Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 AM

7 posts, read 43,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
There are some coops shareholders pay their own heat.
How did you buy this without verifying this stuff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
How would ANY of us know how YOUR coop functions?

Your question presumes that EVERY coop functions in precisely the same manner. They do not!

You need to inquire with Seller, the coop board, or the management company.

Like someone said, how did you make this purchase w/o knowing ALL the particulars???
I had just assumed electric and cooking gas were not included. All the co-ops I saw definitely didn't include electric, and I figured cooking gas cost would be negligible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 43,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My co-op has a single meter for gas and a single meter for electricity and hundreds of tenants share the gas and electric from these two meters. Both are included as a constant in my maintenance bill and I pay a surcharge only per air conditioner ($15 a month) Of course, heat is included also.
It is nice having a CONSTANT bill covering everything. Add that to a Verizon Triple play and all my communications utilities are constant also. Budgeting become pretty easy. Budgeting become pretty easy. Maintenance + Verizon + Netflix = Total Fixed Expenses

Friend in Queens at the HOWARD co-ops has similar...heat and cooking gas in Maintenance but they keep a separate billing for the electicity. Although it is a single meter, the tenants pay a set amount based on apartment size (# of shares.) She pays, I believe, about $83 a month for electricity with 4 rooms...Winter and Summer.
(So Jack, if you bought in the Howard on 66th Road, I answered your question.)

Tenants ultimately pay LESS with a single meter becasue Con-Ed makes deals with large purchasers, because they need only read one meter, send out ONE bill, keep track of ONE account instead of hundreds with a large co-op individually metered. Even builders benefit by not needing to put in hundreds of gas and electric meters...they don't come cheap.
Of course that means that some are wasteful. If I had to pay for every Kwhr, I would have been FAR less comfortable this Summer. My AC was rarely off...I treat it like Central Air.
Some people here leave their lights on 24 hours a day, not me.

Jack,
Just call your management company and ask how electricity and gas are paid? Easy Peasy.
Thanks. I looked through the offering plan (does anyone actually even read this?), and it looks like Brooklyn Union Gas Company takes care of the gas and ConEd takes care of the electric, both of which are the tenants responsibility. I don't know if it's changed since it was written, but I guess I'll find out.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Jack,
Alterntively, you can go downstairs to the meter room. If you find gas and electric meters with your apartment number, odds are good you will be sending two extra checks each month. (Big pain in the ass.)

My last gas bill was 1987 and it for cooking gas only in a rental. What INFURIATED me each month was to see:

Gas SERVICE fee: $5.50
Gas USAGE: $.17
Total $ 5.67.

Thus the actual cost of gas used was 3% of the bill.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:01 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcambridge View Post
Thanks. I looked through the offering plan (does anyone actually even read this?), and it looks like Brooklyn Union Gas Company takes care of the gas and ConEd takes care of the electric, both of which are the tenants responsibility. I don't know if it's changed since it was written, but I guess I'll find out.

Yes, I read mine in it's entirety.

Brooklyn Union gas is national Grid for years already.

Our co-op, here in brooklyn, we pay our own electric, and just gas for the stove.
heat & hot water and real etstae taxes are included in the maintenance

Old 01-31-2019, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 2,523 times
I have a Co-op in queens with 1 water meter supplying 100 families. Out of the 100 there are 40 shareholders with a washing machine, Now water and sewer rates went up, and the board only wants to charge the 40 with the increase. They are saying
the washing machines are using more water how can they tell with 1 water meter supplying 100 families. Is that fair. Or should all bear the cost.

Last edited by joehand1022; 01-31-2019 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehand1022 View Post
I have a Co-op in queens with 1 water meter supplying 100 families. Out of the 100 there are 40 shareholders with a washing machine, Now water and sewer rates went up, and the board only wants to charge the 40 with the increase. They are saying
the washing machines are using more water how can they tell with 1 water meter supplying 100 families. Is the fair. Or should all bear the cost.
Sounds fair to me. All the previous years, the owners without washing machines have essentially been subsidizing the owners who do have machines. Now it's time to even things out a little.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:14 PM

Ok maybe i didn't explain it right we are already paying for the washing machine cost of $16.50 a month which they want to add on another $13.50. Also the sprinkler system that is supplying 50 2 story co-op buildings are also on that water meter
that is a lot of property to water so who is paying for that.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:16 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,531 times
Quote:
the washing machines are using more water how can they tell with 1 water meter supplying 100 families. Is that fair. Or should all bear the cost.
This is 100% fair!

The same way there is a surcharge for Air conditioners and Deep Freezers, there is a surcharge for washing machines too. When I was in NYCHA we had surcharges for them per tenant on top of what ever the flat rent was. Coops is the same and I am surprised there wasn't a surcharge all along.

Quote:
Ok maybe i didn't explain it right we are already paying for the washing machine cost of $16.50 a month which they want to add on another $13.50. Also the sprinkler system that is supplying 50 2 story co-op buildings are also on that water meter
that is a lot of property to water so who is paying for that.
If the price of water goes up the charge is passed on to the tenant that uses more water. Its fair.

Of course you can always lie and say the machine does not work and keep using it without them knowing

Old 01-31-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
This is 100% fair!

The same way there is a surcharge for Air conditioners and Deep Freezers, there is a surcharge for washing machines too. When I was in NYCHA we had surcharges for them per tenant on top of what ever the flat rent was. Coops is the same and I am surprised there wasn't a surcharge all along.

If the price of water goes up the charge is passed on to the tenant that uses more water. Its fair.

Of course you can always lie and say the machine does not work and keep using it without them knowing
Ok, You say the charge gets pass on to the tenant that uses more water. Let me give you a scenario i am two with a washer that i use once a week. My next door neighbor is 5 without a washer. And the DEP says the most water is used in the bathroom. So who is using more water on a daily basis. We also have tenants
that go on vacation for 6 months out of the year. Should they also paid the extra surcharge for the washer they are not using.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:27 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,531 times
Quote:
Ok, You say the charge gets pass on to the tenant that uses more water. Let me give you a scenario i am two with a washer that i use once a week. My next door neighbor is 5 without a washer. And the DEP says the most water is used in the bathroom. So who is using more water on a daily basis. We also have tenants
that go on vacation for 6 months out of the year. Should they also paid the extra surcharge for the washer they are not using.
Everyone have different scenarios that caters differently and management cannot make everyone happy or no one will be happy.

For instance when I was in NYCHA I was among the lines of the tenant that goes away for months at a time. I still had to pay for the washing machine even though I wasn't there using it for 3 months straight. Hell they even charged me the air condition fee all year round even though it was unplugged and removed from the window during fall, winter and spring.

I would just lie and say the machine is broken so they stop charging you for it. but hey that just me (my life experience is that honesty get you screwed in the end) lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City