Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I live in NYC and have NOT seen the following attractions?
Ellis Island (got off the boat and toured it) 12 54.55%
The Statue of Liberty (got off the boat) 12 54.55%
The Empire State Building (to the top) 7 31.82%
Ground Zero (World Trade Center Site since 9/11) 11 50.00%
Central Park (actually walking inside it) 11 50.00%
Rockefeller Center 11 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:31 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

I have been to all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 05:41 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Ive been most places twice , these days I don't really go to tourist places ...mainly to see friends in the outer boroughs...
-Been to Ellis Island x2
-Went up to the top of the Statue of Liberty x5
-Ridden the State Island Ferry 5x
-Visited the Original World Trade Center 6x
-Ate at the Windows on the World Restaurant 2x
-Been to the Museum of Natural History 8x
-The Jewish Museum 4x
-Lincoln Center 2x
-Ridden the Roosevelt Tramway 2x
-Walked across the Brooklyn Bridge 6x
-Walked through Central Park 8x
-Went to a Christmas Mass at St. Patricks 2x
-Done all the Tourist crap in Times SQ 3x
-Been to Coney Island Aquarium 3x
-Been to the Coney Island Boardwalk 2x
-Been to the Bronx Zoo 7x
-Been to the Bronx Botanical Gardens 4x
-Been to the Top of the Rock 1x
-Been to a Rockefeller Christmas Tree lighting 2x
-Been to the South Street Seaport 8x
-Been to all important Lower Manhattan Historical sites
-Toured the stock Exchange
-Been to Inwood Park

---Photographed the following Stations
IRT Lexington Avenue line : 19 out 23 stations
IND 8th Avenue line : 12 out of 30 Stations
IND Queens Boulevard Line : 8 out of 24 Stations
IRT Flushing Line : 10 out of 21 Stations
BMT Broadway Line : 11 out of 16 Stations
IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line : 18 out of 44 Stations
IND Sixth Avenue Line : 8 out of 14 Stations
Entire PATH System
All Long Island Railroad Main line stations
Hell Gate line in Astoria
West Side line

Places I haven't visited yet ...

Empire State Building
any Broadway Theater
Pelham Bay Park
City Island
Yankee Stadium

Old 09-22-2012, 08:16 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
I don't know about today, but Natives of a certain generation did Field Trips in grammer scholl to the Empire State and the statute of Liberty. I suppose Ellis Island w/h been included, but had not been renovated at thatt time.

The other places on your list, save Cental Park, for NYers are places of WORK! Not tourist attractions.

World Trade Center was a major office building, most anyone working downtown whave been effected by its presence and its transformation as Ground Zero. There is a major roadway which passes right next to it, so the innumerable people who pass by on a daily or weeekly basis have a front row seat.

In addition to this, NYers lived through the whole e ent live in person, and many people were effected, personally, one way or another.

Tourists, most of whom did not witness the event, and have no direct connection, I believe have a need to in some way 'connect'. That is the explanation as to the popularity of GZ, as a tourists attraction.

Rockefelller Center, again also in grammer school, Field Trip. On the trip, we saw a movie, Joh Wayne in True Grit.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:48 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
Seriously, you live in NYC and have not seen any of the popular tourist attrractions on my list? Incredible!
I'm not one of these googly eyed effeminate tourists. I'm a man first and foremost.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
All of those and more.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:13 AM

222 posts, read 714,757 times
I have lived in Manhattan for over 30 years and have visited all of the places you mentioned except the Ground Zero site. I did go to the World Trade Center as a tourist twice and worked as a temp in an office there. Living downtown I was badly affected by 9/11. The stench was in the air for weeks and the posters for the missing were all over my neighborhood for months. I also had to evacuate the subway twice because of anthrax scares. I really have no desire to go to Ground Zero and relive these memories, though, I can understand why people from out of town would want to see go there. Most of my friends in NYC feel the same way about the Ground Zero site as I do.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:03 AM

877 posts, read 2,012,702 times
I really don't understand why Ground Zero is considered an "attraction" - it's a sad, sad place and people go there to pay their respects but when you actually go for "fun" (bad wording), it's wrong.

But yeah, I've been to the Statue of Liberty when I was younger, Ellis Island for a class trip, Rockefeller Center (this used to be our family tradition when i was younger), and Central Park.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
I talk to friends and relatives that live in Queens and Brooklyn who pretty much never go into Manhattan. Nor have they seen the various tourist attractions people from all over world come to New York to see. No interest.

How about you, have you seen these tourist attractions and if not, why?
I have, Partly due to my line of work I am in.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:53 AM

499 posts, read 793,814 times
I've seen them all, and proudly say so. Even if these monuments now seem like cliche' tourist attractions, it doesn't make them any less significant to our cultural and architectural history. I could understand the folks who don't time to see them, but I feel sorry for the ones who are proud to keep themselves in the dark.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:34 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
GCT should be on this list instead of Rock Center, much more of a tourist attraction apart from the Christmas tree. And I've been to all but Ellis and Liberty Islands. You're a native when you forget the Statue of Liberty exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City