Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:09 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
What can Broadway do to get more participation by ethnic minorities, younger people, and men?

Blacks aren't the only minorities and are no longer the largest minority in the country or in NYC. Doesn't the stats say that Hispanics are the now the majority minority and in some areas the minority-majority? To get more minorities, maybe Broadway should start presenting their shows in Spanish? If the stats posted in OP are correct, and btw I agree with another poster that's not bad especially considering Blacks are 13% of the total population. That 4% of Blacks buying B'way tickets represents over 1/3 of the Black population (percentage-wise) so Blacks have done their part and should not be expected to carry the rest of the load nor expected to compete with Whites in high percentages of purchasing tickets. Look to Hispanics to step up and support these American institutions, it's their time now. They have the sheer numbers, they largely have intact two-parent families, large extended families, low death rate among their young men, lower incarceration rate (than Blacks), they're mostly employed (even off the books or under the table pay). Look to them, it's their time now.
I agree just don't do Westside Story again. Seriously everyone should always be included and no one should have "a time". There should frequently be a play with a primarily Latino cast, or one of the Asian groups, as well as Blacks, or just a mixture of different races of actors playing parts. If the play is just Americans why can't an Asian actor play a character that married to a White actor, playing the spouse? Why can't a Black actor play the spouses sibling,? Especially if it is not ethnically based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 02:34 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times
Broadway, and New York theater in general, does a good job of appealing to African-American audiences—especially when you consider the demographics of the people who usually go to the theater on a regular basis. Attending live performance, like attending live sporting events, is a cultural tradition. A large percentage of non-tourist theater audiences are either gay, Jewish, or both. These groups have a very long cultural tradition of attending live performances—and why there a so many shows, especially Off-Broadway, on gay or Jewish themes.

I’ve worked in theater all my life and know that it’s very hard to get African-Americans (and Latinos) to attend—whatever the content of the show. It’s simply not on their list of discretionary leisure activities.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:00 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
I've been to rock concerts with an even smaller % of black Americans in the audience.

So what? Not everyone in America likes the same kind of entertainment.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:25 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,003 times
Quote:
What can Broadway do to get more participation by ethnic minorities, younger people, and men?

Blacks aren't the only minorities and are no longer the largest minority in the country or in NYC. Doesn't the stats say that Hispanics are the now the majority minority and in some areas the minority-majority? To get more minorities, maybe Broadway should start presenting their shows in Spanish? If the stats posted in OP are correct, and btw I agree with another poster that's not bad especially considering Blacks are 13% of the total population. That 4% of Blacks buying B'way tickets represents over 1/3 of the Black population (percentage-wise) so Blacks have done their part and should not be expected to carry the rest of the load nor expected to compete with Whites in high percentages of purchasing tickets. Look to Hispanics to step up and support these American institutions, it's their time now. They have the sheer numbers, they largely have intact two-parent families, large extended families, low death rate among their young men, lower incarceration rate (than Blacks), they're mostly employed (even off the books or under the table pay). Look to them, it's their time now.
Every race is largely employed, lol. that's nothing special

Old 11-25-2013, 03:40 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Broadway, and New York theater in general, does a good job of appealing to African-American audiences—especially when you consider the demographics of the people who usually go to the theater on a regular basis. Attending live performance, like attending live sporting events, is a cultural tradition. A large percentage of non-tourist theater audiences are either gay, Jewish, or both. These groups have a very long cultural tradition of attending live performances—and why there a so many shows, especially Off-Broadway, on gay or Jewish themes.

I’ve worked in theater all my life and know that it’s very hard to get African-Americans (and Latinos) to attend—whatever the content of the show. It’s simply not on their list of discretionary leisure activities.
Are you stating that there are people that are not Black, that attend shows on a regular basis, that have enough interest to keep primarily Black or significant amount of Black casted shows on Broadway? Because in the past few seasons there have been quite a few shows with a significant Black cast.

