Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times

Advertisements

Who would want to have a large group of destitute anyone moving into a solidly middle class nabe, regardless of religion/color? Not me! The community is fine as it is, and when you throw out a deal like this in a place like NYC, it could cause problems if a flood of poor Jews decide to swarm the area, Russian Jews in particular, which account for alot of the poor Jews in NYC.

Wanna see some fun? Airlift them to Pelham Parkway and give them section 8 vouchers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
The destitute Jews have a strong support system that is funded by tithes from the wealthy among them. Young parents get subsidized daycare, teens and tweens get after school and religious education and families short on cash get money to buy food. This 40% deal actually proves it - no need for public housing.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:36 PM

What do you mean no need for public housing? NYC Jews filled public housing prior to people of color pushing them out. They then dominated Co-op city, also a subsidized development, until people of color took that over also. NYC Jews are a prime driver for social services throughout NYC, and have benefited handsomely from it.

This deal will assist alot of the poor Jews, and its the only Jews I see taking this deal. Not sure why flooding an area with poor Jews is a good thing for Pelham Parkway...I get that they have a stronger support system, and the goal is to increase membership in the synagogue.

As a middle class homeowner, how would you feel about the synagogue bringing in a flood of poor Jews, subsidizing their rent, to your community? I wouldn't love it, not because they are Jews, but because I moved to a solid middle class community and invested..so I kinda want it to stay that way. What happens when the subsidy ends in 3 years?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
That's the risk. Most likely they will be consuming social services out of the pockets of local taxpayers. If you think about it, it's almost like bringing a homeless shelter into the nabe.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 PM

That's my only gripe. And by the way, I would be equally annoyed if I lived in Pelham Parkway and this deal was offered to any group, not just Jews. The only people I see taking this deal are the poor, and honestly people live in Pelham Parkway because it is solidly middle class, and one of a shrinking number of decent, middle class communities.

Bringing in the poor to save the synagogue is in nobody's best interest, including the synagogue in my opinion.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:55 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
Who says this would attract only Russians and/or Hasidim? Plenty of young, educated, liberal Jews in this town who might be interested.

That matzoh ball soup comment was obnoxious.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:09 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Why are folks automatically assuming this will [only] attract the poor folks? To me it sounds like a pitch to bring in some working and middle class Jews who are religiously committed and interested in home ownership. You can buy a one bedroom co-op in the area for around $120K- and the $40K is well over 30% down. The rental option only gives you money for up to 3 years. The push is clearly to bring in people who plan to establish long term roots and can afford a mortgage and pass co-op interview. Also keep in mind that the pre-qualifier is to first live in the community for 3 years and be active in the temple so wouldn't that mean that they would have to move there and be able to rent on their own before getting the money? That doesn't sound like a plan to attract derelicts.

Side bar--> one of the guys in the pictures in the synagog (the guy with the sunglasses on, he's blind) was the president of my co-op board when I lived in the area.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:32 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
What do you mean no need for public housing? NYC Jews filled public housing prior to people of color pushing them out. They then dominated Co-op city, also a subsidized development, until people of color took that over also. NYC Jews are a prime driver for social services throughout NYC, and have benefited handsomely from it.

This deal will assist alot of the poor Jews, and its the only Jews I see taking this deal. Not sure why flooding an area with poor Jews is a good thing for Pelham Parkway...I get that they have a stronger support system, and the goal is to increase membership in the synagogue.

As a middle class homeowner, how would you feel about the synagogue bringing in a flood of poor Jews, subsidizing their rent, to your community? I wouldn't love it, not because they are Jews, but because I moved to a solid middle class community and invested..so I kinda want it to stay that way. What happens when the subsidy ends in 3 years?
Wow,I can see you are off on another of your nonsensical tangents.You are the only person that I know of so far who seems to think this is somehow designed or destined to attract the destitute.There was a piece in the Times about this the other day with a picture of one of the people who has taken the synagogue up on it's offer.She is a nurse and moved to The Bronx( with her family) from Chicago . Hardly destitute.There is a teacher in my school who currently lives in Nyack,who was looking to move to The Bronx to be closer to work who told me today that he is definitely going to approach them.Lucky for him,he is a nice Jewish boy.

Houses in the neighborhood sell in the 400,000 to 600,000 range so it would be really kind of impossible for anyone destitute to take advantage of the $40,000 offer.At most it would provide a portion of a downpayment for someone who is able to carry at least a 400,000 mortgage.Again,hardly destitute.

I think this will appeal to a lot of middle class folks who are already thinking of moving to NYC or to The Bronx anyway.It just might convince them to move to Pelham Parkway instead of some other neighborhood.

Believe me,the screening committee for this initiative will not be handing out their money to the destitute.The goal is to add people who will make a positive contribution to the community,not to bring the destitute into the community.

I don't know where you get your crazy ideas sometimes.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:39 PM

Well I can be obnoxious...it's the holidays..it brings out the best in me. If they are subsiding your rent at a maximum per year of $7,300 for just 3 years, which is about $600 per month, who is really taking that deal and moving to Pelham Parkway? The middle class Jews? Nope. The poor? Heck yeah..if I were poor I would move to Pelham Parkway for $600 month rent subsidy in a heart beat. That amounts to more than 50% of your rent for a 1 bedroom apt ($1,100 rent).

Sure it's possible some middle class Jews will buy into the nabe and get the $40K, but I still find that to be highly unlikely. If you are enticing people to afford a mortgage and pass a co-op interview, why offer a $600 month rent subsidy????? The prequalifier is not to first live in the community..the prequalifier is to MOVE to the community, and with a guaranteed stipend for 3 years @ $600 a month, the Jews in poverty should be jumping at this deal, nevermind that the community is great anyway.

Older Jews on limited fixed incomes (poor) will be most attracted to the $600 a month rent subsidy. I would be. Someone who is middle class is not moving to Pelham Parkway for $600 rent subsidy, but it is possible they will move for $40K to buy a place...I dunno.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:40 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Why are folks automatically assuming this will [only] attract the poor folks? To me it sounds like a pitch to bring in some working and middle class Jews who are religiously committed and interested in home ownership. You can buy a one bedroom co-op in the area for around $120K- and the $40K is well over 30% down. The rental option only gives you money for up to 3 years. The push is clearly to bring in people who plan to establish long term roots and can afford a mortgage and pass co-op interview. Also keep in mind that the pre-qualifier is to first live in the community for 3 years and be active in the temple so wouldn't that mean that they would have to move there and be able to rent on their own before getting the money? That doesn't sound like a plan to attract derelicts.

Side bar--> one of the guys in the pictures in the synagog (the guy with the sunglasses on, he's blind) was the president of my co-op board when I lived in the area.
As far as I can tell,Sobroguy just cooked up the poor and destitute thing on his own.Anyone who lives or has lived in the neighborhood and who knows the Jewish community here knows that the idea of them just handing out huge sums of money to welfare cases is ridiculous.That's not what this program is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City