Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 12:41 PM

293 posts, read 886,229 times

Advertisements

Ugh, my lawyer really screwed up on this one... this should have been handled before the close.

I just recently bought a co-op and the rules state that I have to have an electrical check within 90 days of occupancy. Silly me, I was thinking this was going to be like a home inspection, pretty minor. Not really understanding what they were looking for, I went ahead and had the whole place painted, moved in and la di da, finally got around to bringing in an electrician to get it done (along with a few other things). Of course, the electrician says he needs to pull off every wall plate, socket, light fixture, etc, so he can check the connections. To the tune of approx $400 plus the minor damage to my walls and ceiling and the touch up painting I'll have to deal with over the entire apartment. And the management company said yes, this is what they require. To check for "frayed wires."

What steams me even further is that my neighbor who just moved in a few months before me didn't have to do this electrical check.

I can't believe this is even remotely standard in co-ops. And frankly, I don't even understand the rationale - I get making sure you use a certified electrician when you do renovations. But this seems like a very expensive fishing expedition.

Any thoughts on the above? I'm not really sure where to take it next - if I should just suck it up or argue further...

(FWIW, I live in a Westchester co-op, so they aren't as crazy as Manhattan ones - but still crazy co-op nonetheless)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 03:39 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,106 times
First, it is YOUR mistake not the attorney!

YOU read it and made the presumption. YOU brought the Contract and its contents to him. Questions are YOURS to ask. YOU could have asked your Realtor, the Sellers, or the Coop Board during the interview. Apparently, you did not. IF you had asked your attorney, he simply w/h made the same inquiries.

The fact is the "inspection", as you presumed, is, indeed, an "inspection"! The $400 cost is relativel inexpensive and reasonable. Surely, you did not think it w/b $20?

Checking for "frayed wires" is an intelligent preventative action. Specifically, in older buildings. If it wasn't required before, I imagine it is because the Coop has a 'new' (fire) insurance policy, and the insurer requires the electrical inspection or the results therefrom. Would you like to be burnt out, because your coop neighbor has poor wiiring, resulting in a fire?

The new policy likely came into effect in or around your move in date. C'est la vie!

I'm sure if YOU had perused the Board's minutes, annoucements, etc., over the last six months, you would have noted the new "electrical check up", as well as any other planned or in the process coop/individual expenditures or requirements.

I wonder, did you inquire of any upcoming 'Assessments'? If there are, you think you're pissed now, just wait!

It doesn't matter whether it is "standard" for coops. What does matter is what YOUR coop demands and requiires.

Stop whinning, accept responsibility, and pay up. Afterall, it really is pretty minor in the scheme of things; and, does provide a measure of security.

Plus, it is not the best way to start new relationships with the Board and your fellow Coop members, by getting into a fight over $400! I guarantee, the future holds more substantive disputes to come....

Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
I think you will just have to suck it up becasue no legal battle is cheaper than $400.
In general, ALL coops share the rules that anything IN the walls is the responsibility of the co-op but your co-op seems to be trying to shove the rresponsibility onto YOU.

Sounds like a very annoying co-op board.
(I DO hope they don't try to make you responsible for the plumbing too.)

Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
I would be happy for the inspection. Having a fire in an apartment is not a joke.

When I moved into my Co-Op, after a few months I wanted a different color "light and socket" switch for the bathroom, so when the electrician took off the old switch plate, he found newspaper stuffed around my light switch, (I am guessing to stop any air flow), but newspaper !!!! are you kidding me, talk about a fire hazzard. What if there was a spark when the light was turned on or off and a spark ignited the newspaper in the wall then a fire started.

So I would tickeled pink if all my sockets and lights were inspected, no cost is to much for avoiding a fire.

PS: After finding the newspaper, i had them all removed and checked.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:14 PM

I've pulled mine off and installed DECORA Rocker type swithches and replaced the plugs and covers becasue the holes were filled with layers of dried paint. It's a cheap way to get a nice look and I am sure everything is tight (and no newspaper...I stuffed in oily rags instead. )

I doubt I spent $25 on the entire apartment.

And when I paint or get painted, I remove all the cover plates and cover the switches and plugs with masking tape.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
I have heard of this in certain Manhattan co-ops, including one that we had to sell last year as part of an estate process. However, rather than have the onus fall on the purchaser, we had an electrician go through the unit (with the co-op's knowledge/blessing, and using their preferred electrician) prior to getting the unit ready for sale. Perhaps this is what happened with your neighbor's unit, and that's why they did not have to have the inspection performed after purchase.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I've pulled mine off and installed DECORA Rocker type swithches and replaced the plugs and covers becasue the holes were filled with layers of dried paint. It's a cheap way to get a nice look and I am sure everything is tight (and no newspaper...I stuffed in oily rags instead. )

I doubt I spent $25 on the entire apartment.

And when I paint or get painted, I remove all the cover plates and cover the switches and plugs with masking tape.

same here, all the sockets and switches got replaced in my apartment also. They look much better and now at least dont have 600 coats of paint on them, and like you say, when you paint just remove the plates.

simple and easy, gotta love electricians.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:26 PM

And the nice thing, Home Depot sells them in 3 colors and one of them is actually the same Navaho White (creamy beige) that half the apartments in NYC are painted...(perfect match.) Same with the beige phone cords.
It's a conspiracy, but in this case, a GOOD one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: