in total paid 50 dollars for both of the instruments

Last edited by skinnayyy; 09-14-2012 at 02:02 PM..

Old 09-14-2012, 01:49 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Dont ever give money to anyone on a train..it only encourages them to keep begging for money, and encourages others to do the same. If nobody gave money, nobody would be begging on the trains and we can all have a nice, peaceful ride after a long day of work.

We are taxed highly to provide a plethora of social services to people who cannot support themselves, so there is no reason for anyone to beg on a train. Period. Don't do it!

Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM

175 posts, read 353,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
So while I was taking the subway home the other day, I noticed something that boggled my mind.

A guy with a guitar came onto the train and then after it started moving he started playing. The guitar was extremely out of tune and needed to be restrung if it ever wanted to get back in tune. He was Hispanic looking so I'm assuming he was singing in Spanish.

When he was singing and playing guitar it sounded really bad(from a musical standpoint. Not a what he was playing and singing wasn't my cup of tea way). And then I looked over and I saw people with a completely disgusted face reaching into their pocket to give the guy money like they were being forced to. One of the people that gave him money was wearing a suit coat that was falling apart, so I know he wasn't financially well off to just be giving money away.

So my question is, why do you give people money that you don't want to to?
You don't owe anyone anything, so you don't give him anything. Moderator cut: Inappropriate language

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-15-2012 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language - if the filter blocks a word, don't get around it with **

Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times
When people look all crippled up such that they couldn't get a job, I'll sometimes shake loose some money for them. Apparently able bodied folk who just prefer to beg all day, I don't even consider it.

Almost always, I'd prefer silence to music, so I don't give. One exception: that guy who does an a cappella version of "Under The Boardwalk" tapping with his cane in time. He's really good! I give him a buck, if I have it to spare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City