Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:27 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,361,055 times

Advertisements

It seems that periodically people are visiting my neighbors (in the apt. above mine and the apt. next door to mine) in the middle of the night (from midnight onwards) ring my intercom buzzer to be let in my apt. building rather than the person that they are coming to. Last night it happened at 3 AM in the morning and then I heard people walking around rather heavily in the apt. above mine at that hour. I was wondering if this ever happens to other people as it is quite annoying and why people can't be more careful about which buzzer they are pressing in the middle of the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 07:55 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,844 times
Because people that buy drugs late in the night often times are wacked out of their minds.
It messes with the vision.
Apt #9C when high on crystal methamphetamine can easily be mistaken for Apt #1M.
My dealers neighbors were lucky with me.
I only screwed up when I mixed my crack cocaine with angel dust.

Dope Sick Love Clip: Meet the Characters - YouTube

Old 09-22-2012, 10:44 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
That happened ONE time in the 2 years I lived in an apartment with that type of buzzer. Super late. Super annoying.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:36 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,267 times
My story is a little different than yours, I installed a new door bell two years ago.
And once in a while it seems to go off by itself, there was no one at the door when
I try to answer the door bell. I thought it was some kids playing pranks at first, but
I'm pretty fast to the door no one can run away that fast. It's getting creepier and
frustrating after answering the door bell late at night and no one was at the door.

And then one night I notice something like a small dark cloud with feets was floating
away Gangnam style as I open the door. Then I knew it was a poltergeist!

Well...... Not really.

I actually saw a woman standing outside the house across the street and about 4
houses down the block. My door bell go off again as I watched that woman across
the street seems to press my neighbor's door bell one more time. Since there was
no switch for changing the radio frequency or signal of my cheap door bell, I bought
a new door bell the next day and there are no problem since.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:59 PM

156 posts, read 285,588 times
Had it happen when I lived on UWS. Person started ringing about 2 am. I answered, nobody I knew, and couldn't make sense of him. He claimed he was "Maria's" boyfriend, who ostensibly lived in the building. I then told him to stop ringing, I knew neither him nor his girlfriend and had no intention of ringing him in. Mercifully, my husband, then my boyfriend got on the intercom and spoke roughly to him; no matter, he just kept ringing. Finally I called the police. To my dismay, they brought him to my apartment door! I'd never seen him in my life. Police said he was high. I still was disturbed because now he had seen me, and a high fellow who carried a grudge, no matter how unwarranted, is not something I wanted. But nothing else happened over the next months, and then we left the city. (Bad boo-boo, but that is another story.)

Old 09-22-2012, 04:05 PM

387 posts, read 680,062 times
When I lived in a building & when somthing like that happens I would ignore it. If it continued I would call the 911 & tell them a man brandsihing a weapon was trying to break in. Problem sloved.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:36 PM

156 posts, read 285,588 times
Baby, hard to ignore someone ringing your bell constantly for over an hour! We did stop answering very quickly but it didn't stop him.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:35 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,624,300 times
It happens to me in my apartment because my bell is all the way the last one on the pad and next to mine there is an additional busser just for the super.......ugh, people don't focus and ring mine, but I look out the window, look down and know they are not for me, so I don't answer.
Happens more during the day, not really at night, luckily....

Not that I would ever ring anyone in or answer the bell in the night time anyway. I don't get drop ins.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,059 times
Happens to me all the time.

Since I'm on the first floor people seem to think "Oh she's close to the front of the building so it's nothing for her to buzz me in.", jerks! I don't answer since I don't get drop-ins either.

I've had the 2, 3, 4am buzzing too. This pain in the butt continuously rang my buzzer for hours after I asked who it was but I didn't let them in since I didn't know them. I ended up calling the police and they asked once they got here for me to come out. I told them no way was I going to let that person see who I was since I lived alone.

I remember watching some documentary on homeless/drug addicts in Manhattan, they would buzz apartment buildings for access in order to have a place to sleep and also do their drugs w/o being disturbed usually by going to the building's roof.

Palomalou, I would have spoke to the police through the door.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 AM

81 posts, read 175,638 times
I don't have a doorbell on my apartment, and I love it. Anyone who actually knows us and needs to be let in will call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: