Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times

Advertisements

I still have some tokens.

I remember telephone exchanges and besides the Glen Miller song, it was imortalized in the movie, Butterfield 8.

I remember trading stamps.

Before there were double letters used for the subway, Chava, each line had it's own name according to its destination such as The New Lots Line or the Carnarsie Line. I still use the terms, IND, IRT, BMT.

When the transit museum first opened, I was surprised to see those cars from the 1930s with the straw seats, with the overhead single lightbulbs and the ceiling fans as they were still very much in use at the time for the trains to Rockaway. And I remember the double fare too.

Bonwit Teller, Kleins, Martins, Gertz, Gimbels, Mays, Alexanders, Korvettes, Speedway, Bohack, Grand Union, Big Apple, McCory's all stores long gone. I used to go to the Lamstons on 6th and 56th quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Click Clacks went off the market because they could shatter. They came out around the same time as Footsies.

Miss Mary Mack was too tame in my neighborhood. We went for the more risque Miss Lucy had a baby.

Yes, I remember Jerry and Knucklehead, and Sandy Becker. I miss the TV hosts for the kids' shows, like Officer Joe Bolton, Ray Heatherton, and Captain Jack McCarthy.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I still have some tokens.

Before there were double letters used for the subway, Chava, each line had it's own name according to its destination such as The New Lots Line or the Carnarsie Line. I still use the terms, IND, IRT, BMT.
My father who was born and grew up in the Bronx but no longer lives in NYC, when he visits NYC he refers to the subway lines as being either IND, IRT or BMT.

As for subway tokens they were still be used not that long ago. So I would think most adults remember having seen them at least when they were a child.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
rellort- Melanie, sang about her brand new pair of roller skates.

Miss Lucy, OMG, yes, I remember that too.

Miss Lucy had a baby, her name was tiny tim, was it something like that???

Footsie !!! OMG, I had one of those also, I forgot about that, yeah !!!

Subway lines in Brooklyn are also know as,

West End- D (formerly B)
Sea beach - N
Culver - F
4th Ave - R ( formerly RR)

I got my first bicycle in "Korvettes",

Bohacks, yes, we used to get the cans of soda there, the Bohack brand.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:30 AM

115 posts, read 190,530 times
Riding my bicycle with a banana seat with sissy bars .

Old 09-27-2012, 12:07 PM

75 posts, read 120,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironkid1 View Post
this topic right here, will only be answered by true nyers! notice how so many people already responded lol. Makes me wonder, CD is transplants trying to tell other transplants how to live a city life lol.

But this thread def takes me back and makes me realize my age lol
Do you remember when there was an L train that ran all the way down myrtle avenue in Brooklyn to Jay Street in downtown Brooklyn?

Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellort View Post
Riding my bicycle with a banana seat with sissy bars .

Guilty here also with the banana seat, actually they were comfortable than the little tiny seats they give us men now a days.

I had the tassels hanging from the handle bars, they were purple and silver, I remember 4 of us kids on the block had the same bike. Korvettes must have been running a sale that week. LOL

Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
If you were to dial a phone number listed as CIRCLE7- 6088
you would use CI the first 2 letters in the word as the first 2 numbers hence CI = 24
C=2 and I = 4....so the number would be 247-6088

and yes: I do remember the word "gutter"

Get out of the gutter, you will get your new dungarees all dirty.

Your mouth is a filthy as the gutter.

Don't play in the gutter, you will get hit by a car.
How about when all phone numbers area codes inthe New York boroughts were 212.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:12 PM

When you either had Pro Keds or Converse sneakers? That was it!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 PM

Does anyone remember a game called "Wink", back in the 70's? We used to cut class and the guys and girls would go play it in Central Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City