Given the employment situation in America right now even with experienced, qualified, skilled, Black people in any industry, the unemployment rates are high. Concerning Black performers, Whites and others only tend to pay to see the ones that are popular with other Blacks. That is why Jaime Foxx says he is interested in what a Black person in Harlem, or Chicago's South Side thinks of his latest performance. Because he knows that if the Black audiences of the major cities with the highest Black populations won't spend money to see him, neither will Whites or any others.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:56 PM

338 posts, read 676,814 times
I don't understand the "Broadway used to exclude blacks so why should I give them my business now?" response. If you're talking about a historical trend that had ramifications down the line (i.e., that blacks were never targeted as a niche market so going to plays isn't part of their culture) that's one thing but it sounds more personal. EVERYTHING in America was less available to blacks 50 years ago--are you refusing to rent apartments then? Refusing to send your kids to schools? Refusing to ride the bus? Refusing to vote? You're talking about something that happened 3-4 generations ago--does it still rankle that badly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Clearly no one read my post closely, neither your nor Doobage. I said

"There is little on Broadway with black themes, music or stars to attract a mass black audience."

There have always been other black folks at every show I've ever seen, even those far removed from anybody's idea of everyday black life. (There were plenty of us in the audience at a performance of the recent revival of Follies, for example) But in great numbers? En masse? No, no, no.

Those shows that attract large numbers of black theatergoers are shows like the ones I've cited. It's the same reason you'll see greater numbers of Jews at Fiddler on The Roof or Asians at M. Butterfly or gays at Angels in America. I don't think that's unusual, unnatural, stereotypical, or a problem. People respond to art and entertainment that's directly aimed at them, simple as that. And producers who think they can tap into a large response from any demographic -- and make money off it -- will produce that show.

And of course, even then it doesn't always work. The Scottsboro Boys was a totally brilliant musical. When I recommended it to several friends they all couldn't deal with a musical on such a tragic and sad subject, couldn't believe such a thing could even be a musical. The show closed quickly. Such is show business.
My friend Randy was one of the producers of Scottsboro Boys! And yes, sadly, a lot of more daring shows like that do not always find their audience right away. By and large Broadway is commercial and meant to appeal to a wide audience, which often precludes a more artistic angle.

Quote:
There is no Broadway show on Earth worth $200. I only go to Broadway shows when I can get half-off or buy one get one deals. I've been trying to take my kid to see The Lion King for the past three years. Ticket prices start at $160!! No sales ever. Eff that. The only people willing to pay those prices (for the most part) are tourists.
Go to TKTS! You should easily be able to find half price tix for a show that's been running as long as The Lion King. And your kid will LOVE it, it's an amazing show!

Old 11-25-2013, 05:30 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Are you stating that there are people that are not Black, that attend shows on a regular basis, that have enough interest to keep primarily Black or significant amount of Black casted shows on Broadway? Because in the past few seasons there have been quite a few shows with a significant Black cast.
People who enjoy theater will see good theater. Period. If I see Denzel Washington in A Raisin in the Sun, it’s because he’s a great actor in a great play. It’s the same reason I want to see Ian McKellen in Waiting for Godot. Race has nothing to do with it.

If I only saw plays about characters that are exactly like me, I wouldn’t go to the theater very often. I think the notion of “identity theater” is limited and silly.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:43 PM

136 posts, read 116,709 times
Quote:

Latino is not a race. LOL Is Sammy Sosa not black? The last time I checked he has African features and dark skin, until he started bleaching. There are many other Afro Latinos living in NYC. I just find it interesting that whites continue to focus on blacks despite the fact that we are NOT the number one minority in terms of numbers. The person who started this topic didn't make statements about Latinos or Asians, he specifically targeted blacks.

There are plenty of undocumented Hispanics in the NY-tri state area and many are not fluent in English. I doubt that the majority of NYC based Hispanics, who are mostly working class will be purchasing even 5% of the broadway tickets.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Blacks go to plays on Broadway. Just a little further uptown:

Beacon Theatre - Official Web Site - New York City

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-25-2013, 05:54 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,230,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post

Go to TKTS! You should easily be able to find half price tix for a show that's been running as long as The Lion King. And your kid will LOVE it, it's an amazing show!
Lion King still sells out a normal price. Their tickets don't go to TKTS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City