Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 03:12 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times

Advertisements

The city has public gyms all over the place which are pretty cheap, and many have indoor pools, as well as weights, cardio machines, stretching areas, etc. Basic annual membership is $150 per year, and you can get six moth ones for less than that. The price is also lower if you want a rec center w/o a pool. And while I haven't been in every one, the ones I have seen weren't rundown and crappy -- like I expected. Nothing fancy, either. Just basic. Unlike a lot of private gyms, however, they do close a bit early, like about 9 or 10 IIRC.

But watch out. Somebody might actually try and talk to you!

See here for locations and other details.

Recreation Centers : NYC Parks

Another cheap gym option is are two state parks that have full gym facilities, one uptown, the other in the Bronx. I know especially Riverbank is pretty nice. I've never checked out the one in th Bronx, however.

Riverbank State Park Amenities & Activities- NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Roberto Clemente State Park Fees & Rates - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorblindNeophyte View Post
I'm overweight and lacking in muscle. I want a gym that is relatively cheap and has weights/barbells/squat rack/treadmills/ellipticals/cycles, etc. I don't need things like classes and whatnot. Just want to show up, work out, peace out.

Right now looking into NYSC, 24-Hour Fitness, Ludlow Fitness, and Midcity Gym. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg since I'm not looking for anything fancy, but not run-down and crowded, either.

I'm also someone with a bit of a social anxiety and don't want to go to a gym where someone's going to try to make friends with me/comment on my form/try to talk to me/whatever. I just want to work out.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Have you tried [url=http://www.gymsnoop.com/]gymsnoop.com[/url]? Has prices for just about every gym in the city. It's showing $47/mo for YMCA but I'm not sure how crowded they get.

It's up to you - I did see that NYSC has a deal going on right now (half price for a passport: [url=http://www.gymsnoop.com/classified/30-day-passport-membership-for-24-52.html]30-Day Passport Membership for $24 (51% Savings)[/url] )

I think you should be ok at most fitness centers - it's when you go to the smaller shops, people will probably try to help you with your form, etc. Good luck!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:32 PM

446 posts, read 997,508 times
Try Synergy. They are all individually owned, so different rates, but month to month, 24 hours and relatively cheap. Also pretty empty (at least at 22nd).

Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 PM

59 posts, read 155,417 times
I'm an NYSC member. I've never been bugged to train or join classes, and am always left alone. I haven't seen any locker room hi-jinks either.

I guess it would depend on your lifestyle. Do you live in one spot and work in another (as I do)? Then joining a chain will help keep you going. If you live and work in one neighbourhood, then joining the local club might work.

The key is finding ways to stick with it. Lots of people join gyms, get bored with the routine and stop going. If you want to reach your fitness goals, it pays to think through how to keep yourself motivated. Convenience is one key factor. Best of luck.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 AM

387 posts, read 680,436 times
Planet fitness is right up your alley. It's $10 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City