U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,229 times

Advertisements

We are flying into New York City and Driving to Ft. Drum in Watertown, New York to see our son who is returning from Afghanistan. What route would you suggest to see scenic New York - we have some time on Sunday morning to just cruise as we make our way north. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,159,563 times
No clue where Watertown is but I just want to say thanks to your son for fighting for our country.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 PM

2,867 posts, read 4,577,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
No clue where Watertown is but I just want to say thanks to your son for fighting for our country.
Reps for that man Same here O/P. My nephew did his tour in Afghanistan with the Marines. He's now in Hawaii.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 AM

147 posts, read 352,262 times
That's a long drive ahead of you. I'd probably say(if you don't care about time), from the airport, cross the throggs neck to 95 to the hutchinson river pkwy, then take the cross island pkwy to the bronx river pkwy. Take that to Route 9 and you get to go through all the hudson river towns up to west point. Cross the Newburgh Beacon bridge which is I-84 and you can either take it west all the way and miss out on some of the mountains or to really go out of the way, take I-87 to route 28 near Woodstock and through a bunch of the Catskills. Take that all the way to I-88 W, then jump on I-81 heading north and pass through Syracuse all the way to Watertown. That might be a lot of driving to do in one day, i'd figure between 7-8 hours. Direct would be I-84 to I-81 which could be done in 6 or so. You'd be missing all the Adirondacks, but you have to head much further East to see them.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 AM

543 posts, read 1,479,911 times
Thanks as well to your son. This is a long drive. Can you fly in somewhere closer (Syracuse, Albany, Rochester or even Ottawa?) You would still have a decent drive (and the rental car wil be way less money).

Enjoy

Old 09-21-2012, 09:00 AM

242 posts, read 1,142,525 times
Ninintothevoid suggested a good route. An alternative would be the Tappan Zee bridge to Rt 17 through Binghamton where you would pick up I-81 north. Rt 17 can be really pretty in spots- goes through some really remote areas.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,229 times
Thank you for all your help - we really appreciate it and will pass your kind words to our son.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:53 PM

6 posts, read 14,681 times
Default Thanks!

As a Canadian living in the USA, I also have to say thanks also for fighting for our countries and respect for your bravery.

With regards to the drive from NYC to Watertown I have to disagree with everyone. I do the drive from Brooklyn to Watertown about 6 times a year for the last 5 years.

Not sure which airport you're flying into, but even from JFK (the farthest airport from Watertown), the distance is only around 350-375 miles depending on which route you take. I stick to the interstates, because I always want to make good time, and it takes me anywhere from 5-5 1/2 hours depending how fast I drive.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 14,681 times
Default Dohh!

Oh crap, sorry, just saw that last post was almost a year ago. Doubt if my info is going to help you now lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City