Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 05:51 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Just so people know, in the Queens welfare office, many of the people applying are foreigners. Whether they are legal or not, I can't tell you, but many aren't American.
Then why do they qualify for the money others worked for? We have a lot of Mexicans where I live now. I don't know or care if they're legal either. They come and take any jobs they can find. They don't head for the welfare offices. When the jobs dried up, they went back home, not to welfare offices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I concur with your entire post. I only called out the highlighted because NO SINGLE MOTHER in the US is getting anywhere near $800 in cash for anything. Depending on how many kids, she "might" get $300 to $400, but don't quote me. I don't have exact figures.
Then she's getting rent subsidies. No one can pay NYC rents on $300 to $400 a month. Who is paying her rent and utilities?

Quote:
Single people w/no kids get significantly less (maybe $150). All this cash is supposed to last a "month". This is why people "sell" their foodstamps to get vital essentials.
Where are these people living when rents in NYC start at $1000 to $1200 a month? Do you realize how many people have moved out of NYC because of the cost of living there?

Quote:
Everything I know about welfare is from friends who work in the offices. It's very, very difficult work. They also don't give "emergency" food stamps in NYC like they do in California. The most you'll get is a one-way metro card back home. That's it.
Has anyone fought for low-income housing and mandatory job training for these people?

Quote:
Yeah and make sure her picture is BLACK. It doesn't work when it's Jessie Sue, Sophia, Ming or Indira. These faces are more "acceptable".
That sounds racist to me and you sound like a very bitter person. Blacks can be as successful as any other race, all it takes it the will to succeed.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Then why do they qualify for the money others worked for? We have a lot of Mexicans where I live now. I don't know or care if they're legal either. They come and take any jobs they can find. They don't head for the welfare offices. When the jobs dried up, they went back home, not to welfare offices.
I agree! Mexicans are hard working, humble people. They don't resort to that ghetto behavior we are accustom to seeing from NYers in inner city aka "Da Hood". You know exactly the type I'm talking about, 5-6 kids by different "baby daddies", cursing up a storm in front of her kids, smoking Newport cigarettes...think the movie "Precious". I'd rather see my hard earned tax dollars go to hard working Mexicans who are illegal than to see it go to inner city ghetto people that create a nuisance. By giving ghetto people handouts, you are enabling their ghetto lifestyle and giving them a reason to stick around in NY.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Then she's getting rent subsidies. No one can pay NYC rents on $300 to $400 a month. Who is paying her rent and utilities?
They're either in the shelter system or on Section 8.

Quote:
Where are these people living when rents in NYC start at $1000 to $1200 a month? Do you realize how many people have moved out of NYC because of the cost of living there?
The shelter system, the projects or any place where the landlord will accept Section 8 vouchers to pay their rent. They also have something called "working section 8".

Quote:
Has anyone fought for low-income housing and mandatory job training for these people?
The Coalition for the Homeless and other homeless advocacy groups have. There are already requirements in place for them to get some sort of "training" in something. Whether or not it's actually happening I can't tell you, because most of them are forced to work for the parks department to clean the trash a few hours a week. If they don't then their benefits get discontinued.

Quote:
That sounds racist to me and you sound like a very bitter person. Blacks can be as successful as any other race, all it takes it the will to succeed.
I'm black. I was being sarcastic.

Last edited by marilyn220; 09-18-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
The point is there SHOULD be these strict restrictions on WELFARE receiptants. Drug testing, work requirements, etc. Why not? Afterall you're getting FREE MONEY on behalf of the working individuals who pay taxes. Damn skippy I want to see Welfare receiptants EARN the privilege they deserve this free money and prove to me that they are doing everything in their power to improve their lives to get off the system as oppose to doing everything possible to stay on the system by declining jobs that would put them slightly over the threshold income requirement.
You've said it all. I believe most people will agree with you.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Please stop acting like your $5 contribution to the welfare budget (which is 2%) is actually doing something for anyone.
Well then if it's not doing anything, why take it in the first place?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I dont know if you know this but food stamps isnt welfare in the sense that WIC is. To qualify one must merely have low income and a poster already showed you the stats.

