Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:54 PM

142 posts, read 316,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL7 View Post
Hello,

My name is Mike and have recently been accepted to Baruch College for the spring semester. I am from a small town in Rhode Island surrounded by rural life and I hate it. I have always felt out of place here and like I don't belong. A dream of mine like many others has been to live in New York. I have only visited twice, but I have been to so many other places in the world, yet I always seem to think about New York. A few questions: Is 19 too young to be living on my own in the city? I am blessed and will have a budget of around 1500.00 a month for rent from my parents, with this budget where can I live safely? (130 pound white male). How hard is it for someone under 21 to make friends in the city? The reputation of New Yorkers is cold and that they don't open up easily. What is the reputation of Baruch in the city? (Accounting major) Lastly, should I just finish up one more semester at my community college and apply to a lot of different schools or should I just bite the bullet, take a risk, and go to New York and finally move on with my life?
its not that hard to find friends in nyc. im from the bronx and its primarily easy to make friendships. Baruch is a nice college .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 06:01 AM

9 posts, read 14,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Congratulations. It might be that 19 is too young "on your own" but going to school isn't the same thing as being on your own. Presumably you'll make friends through your school, like everyone else, and likely you can find a living situation through the school, too, with roommates. You don't have to worry about the reputations of New Yorkers, because your focus will be on your studies and your fellow-students.

What worries me is your asking about Baruch's reputation. That's something you should have looked up on your own before you applied.
I have and have heard nothing but great things, especially for the accounting department. I just wanted some opinions from NY residents who work in the industry.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Gee I thoguth that Student Housing Building on Third was a for-profit for students from various schools rather than just Baruch? Oh well, not important.

Anyhoo, you are on Third Avenue at 97th and also across the street from a RELATED lucxury tower. And the Student Housing is a nice shiny new tower.

The subwway is around the block at 96th and Lex, the crosstown bus will pick you up at 96th and Third and pop you over to the West Side, and the three uptown Third Avenue buses stop right at your corner. Convenience galore.

It is as safe as safe gets at any time of the day or night.

You will get sick of that daily back and forth to school on the #6 subway though...buy an unlimited Metrocard for $104/month that will get you EVERYTHERE. Doesn't Baruch have student housing in that converted immense old Hotel right adjacent to the school?

Mike, there isn't a better place in the United States that you could be at 19 than Manhattan.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Gee I thoguth that Student Housing Building on Third was a for-profit for students from various schools rather than just Baruch? Oh well, not important.

Anyhoo, you are on Third Avenue at 97th and also across the street from a RELATED lucxury tower. And the Student Housing is a nice shiny new tower.

The subwway is around the block at 96th and Lex, the crosstown bus will pick you up at 96th and Third and pop you over to the West Side, and the three uptown Third Avenue buses stop right at your corner. Convenience galore.

It is as safe as safe gets at any time of the day or night.

You will get sick of that daily back and forth to school on the #6 subway though...buy an unlimited Metrocard for $104/month that will get you EVERYTHERE. Doesn't Baruch have student housing in that converted immense old Hotel right adjacent to the school?

Mike, there isn't a better place in the United States that you could be at 19 than Manhattan.
Yes, you are correct. Many other schools do have dorms at the EHS building. Baruch has an agreement with EHS and has a few floors of strictly Baruch students. That is as far as Baruch's "on-campus" options go, since it is primarily a commuter school. 90 percent of students are in-state.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
There are housing projects in the vicinity as well (Washington Houses), but they are not dangerous. However, no matter how stable the NYCHA, it's an unwritten rule that if one has no business in the community, one needs to stay out of the projects, not using the pathways as a shortcut, etc., especially at night.

There's no problem at 97th & 3rd, but as you go north, the neighborhood does transition from the UES, where the official boundary is 96th Street. If you are toward the west, over by Mount Sinai, the neighborhood is part of the Carnegie Hill Historic District, so the 5th Avenue area tends to be a bit more stable higher into East Harlem than some areas to the east, but you would be into the 100s before you would notice a large change from the UES.

At least initially, it would be easier to use student housing, both to make friends, and so that you would not have added hassles of using a guarantor for a traditional rental.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Hello,

My name is Mike and have recently been accepted to Baruch College for the spring semester. I am from a small town in Rhode Island surrounded by rural life and I hate it. I have always felt out of place here and like I don't belong. A dream of mine like many others has been to live in New York. I have only visited twice, but I have been to so many other places in the world, yet I always seem to think about New York. A few questions: Is 19 too young to be living on my own in the city? I am blessed and will have a budget of around 1500.00 a month for rent from my parents, with this budget where can I live safely? (130 pound white male). How hard is it for someone under 21 to make friends in the city? The reputation of New Yorkers is cold and that they don't open up easily. What is the reputation of Baruch in the city? (Accounting major) Lastly, should I just finish up one more semester at my community college and apply to a lot of different schools or should I just bite the bullet, take a risk, and go to New York and finally move on with my life?
You have a desire, And support from your parents to live in a city of your choosing. New York will provide great experience for life as well in my opinion. Go for it! Count yourself lucky indeed as many do not have this type of support and while they embark on it any way (With much props to them as well.)

Old 09-17-2012, 01:43 PM

Other then living in New York for a year, are there any other requirements for becoming a permanent resident? If i'm not independent will that make a difference?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:13 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,726 times
You mean "biggest decision -- SO FAR". You are young. You will make many more important decisions in life.

Quote:
Hello,

Old 09-17-2012, 11:44 PM

10 posts, read 15,333 times
Get the hell outta your town kid. I weigh 130 and I have been here 23 years. often surviving on less that 1500 per month.
maybe thats why i still weigh 130?

I moved out when I was 17 never looked back, leaving it made me like where I come from better, took 20 yrs...

Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
You can find a nice place in Queens for $1500.
Um...he can find a studio in Manhattan as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: