Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i just don't like feeling like a loser for spending cash when I'm in the same
line behind 20 people on food stamps. they should have their own line, plus
stores usually don't have enough personnel in hoods where everyone is
on assistance, because they don't make enough money to hire more people.
And sometimes they see cash and ask for some. I HATE that s**t!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
^ lols..

Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
A guy who commits a crime at 19, an age at which neuroscience has shown conseqeunces are still not accurately matched to perceived gain and risk, is stuck with that felony forever nowadays, with the preservation of information. Its had to reinvent yourself, its not 80 yrs ago where nobody knew anything about anyone apart from handrwritten references and patchy police records.

I know I made some pretty crummy decisions when I was young, as well as some good ones that helped get me where I am today, but things can easily go badly wrong, especially when your parents (or parent) is a loser or your in with a crowd of peers and you haven't got the wherewithal to recognize your peers are going the wrong way.

I hate deceit and cheating as much as the next guy, but its still apparent that most of those on the assistance, which is pitiful anyway, need it. Cracking down on the duplicitous is great, I fully support it, but no need to hate someone because they screwed up their lives.

Last edited by bg7; 09-17-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
and what about the ones that dont even speak english...

Old 09-17-2012, 11:53 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
What else would you call it?
What do you call the BILLIONS of dollars that went to rescue millionaires on Wall Street and beyond?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
A slave who makes more money than the lower slave who makes next to none- Likes to whip the lower slave hoping to be granted favor by the master...Those who bash people on welfare..are not going to be rewarded for their cruelty- Even if all the welfare low life disappeared tomorrow...Those who hate them would not benefit a dime...nor would their lives improve- The saved tax dollars would go to the rich and you would be in the same boat...hating the pitiful is not going to solve anything.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
the people who need it, need it. the people who don't are just
abusing the system and creating inflation and debt for uncle sam,
so we should make them say uncle instead.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's good that rules and regulations are going to be enforced. (Someone somewhere in the city bureaucracy apparently woke up and realized that--surprise!--if you don't enforce the law, you haven't got a law). Hopefully, there won't be loopholes that welfare cheats can slip through.
What's your definition of a "welfare cheat"?

And please don't make up some republican nonsense either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Aww poor babies. They committed crimes now want to sap us of money to get their drink on? Riiiight. There wasn't entitlement programs when people came off the boat in NYC, they lived through slums and the depression. Guess what, they did what they had to do.
You're comparing Ellis Island immigrants to post-technology america where NO ONE can escape a background check of any sort? Okay.

Quote:
We as a country have it FAR too easy. If you have a TV and Cable along with a Cell phone and a Xbox, you ARENT STRUGGLING.
If you're on assistance, the government now gives you free cell phones. Most poor people in this country do not have xboxes, cable or even a television.

You really are in the dark ages when it comes real suffering in this city, aren't you?

Quote:
Sell everything, live in a tiny crappy apartment and strive each day to provide something this country wants. Don't give a laundry list of excuses why life sucks. Go make it better and learn to buck up!
It must be great up in that Ivory Tower, huh?

You have absolutely no freaking clue. Sad.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Close enough, believe me. Seen many related things. The store i go to is the size of a habitrail. They should not commit crimes then if they want to avoid felonies. The hand that does that is their own.
Great scholarly advice. You must have graduated top ten in your class.

The REALITY is that NO ONE will hire them for ANYTHING.

So what is your suggestion for them? Not get any type of aid whatsoever and just fall into the river or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i just don't like feeling like a loser for spending cash when I'm in the same
line behind 20 people on food stamps.
they should have their own line, plus
stores usually don't have enough personnel in hoods where everyone is
on assistance, because they don't make enough money to hire more people.
How do you know the 20 people in front of you are on food stamps?

Maybe you feel like a "loser", because that's just the way you feel about yourself.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
And sometimes they see cash and ask for some. I HATE that s**t!
What's wrong with saying a simple "No." and keeping it movin'?

Are you afraid they might take it from you or beat you down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City