Now if some abuse it (selling stamps, and PIN) then dump them.
Agreed and I have nothing against Food Stamps. It's Welfare I'm against. It kills motivation and the need to make something of ones self. It encourages single women to have children they can't afford to raise and so turn to society to support them.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
You must not be aware of the fact that many poor people on assistance are NOT receiving cash. It really is like pulling teeth to get.

So, AGAIN, if they have no MONEY and since they can't "sell" their foostamps to get that "cheap" outfit, then what?
Not receiving cash? How are they paying their rent and their utilities? How are they buying any clothes at all? Where are they living?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I agree! Mexicans are hard working, humble people. They don't resort to that ghetto behavior we are accustom to seeing from NYers in inner city aka "Da Hood". You know exactly the type I'm talking about, 5-6 kids by different "baby daddies", cursing up a storm in front of her kids, smoking Newport cigarettes...think the movie "Precious". I'd rather see my hard earned tax dollars go to hard working Mexicans who are illegal than to see it go to inner city ghetto people that create a nuisance. By giving ghetto people handouts, you are enabling their ghetto lifestyle and giving them a reason to stick around in NY.
I agree with you 100%. And yes, I do know about the ghetto people and their attitudes and how they live. I saw more than enough of that lifestyle on my way to work and back each day in NYC. I agree Welfare and other handouts just encourages their lifestyle to continue. I believe Welfare caused this mentality to start with. Too much time on their hands among other things. And the men... they have no feeling of responsibility towards their own children. They sire their young like animals and walk off to let society support them. Like a tomcat, breed and take off. I remember one young man on a show like 20/20 (one of those expose shows) bragging how he fathered his fist child at 16. He had no idea how many children he had nor did he care. He never held a job. Where are their morals? Their sense of responsibility? Their love and concern for their own children? It's galling and these women never learn they're being used. They just don't "get it." These worthless men live off them like parasites until another hoochie momma comes along that strikes their fancy. The woman then takes up with another total loser, has another child..... repeat, repeat, repeat. Where does it end? Why doesn't the states force the men (can they even find these human weeds?) to support these children even if they have to do menial jobs for the city like sweep the streets or paint the city hospitals. Keep the parks clean and paint over graffiti.

Eventually the poor and lower middle class will be forced to move out of NYC to places like Camden and Newark NJ were rents are cheaper. There really is no place left in NYC for the low-income and welfare people other than the ghettos.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
They're either in the shelter system or on Section 8.
And isn't that from taxes people pay? Add that to their $300 to $400 a month for each recipient.

Quote:
The shelter system, the projects or any place where the landlord will accept Section 8 vouchers to pay their rent. They also have something called "working section 8".
It's my understanding taxes are used to cover the shelter systems and section 8 housing for the working poor.

Quote:
The Coalition for the Homeless and other homeless advocacy groups have. There are already requirements in place for them to get some sort of "training" in something. Whether or not it's actually happening I can't tell you, because most of them are forced to work for the parks department to clean the trash a few hours a week. If they don't then their benefits get discontinued.
That kind of work wont teach them much in the way of getting well paid employment. It's a shame. The blacks I went to school with in Queens, those who came from families with fathers and who lived in houses, did not become failures. Two brothers from my neighborhood made the Armed Services their career and their sister went to college somewhere in CN. My black friend Pat from the old SIA (I think it's now called the School of Art and Design) in Manhattan went on to college and the last I heard she was doing great as some kind of graphic artist. Getting pregnant, drugged up and looking for a handout was not in their life plans.

My grandson's mother left the ghetto and poverty behind, went to one of the city colleges and recently bought herself a condo in Chelsea. I'm not sure where she's working now. Her one brother is a psychotherapist in the Bronx. He also pulled himself up by his bootstraps from being raised on Welfare. Another brother fell for the "no one hires blacks, oh poor poor me" mentality and ODed on drugs. Such a waste of a young life. For him it was easier to take the drug route than claw his way uphill. My grandson will go to college and make something of himself. My son is white, as am I.

Quote:
I'm black. I was being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City